DoD 380MHz P25 nationwide military trunked system 14C

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
I've been monitoring the nationwide 380MHz P25 military trunked system 14C site at Key West, Florida for some time.

Recently they have begun using talkgroup 28995 for daily radio checks and actual dispatches of fire calls. This is labeled "Navy southeast region dispatch".

The Key West units are numbered in the 900s.

I'm also hearing station 500 units. Where is station 500? I'm guessing Mayport since that was one of the stations heard during the daily radio checks.

Thanks.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider

lep

Why is the title of the thread "DoD 380 MHz etc" when this is clearly a NAVY system? It does not seem to have any connection with the ARMY system(s) I am monitoring in Georgia. This NAVY system is sys ID 14C but the brand new system here is sys ID 58A.

So, I don't think this is a Department of Defense system IMHOP.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Navy trunked system 014C

Why is the title of the thread "DoD 380 MHz etc" when this is clearly a NAVY system?

An egregious error that the bulletin board software will not allow me to correct. I guess we have only a short time to detect and correct our mistakes. I'll break out my do-it-yourself hari kari kit and make amends.

I really should have identified it by its system id. in the title.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Wiki ambiguity

Actually, it turns out that I was simply following the lead of RadRef here.

There is the "official" database page:
United States Department of Defense (BEE00-14C) Trunking System, Multiple, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

Then there exist not one, not two, but THREE wiki pages all covering the same system:

Navy-Wide National Enterprise Land Mobile Radio System (ELMR) - The RadioReference Wiki

United States Department of Defense (BEE00-14C) - The RadioReference Wiki
Collaboration to identify talkgroups

U.S. Dept. of Defense: Southeastern Region - The RadioReference Wiki
Lists users of the system

These pages all identify it as system 014C, but call it NRSE, Navy Nationwide/Worldwide ELMR, DoD P25 system, etc. Pick your poison.

Like a man with too many watches who never really knows what time it is, there are so many places to hide data that it gets updated one place but the outdated info remains elsewhere. Somebody with the knowledge and authority needs to clean up this mess so that it is understandable to users because I can't figure it out.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Musical talkgroups

Here we go again: this morning I heard a number of "test 1,2,3" radio checks over a couple of hours on talkgroup 28275. Now around the end of the 8 o'clock hour and for the past 15 minutes I've heard numerous fire department units contacting "dispatch" about inspecting Kingfisher alarms (200 units, which I just learned are at Mayport) and unit 922 standing by while ammunition is offloaded (900 units are stationed in Key West).

And now dispatch just performed the daily radio check at 09:15 with the usual suspects, including Meridian, Mayport, Key West fire departments.

Over the past couple weeks I had noticed talkgroup 28995 begin active use by southeast region fire dispatch. Now I'm hearing similar activity, but on 28275. I've noted this behavior of users hopping around to different talkgroups numerous times before on other talkgroups.

All my observations are on the networked P25 trunked system located in Key West so what's new to me might have been used for quite a while elsewhere and the only reason I'm hearing it is that a radio affiliated with it down there or they nailed it up administratively.

Still, I don't understand how talkgroup ids just hop around seemingly at random without the subscriber radios needing to be reprogrammed? Is this dynamic regrouping at work?? Random number generators in the radios???

edit: Here's the list of all the NRSE fire dispatch talkgroups that I have heard on the Key West site:

Who knows? There are likely others that I have simply missed when I'm not monitoring.

Last edited:

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider
Upon further review it is likely that my Uniden 996T is not interpreting the multi-select or supergroup packets from the trunked system correctly so that is why I'm seeing all these "random" talkgroups pop up with NRSE fire dispatch traffic.

If somebody wants to donate a 996XT for my Key West scanner feed that would be very nice! :lol:

lep

I am not the originator of this thread. But since it is only about SYS ID 14C, that should be in the title.

The discussion is about a NAVY system and has seemingly no connection with the ARMY SYS ID 58A which
I am monitoring.

This has little to do with the DoD (Department of Defense) other than the Army and Navy are both part of DoD.

BamaScan

Premium Subscriber
I am not the originator of this thread. But since it is only about SYS ID 14C, that should be in the title.

The discussion is about a NAVY system and has seemingly no connection with the ARMY SYS ID 58A which
I am monitoring.

This has little to do with the DoD (Department of Defense) other than the Army and Navy are both part of DoD.

I don't see anything wrong with the title of the thread. I didn't start it but I am glad someone put 380 in the title. If it said 14C system I would not have even clicked on it.

Radio Reference list it as United States Department of Defense BEEO-14C

See here.

United States Department of Defense (BEE00-14C) Trunking System, Multiple, Multi-State - Scanner Frequencies

So DOD would be ok.

Bote

know-it-all
Feed Provider

Refer to my post #6 above, then take it up with Radio Reference principals if it rises to that level of nitpickiness.

I was not the first one to refer to it as a DoD system (which it is), the RadRef wiki calls it that. It just happens to be more specifically a Navy system as well.

lep

The 380 MHz system I am monitoring is SYS ID 58A and is an Army system. If the incorrect title " DoD 380 Mhz Nationwide" had not been displayed for this regional Navy system, I would never have clicked on it and entered this discussion. I have no interest in this system other than getting the label of the thread corrected.

It is RR.com which has three different titles for the very same Navy Regional [not nationwide] system.

It is only a DoD system in the sense that ALL military systems are part of the Department of Defense.

Status
Not open for further replies.