Legally Carring A scanner in the vehicle w/ a ham license

Status
Not open for further replies.

devolic

I read that I have to secure a permit from the director of the MSP to legally carry a scanner if I'm an amateur radio operator? How do I go about doing that? Do I just go to my local post and fill out info?

radioron231

That used to be the law but it changed in Michigan years ago. Anyone can legally use a scanner in their car now unless it's being used for illegal purposes. Under the old law you would complete an application with MSP and include a copy of your ham license and they would issue the permit to you. But fortunately now you do not need a permit.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Prior to the change in the law, Michigan residents that did not have an amateur radio license could still have a scanner in their vehicle. All they had to do is have a clean record, and send a letter to the Chief of Michigan State Police, and they would send you a personalized radio permit signed by the Chief. I did it for years. I still have the last one they issued.

scannerman5000

Premium Subscriber
I have put some thought into this particular subject in times past, and we all know that not all LEO's are "in the know" of this law, so I came up with a potential solution.

I printed off a label with the MCL (MCL 750.508) and placed it on my Homepatrol 1 (installed on the dash at the drivers side window). That would allow an officer to see the law and have a reference.

mikey60

It's been 11 and a half years (November 2006) since that law changed. You would think the officers would know by now. That being said, it's still probably not a bad idea to have access to a copy of the law, even if it's just on a cell phone.

Last I knew, Livonia still had a law on the books that mirrored the old state law. I remember someone mentioning that they thought that had changed but I can't recall. Local laws could still be an issue...

Mike

radioron231

Yes the officers should know by now but it's a good idea to have a copy with you. Also your FCC amateur radio license supersedes any local laws.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.