Selfridge ANG

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfjs93

Hello, I am new here and have some questions about Selfridge ANG. If this topic is not to be posted here, please delete it or move it where it has to go, I'm not trying to look for any trouble and I apologize in advance if I made a mistake.

I am planning to come out for the upcoming April or May 2018 ANG drill weekend as my understanding to that is when flying is most likely happening. My goal is wanting to get some landing pictures of the A-10's on final approach.

I'd like to know how spotting around the base is and weather or not I would get told to leave/if they are ok with photography.

Thanks for the help!

Michael

kc8vlv

Sir, selfridge security restrictions doesn't allow any still photography of Landings or Take offs ,
William Russo Hwy ,is Heavyily patrolled, by base security, Harrison Twp police, Macomb County Sheriff's department, Michigan state police. There are multiple security cameras along the northern Parameter fences

As for flight operations,

nodak1crdet3

Selfridge

Hello mfjs93,
Chuck in Detroit here. It's been years since I've hung out at Selfridge /MTC, but I'll do what I can to help. As far as spotting around MTC. On the North side you have Hall Rd I would not park along there. For morning flights if they are landing runway 19, you might want to go to Sugarbush Rd off of 21 Mile Rd. Take that south all the way to the end. For aftenoon flights there is a road just east of I-94 that the new Cabella's is on. I've parked along there sometimes and had no problem. On the west side of I-94 you have a Wally World (Wal-Mart) & Menards that you can park & watch landings just north of Hall Rd / M-59. On the South side there was a good spot to park at Old North River Rd & Bridgeview, but there are No Parking & No Trespassing signs all around there now. So you might have to go south on Bridgview to South River Rd to find a spot around there, if they're landing runway 01.

The A-10's normally fly Monday thru Thursday around 9am & then again around 1pm. The KC-135's should fly around the same times. Coast Guard HH65 will also be around, might catch some Border patrol helo's or aircraft during the day. The CH-47's might also fly during the day. The drill weekend for the A-10's "might be" the first weekend of the month, but I'm not possitive about that.

The A-10's have been doing some night time flying recently. That usually means they're getting ready to deploy overseas.
I hope this helps.

mfjs93

Thanks guys! I talked to public affairs as well. Yes, they told me not to park on Hall Rd William P. Rosso, that was not my planned spot to take pictures anyways it's very dangerous because it's a 45-50 MPH highway. I was pretty much told as long as I'm not parked around the perimeter fences I should be ok. My planned spot was indeed the new road Cabela's is on, they said that was fine.

Michael

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
There is a spot that some guys use during the air shows (see yellow circles). The local cops have been know to chase people out of there due to traffic and parking problems. During normal times. No one would be around there on a normal day other than people working in the area.

Attachments

• SANG-1 (Small).jpg
    SANG-1 (Small).jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 135
  • SANG-2 (Small).jpg
    SANG-2 (Small).jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 136
Status
Not open for further replies.