Drones

Status
Not open for further replies.

nyair1

Would it be possible to find the frequency of military drones. Just to know if one is in the area I know they fly not to far from me so just curious.
Where are you from??

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

prcguy

Little drones or Predator UAV size? Big ones have been known to use the 5GHz band for line of sight control and Ku satellite band for beyond line of sight control and uplink of video.
prcguy

Would it be possible to find the frequency of military drones. Just to know if one is in the area I know they fly not to far from me so just curious.

Mark

Premium Subscriber
A couple of the Navy MQ-4C Triton UAV's out of Pax River NAS show up from time to time
on mode adsb radar tracking boxes.
The only aircraft I see at altitudes of 52K at times. :)

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It is a fascinating idea but I suspect they're designed for surreptitious flights and to minimize any interference. That means you're probably out of luck unless you're willing to spend a bundle of cash.

D

DaveNF2G

The larger ones have voice radios to communicate with local ATC. I presume the voices are those of the remote controllers at Syracuse here in the northeast US.

Oakland_Tower

Premium Subscriber
ZOA Tac

Here in California you can hear the U2 and RQ-4 Global Hawk on the Oakland Center Tac freq 296.7. From my monitoring in central CA, the U2 flies several times a day (M-F) out of Beale AFB, but the drone is heard less often.

spacellamaman

Around here (central NC) I finally compared enough notes and real time flightradar24 stuff while listening in on the scanner to conclude that i am occasionally hearing some sort of drone tasking going on. but its so weird I'm hesitant to say much more due to the onslaught of "corrections" that will come my way. the safest thing i'll say is -if- there is anything that -might- be receivable in the under 1300mhz range, I would run thru the UHF MilSat ranges in FM and look for hits that aren't standard SatCom channels, but mighty close.

oh and the other thing is...it ain't interesting. except for the occasional "17SPU xxxx xxxx " i haven't got the foggiest clue, nor am I going to try to learn, what they are talking about. all i know is everything is Prime and Charlie Hoovers doing fine. I have locked it out.

methusaleh

I don't know what there is to intercept, but a test I was privy to used the callsign WE2XXX in 2009. I would guess that can still be searched on the FCC General Menu site. I don't think there were any signals except control commands and a video downlink.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Drone traffic

You can hear them on UHF 220-400 around Creech AFB, NV. Mostly what I hear is training and Search/Rescue stuff.

lucky43113

I don't know what there is to intercept, but a test I was privy to used the callsign WE2XXX in 2009. I would guess that can still be searched on the FCC General Menu site. I don't think there were any signals except control commands and a video downlink.

i have no clue either just thought it might be nice to know if one was around

nyair1

I am in ohio not far from wright pat and yes I was talking about predator UAV sizethanks
MQ9 from syracuse operate in the Adirondacks area. You can pick them up on UHF center freqs and they have some channels for ops.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

spacellamaman

well for the first time, character was broken for some real-world/admin issues on the most commonly heard freq and topic matter was good timing for this thread:

"yeah we're getting set up, we're having trouble with anything over 400 megahertz up here"

never heard anything since, and it kinda sounded like he was in a room, slight ambient background noise, which is a first too.
earlier in the day i heard:

"lay down on the ground and make a snow angel for confirmation"

which is perplexing in more ways than there is time to count. all i can figure is it aint a Real world snow angel,
since i haven't been flamed yet I'll disclose that 95% of the time I catch anything it is:

245.275 FM.

NFM clips things badly just FYI to those who are never certain, like me, which to put it in. I have never found reference to this freq in any public list of Sat Channels.

Last edited:

prcguy

I was working at March Air Reserve Base in Riverside, CA yesterday and a large Drone landed there causing quite a stir. Some guys I was working with were driving in as it was landing and he said people were pulling over in their cars and trying to take pictures of it.

Had I known they flew there I would have brought lots of monitoring equipment.
prcguy

freqhopping

245.275 FM.

NFM clips things badly just FYI to those who are never certain, like me, which to put it in. I have never found reference to this freq in any public list of Sat Channels.

Army ISR asset testing has previously been monitored on 277.35, 267.35 FM and some other FM freqs. Eventually they started using encryption.

Based on the MGRS you mentioned:
Camp Mackall hangar receives top industry awards > Savannah District > News Stories

Fort Bragg promises watchful eye over new unmanned aerial vehicle ahead of first flight - News - The Fayetteville Observer - Fayetteville, NC

RFI-EMI-GUY

well for the first time, character was broken for some real-world/admin issues on the most commonly heard freq and topic matter was good timing for this thread:

"yeah we're getting set up, we're having trouble with anything over 400 megahertz up here"

never heard anything since, and it kinda sounded like he was in a room, slight ambient background noise, which is a first too.
earlier in the day i heard:

"lay down on the ground and make a snow angel for confirmation"

which is perplexing in more ways than there is time to count. all i can figure is it aint a Real world snow angel,
since i haven't been flamed yet I'll disclose that 95% of the time I catch anything it is:

245.275 FM.

If that 245.275 is inside the satellite downlink passband, it could be a milair frequency some ~61 MHz higher passing the uplink which would be AM and distorted on an FM receiver.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Drone at March

I was working at March Air Reserve Base in Riverside, CA yesterday and a large Drone landed there causing quite a stir. Some guys I was working with were driving in as it was landing and he said people were pulling over in their cars and trying to take pictures of it.

Had I known they flew there I would have brought lots of monitoring equipment.
prcguy

Can you describe the drone RQ- ? MQ- ?

Status
Not open for further replies.