"Ground freq 15.205" modulation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

spacellamaman

This seems too easy so I would like anyone's non-speculation input (i got the speculating bit covered, thx).

observing a relatively large scale air/ground, air-defense exercise last night. mult AH64s in the fray plus one up high orbiting and tallying scores vs dudes in the woods with HMGs and MANPADs (simulators, them H64's is costly to blowed outta da sky i hears) etc. what i managed to capture is as follows to give context in advance:

FM 45mHz ="OpFor freq" Ground, air/ground

AM 141Mhz= "Victor" only heard air to air

AM 273mHz= "Air Battle" only heard air to air

at one point air to air, on "Victor", one asks another for the "ground freq" which the reply comes (after jumbling the numbers a few times and making me thank my lucky stars i was recording)

"one five decimal two zero five" ie:15.205

so i realize this is normally an AM freq but this was apparently for ground troops, mobile, tactical environment etc. I have Uniden BR330Ts to try an cover as many bases as possible, so i can tune this freq. i haven't encountered this situation before (ie something under 30mHz)

the question is, standard FM?

nd5y

If it was really 15 MHz then it would be SSB not FM.
Since 15.205 is in the 19 meter SW broadcast band you probably misunderstood something.

spacellamaman

If it was really 15 MHz then it would be SSB not FM.

"so i realize this is normally an AM freq "

Since 15.205 is in the 19 meter SW broadcast band you probably misunderstood something.

"making me thank my lucky stars i was recording"

clear as a bell, i was using signal stalker at the time to give an idea of proximity/clarity.

wtp

odd thought

could they have dropped the 1 like in standard aviation ?
and that would make it 115.205.
yes i know it is in the navigation part, but who knows ?

brandon

Database Admin
These type of things pop up on HF quite a bit.
As other said, most likely will be USB voice.

But I have caught FM voice on HF (3, 6 and 7 megs) before from US military training on a few occasions.

Status
Not open for further replies.