I want a scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

teufler

you can find some good buys on a 396xt (portable) or a 996xt base mobile. Cass Cty and the cty that Niles is in are using p25 type 1. These two scanners will handle the "mail" fine.

4x4given

And... you could build one (cheaply) that works very well. Raspberry Pi3 + RTL USB dongle + simple instructions = good P25 (both phase 1 and 2) scanner.

I am listening to the one I built yesterday now. Clear audio. Everything in Johnson County, TX (Phase 2). PM me for write up on how.

Cheers!

Get a Scanner unless you want to be bogged down by power packs, bluetooth keyboards/mice & touchscreens & stylus..
Pi's are great, Ive got 2, for TCP SDR & a STRATUX station...But they are far from convenient & no where
near entry level user friendly, even if you know Linux..Alot of code to write to get the parts to play nice together..

Get a SCANNER..Unidens are my Fav after GRE closed down..the 396XT is fantastic. Receives awesome, Portable & small...Truely Pocket sized. A BOATLOAD of memory..

Dont pay more than 200-225$ for a PreOwned...Be Patient & Search EBAY..A buynow will pop up and you can score a great deal..

Get the ARCXT Software,,itsalso very good, even better if you can navigate MS/Excel...

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
The 396XT is a great little scanner. If you have the money, I would get the 436HP instead though. It has cool features such as RECORD capability, it can do P25 Phase I and I, DMR, ProVoice. You can punch in a zip code anywhere you travel and instantly get all the frequencies.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Or you can have a GPS installed internally, and have your location automatically update itself constantly as you travel, so you always hear local traffic as you travel without having to manually turn things on and off.

Status
Not open for further replies.