Caught this EAM tonight on 311.000 & 321.00 MHZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveDouglass

I hear them all the time on HF - but what caught me was that it was so loud and clear and came in booming - I'm guessing here - on UHF - a rarity here in Texas and (possibly) in conjunction with what's about to happen in Syria.

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
Been orbiting all day ... steady carrier on 321.000 Mhz

In 2009 caught them north of Montreal on their way back south at FL290.

usne6bgotofmsmay302009l.jpg

Hooligan

I hear them all the time on HF - but what caught me was that it was so loud and clear and came in booming - I'm guessing here - on UHF - a rarity here in Texas and (possibly) in conjunction with what's about to happen in Syria.

The title of the first post states it was heard on 311.0 &. 321.0, but then you say you're guessing it was UHF? It sounds like whoever actually made the recording tuned-in a multiplexed WBFM UHF channel.

I'll never figure out how EAMs & FDMs can be heard dozens of times each & every day for decades straight, yet someone happens to hear one during a time of increased tension, and they publicly supposition that it could be an instruction to raise the readiness condition or a war order.

SteveDouglass

I was wondering when "Hooligan" was going to pop up again. He's made it a career of peeing on my posts. I'll admit It was a bad wording on my part. I wasn't "guessing it was on UHF" - I was guessing "It's a rarity here in Texas" as opposed to on the East Coast. I apologize for the confusion - and the assumption. However, since EAMS are rarely heard hear in Texas and (as far as I know) speculation is still not a sin (even if the speculation is wrong) I'm going to keep on doing so and I'll consider myself scolded, corrected and graced by Hooligan's wise and all-knowing presence again! I missed you Tim!

PS: Notice how he shed doubt on who made the recording? That's one of Tim's favorite things to do - cast doubt. Side bet to anyone - five dollars - that Tim dredges up everything he's ever corrected me on over the last twenty years.

That said - there seems to be a large exercise here in the Texas/New Mexico area today with many aircraft including B-52s "SKULL, TUFF,DOOM and ICER - along with TURBO, GASSR and SENTRY operating on 284.475 MHz.

Last edited:

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
I was wondering when "Hooligan" was going to pop up again. He's made it a career of peeing on my posts. I'll admit It was a bad wording on my part. I wasn't "guessing it was on UHF" - I was guessing "It's a rarity here in Texas" as opposed to on the East Coast. I apologize for the confusion - and the assumption. However, since EAMS are rarely heard hear in Texas and (as far as I know) speculation is still not a sin (even if the speculation is wrong) I'm going to keep on doing so and I'll consider myself scolded, corrected and graced by Hooligan's wise and all-knowing presence again! I missed you Tim!

PS: Notice how he shed doubt on who made the recording? That's one of Tim's favorite things to do - cast doubt. Side bet to anyone - five dollars - that Tim dredges up everything he's ever corrected me on over the last twenty years.

That said - there seems to be a large exercise here in the Texas/New Mexico area today with many aircraft including B-52s "SKULL, TUFF,DOOM and ICER - along with TURBO, GASSR and SENTRY operating on 284.475 MHz.

You should probably check out 383.550, you'll more than likely hear data there.

SteveDouglass

AWACS in the pattern today - and you were right. What sounds like data on 383.550. Also lots of activity on the GEP Northstar frequencies.

AB9IL

Nice to see some pictures of the E6 Mercury at work. I must have a laugh at the fact that this thread has drawn attention of mercurial people.

CYUL

Premium Subscriber
CYUL..........how did you get that outstanding PIX. That is one for the books.

Eugene KG4AVE

Thanks, I actually got lucky. They just happened to hop across the border then looped back South right over my place. I was tracking them on my SBS. I think I had a 500mm Sigma lens back then. It was very sunny that afternoon and they were hard to pick out but I caught them just as they were passing over. I was pretty happy with the outcome. Have not seen them up here since then. They usually skirt the border between Vermont & Quebec, then turn back.

Rick1959

Premium Subscriber
Nice catch Steve. I have never really understood why some folks feel obligated to slam posters. FYI, I was your's first member of your' Intecepts Newsletter back in the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.