Navy TACAMO Aricraft in South Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
I catch this Navy E-6 transiting around South Texas all the time on ADS-B (AirNav Radar Box). It's probably a TACAMO aircraft on alert.

Photos: Boeing E-6B Mercury (707-300) Aircraft Pictures | Airliners.net

i've also attached a screenshot of this aircraft's painting on the AirNav RadarBox.

He typically comes into range near Houston, heads out into the Gulf, and the rounds his way back west, about 70 miles west of San Antonio. However, at times the orbit pattern will be a dual one which heads back out to the Gulf and shifts west on the second orbit and brings the aircraft right over San Antonio and then NW towards the Texas panhandle.

Each time this happens I've been busy so I can't run outside and catch sight of the aircraft with binoculars.

But, the interesting thing is that during these entire flights this aircraft's altitude is 26,000 FT - which seems to be an odd cruising altitude considering fuel considerations and the abilities of the aircraft.

Can anyone shed further light on this?

Attachments

• E6.gif
    E6.gif
    77.5 KB · Views: 1,270
You may already know but Strategic Communications Wing 1 and Task Force 124 flies that aircraft and they are based at Tinker, Ok. That may well explain them going up the panhandle on their way to home base. Never know what Air Base you will find Navy they even have (or had) Sebees at Barksdale.

Who knows what their mission is over the Gulf it may well be drug interdiction control.

davidp124

Premium Subscriber
Hi Lindsay,
We get the fly-overs by the E6s quite a bit here in south central KY. Normally they fly an east/west or vice-versa over the BWG VORTAC, right over the house. Notice when they are at those altitudes their IAS is around the 240-260 kts IAS, pretty darn slow for a 707 at that altitude. I'd venture a guess that the reason for the lower alt and slower speeds is to allow for the deployment of the VLF trailing antenna. Interesting to watch their tracks on Radarbox as well.

David

Spooky527

Not to hi-jack the thread but how do you like your Radarbox? im thinking of getting one im a bit north of you in the DFW area. why did you chose that one and not a SBS1-er?

jsoergel

I doubt that they are deploying the trailing antenna in this situation, for several reasons:

1) They almost never deploy it over land - it's primarily for submarines, and they typically do it over water.
2) When they do use it over land, there is usually a NOTAM.
3) Utilizing the antenna requires a very tight circular orbit. This orients it vertically to allow optimal transmission.

ScottyUSN

jsoergel answered well.

The Aircraft has other VLF listeners other than the Submarines (but they are the #1 customer).
It's simply too dangerous to deploy the wires overland in a day to day environment.

Altitude considerations keeps the E6 typically above the small privates, and below the commercials cruising above.

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
Ok. Just asking ; I might be wrong - But I thought only the U.S Air Force had TACAMO aircraft. Well dedicated anyway.

Possibly a U.S Navy Electronics Aircraft? Command and Control? Surveillance? TACAMO....?

FF - Medic !!

ff-medic

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
The Appalachians - Next to the tent and campfire.
.... they are based at Tinker, Ok. That may well explain them going up the panhandle on their way to home base.......

Who knows what their mission is over the Gulf it may well be drug interdiction control.

Tinker - my first thought.

Drug interdiction? Money - support.

I thought ; Military wise - Interdiction = It was dedicated to U.S Coast Guard. Customs surveillance and command and control aircraft assisted. Kinda hard for a fast boat to out run a "Dolphin" helicopter ; coupled by a surveillance aircraft flying above. Then there is the "balloons" .

FF- Medic !!!

texasemt13

CenTex DBA
Premium Subscriber
Here's a pretty good blog post about a gentleman who rode along with TACAMO crew out of Tinker.

Here's a pretty good picture of the two reels on the back of the beast.

... and as always Global Security has some pretty good information.

ScottyUSN

All TACAMO aircraft are Navy owned and operated. Meaning the aircrew including the Comm guys are Navy home ported at Tinker AFB. The Airborne Command Post crew are Joint force in support of the Joint Chiefs of Staff (JCS). A mobile survivable Command Center.

TACAMO is not involved in Drug Ops, The Aircraft spends the majority of it's flight time oceanic. All VLF (long wire) training is done over water on a day-to-day due effectiveness of the signal to travel and safety reasons (losing a 5 mile wire and drogue over population would be bad).

freqhopping

I log these guys every day because of the detachment at Pax River NAS. I logged "407" in the 5am timeframe this morning, heading south along the Delmarva. That's actually an odd time for me to 'see' them. Usually there isn't much of any kind of aircraft flying around then.

On the way into Pax I pick them up on 310.15 talking to maintenance. I'll commonly hear requests for deer sweeps of the field and references to reeling in the antenna.

Today I logged five of the E-6Bs on my Radarbox which is unusual. 163918, 163920, 164388, 164407 and 164410. Logged three others in the past week. They really get around.

Hooligan

I log these guys every day because of the detachment at Pax River NAS. I logged "407" in the 5am timeframe this morning, heading south along the Delmarva. .

Here's a close-up of 164405's upper TWA drogue, and the camera they use to view TWA ops. *Sometimes* an E-6B flight is doing nothing more than acting as an airborne taxi service for a senior Navy, US STRATCOM or DOD official.

Attachments

• 405.jpg
    405.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,744
Status
Not open for further replies.