Uniden 996 settings for DoD P25 system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I have a remote Uniden BCD996T (no X) that was receiving the NAS Key West trunked radio system just fine for a couple years.

This morning they are conducting an exercise making extensive use of the trunked system and I found a bunch of new talkgroups. I added them to FreeScan the same way I always have, programmed them into the 996T, after that nothing.

I can hold the scanner on the control channel and see the system ID 14C-205 as well as the talkgroup activity flash across the display, so it's finding the talkgroup names that I've programmed into the various groups.

So what are the magic settings for this DoD P25 system? It worked fine, then 2 minutes later after I reprogrammed it the thing won't receive any more. It had to be something I changed inadvertently, but what?

FreeScan
Trunked System Setup
Type = Mot Type II / P25
Use Motorola end code
Use digital Motorola end code
ID format = decimal
ID mode = ID search

Site Setup
Site type = Mot P25 / P25 Standard
Modulation = Auto

The 4 frequencies are entered, not locked out, all have LCN = 0 since that doesn't matter.

What else?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
DoD P25 system programming

I got it working, though I'm not quite sure how. I think that FreeScan had programmed in a bandplan table for the DoD P25 system. Even when I deleted the table from that system in FreeScan it did not delete it from the radio, I had to go in to delete each entry manually. Somewhere along the line that got it tracking the system again.

Recently on the NQX Key West trunked system I've been hearing Navy southeast regional fire dispatch conducting daily radio checks and even dispatching calls to units numbered in the 500 block. I don't know where those units are, but they are definitely not stationed at Key West, so they might be Mayport or Jax which have heard on the daily tests.

These daily radio checks began this week so either a radio has been switched to that talkgroup or the system has been programmed to light up that talkgroup in Key West.

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Typically, it doesn't matter at all if you enter the band plan for a P25 system. Most P25 systems transmit the band plan on the control channel...the received band plan is going to overwrite whatever you (or the software) programs in. Some systems do not include the band plan in the data. For those systems, you must know and input the correct band plan or the scanner will not know what frequency to jump to when a channel becomes active.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
"Navy southeast region dispatch". is located in Jacksonville, Florida. I hear them as well up in the Panhandle of Florida. They will link up every so often and do a test. Also make sure you keep your scanner in ID Search and Not ID Scan.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
I also use FreeScan and here is what I have.

Trunked System Setup
Type = Mot Type II / P25
Use Motorola end code
Use digital Motorola end code
ID format = decimal
Enable Analog AGC
Enable Digital AGC
ID mode = ID search
Delay time =3

Site Setup
Site type = Mot P25 / P25 Standard
Modulation = Auto

Some talkgroups are encrypted. I noticed that The Home Patrol will not even stop on the encrypted talkgroups when they are transmitting. The Uniden BCD396XT
will make a squeaking noise for a second when it is encrypted and move on scanning. I like the fact that the scanner does squeak so I know something is going on.

Status
Not open for further replies.