Oakland County Open Sky transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

jasonpeoria911

Database Admin
So has the transition started yet for the Open Sky system? Has anyone noticed any busy talkgroups going silent for long periods of times?

Jason

radioron231

jasonpeoria911 said:
So has the transition started yet for the Open Sky system? Has anyone noticed any busy talkgroups going silent for long periods of times?

Jason

The city of Troy is halfway thru the conversion now, only one week left. Sometime after Jan 31st, they will no longer be heard on their old VHF freq's.

Troy FD will always simulcast their primary dispatch talkgroup onto VHF because of the volunteers pagers.

I am new to this. So is my bcd396t useless for the oakland clemis open sky? Any help would be awesome. I hear nothing when i program this system into my scanner.

gpp10x

Premium Subscriber
No scanner currently on the market will monitor the open sky system. There have been many discussions in this forum as to whether or not a scanner capable of monitoring open sky will ever be produced.

Last edited:

diskmonger

The city of Troy is halfway thru the conversion now, only one week left. Sometime after Jan 31st, they will no longer be heard on their old VHF freq's.

Troy FD will always simulcast their primary dispatch talkgroup onto VHF because of the volunteers pagers.

Hmm, that switchover date just seems to get pushed out further and further. I wonder what the next "switchover" date will be after Jan 31st comes and goes.

BT202

Premium Subscriber
Hmm, that switchover date just seems to get pushed out further and further. I wonder what the next "switchover" date will be after Jan 31st comes and goes.

Actually, there is no one 'switchover' date. The implementation is being done in stages. It would be impossible to have everybody throw the switch at the same time. So far, Troy, Farmington City, Rochester City, and Lake Orion are on the System. Waterford Township PD will be on by December 1, with their fire going over sometime after. Bloomfield is training at the end of November and early December, and should be on by mid to late December.

Pete
WWW.Glass-Cockpit.Org

fnnm1062

longtime member
first off, if a mod could move this so that all oakland county opensky is in the folder above, please and thank you.

Second, like mentioned above there is no set implementataion date, and it is slowly being done in stages, and if the system ever gets fully operational there will be a date that may be set to disable the simulcasts but that is unknown at this time. So far the only agencies that I know that are using it extensively are Troy, Clawson, Farmington City, and Auburn Hills. I do understand that Waterford and Bloomfield Twps are doing some testing/training on it. Other agencies throughout the county also have a couple of the radios but they are not being used at this time or used only for testing, with no dates being set at this time for when they would even think of going to the new system like Orion Twp Fire, Oxford, and Independence. To the best of my knowledge Lake Orion Police, Southfield Police and Fire and Lathrup Village Police will not be joining the OpenSky system and will be staying on their UHF freqs.

MOTST

Great video within that link DRich17. 36 RF sites and counting to achieve an 80% coverage number. I am assuming that 80% goal is in building portable coverage allowing for a much greater number for mobiles? Wonder what the number is for the SOM 8 tower system.

The out of range feature is cool. Hmmmm Hope it's a low current draw feature. I think the old system has that feature available as well, but maybe they haven't heard it before :)

i5adam8

I don't think other agencies took that long to migrate over to other radio systems. I believe when Ingham County switched to their system,the whole process took about 1 week to get all agencies up and running. Now,Oakland county is understandably larger so I can see it taking a bit longer,but I am still not convinced from everything that I have read that this system is safe for Public Safety use.

fnnm1062

longtime member
Question for Oakland County listeiners...

What VHF/UHF PD and FD dispatch freqs are still in use? Some departments are patching their OpenSky traffic still to the old freqs (unknown if permenant or temporary). I just figure if we can get a list together we can try and update the database for new listeiners.

Oxford PD and FD, Lake Orion PD are patching between UHF and OpenSky

Others?

freqs

Not sure the ones that are patching but I have a list of active freqs I have heard in the past 2 weeks .
154.4300OC Fire ?
Franklin 154.3850.
Brandon Twp 154.965.
(154.235 Troy patch)
Auburn Hills FD 423.1500.
Commerce Twp 155.8050 .
Ind Twp 423.050.
Lyon Twp 155.745.
( Madison Hts 155.7150 patch they tone out give location then must go to O-S)
.North Oakland fire 155.595
.Rochester Hills 154.415 .
Oakland twp 423.425
Farm hills 423.375
(City Of Rochester 424.300 tone out give location then must go to O-S).
Royal Oak 158.8650.
Southfld Fire 423.625.
W-Bloom 424.1750.
Most all have voice after the toneouts and this list is for Fire only Iam working on Police
Oakland Co Road Com is active still on 156.225 & 156.165

Last edited:

freqs

I worked up a list of active freqs for Oakland Co in just the last 2 hours
423.075 AuburnHills PD
158.775.Bev Hills Public Safety
154.040 Berkley PD
156.225&156.165 O.C.R.C
153.995.Birmingham ? dpw
154.740 Hazel Pk ? it does does have a 100 ctcss
155.9400 ? DPW & CITY BUS
ALL SOUTHFIELD freqs are active
155.8200 Madison Hgts DPW
423.375 Farm Hills Fire
423.175.Auburn Hills DPW
153.410 Royal Oak DPW
159.165 Rochester Hills DPW
151.145 ?
These are active freqs from the last 2 hour"s I will add as I hear them come up

Mark01

Analog activity is stiil active on 423.650 White Lake P.D.
The Oakland County Motorola TRS (sytem 1) is offline with no data channel for the past week or two also.

baily2009

I heard that a company is researching OpenSky and working on a scanner for it. My friend who told me said he didn't remember the name of the company but they are doing their testing in Oakland County.

pjbracing

Premium Subscriber
Add the following Fire Depts that are still broadcasting on conventional:

154.385 Waterford FD
153.800 Groveland FD
154.160 White Lake FD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.