Has anybody been experiencing Red Flag?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanmanmi

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...-s-for-largest-ever-red-flag-air-war-exercise

The year's first iteration of the USAF's premier set of aerial war games, known commonly as Red Flag, is kicking off today at Nellis Air Force Base just outside of Las Vegas, but this exercise will be different than any in the past. Not only is it the largest of its kind in the exercise's 42 year history, but the USAF is going to blackout GPS over the sprawling Nevada Test and Training Range to challenge aircrews and their weaponry under realistic fighting conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrivatelyJeff

Has more money than sense
Premium Subscriber
Why not just make the air crews not use the system? This sounds like a ****ty place to try this stuff out.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
RF 18-1

Yes been experiencing Red Flag 18-1. Went up to the base today.

Attachments

• _MG_2109-2-2.jpg
    _MG_2109-2-2.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 474
  • _MG_2189-2.jpg
    _MG_2189-2.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 475
  • _MG_2415-2.jpg
    _MG_2415-2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 485
  • _MG_2544-2.jpg
    _MG_2544-2.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 475

EMTJD

Those are DAMNED good shots! Are they yours? You took them yourself? Impressive.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
RF 18-1

Thank you! Yes I took them from a spot near the LVMS along Las Vegas Blvd. Just north of the base.

EMTJD

Thank you! Yes I took them from a spot near the LVMS along Las Vegas Blvd. Just north of the base.

When we used to go go (to LV, not to Red Flag), we'd park at the end of the runway, I believe that was on Charleston? And watch everything fly in and out from there. Was awesome.

dkaniel

They do this occasionally down at White Sands Missile Range, and we've heard commercial aircraft call in to
Albuquerque Center, saying their GPS is not working...

That is one reason why the F.A.A. is still keeping VOR's around in case something happens to GPS. But do any pilots today still know how to use VOR if required?

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Vor

No worries most in use fmc computers and routes are still there, the only outdated nav system that was deleted on some airlines in the last 15 years was adf. GPS is still new and developing. For example the gls system on the new 737 max. It takes operators and airports to come to a process to implement the new tech. Very slow btw.

Rt4957

I went to Red Flag 18-1 for the First week,and got not only pictures,but a good bunch of scanner and airfield audio from the Speedway as well.I usually have 2 Pro-2006s going with tower/approach and occasional Tactical chatter stuff,along with the audio of the planes taking off and then on the RTB later and is recorded with my Tascam Dr-44 recorder.It`s fun to come home and relive the experience from the Armchair at home.I did all the Afternoon missions,and a few of the Night missions as well.Absolutely love Red Flags.

Phil

Status
Not open for further replies.