Naval Bases Kitsap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mainsail

I used to know all this stuff....

When I moved out to Kitsap in 2010 I never reprogrammed my 396T scanner, I just put the local sheriffs dept in the quick-save memories and let it go at that. Going through some stuff I found the activation code for the ARC software and after downloading it, the code still works!

So I decided to go ahead and properly program the scanner. Everything is going well except when I try to program the nearby navy base (where I work). I'm using the information here: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3856#tgCid-9510

Here's the problem I running up against. For a single talkgroup ID, say Gate Security (ID 23808) there are perfectly clear voice transmissions some of the time, then other times it sounds encrypted. The time between clear and garbled is sometimes only a few seconds. This happens on several different talkgroup IDs. I highly doubt they're constantly switching between encrypted transmissions and unencrypted.

I'm LOS about ten miles from the base, so could it be I don't have enough antenna?
Programmed something incorrectly? (I don't notice any special place in the ARC software to input a control freq, just list all the freqs)

I have the option of driving out to the base and sitting outside the cop shack with the scanner in Close Call until they transmit, to make sure I have all the freqs programmed.

Like I said, I used to know all this stuff but I'm a little rusty!

nd5y

It's not uncommon on some systems to have user selectable encryption and some users to be encrypted and some clear on the same talkgroup.
If this is what is happening the 396T should display ENC when the audio is garbled. If not then it is probably a decode problem due to interference or something.

Mainsail

It's not uncommon on some systems to have user selectable encryption and some users to be encrypted and some clear on the same talkgroup.
If this is what is happening the 396T should display ENC when the audio is garbled. If not then it is probably a decode problem due to interference or something.
Thanks, that makes sense. I figured if they wanted encrypted they'd just user a different channel. I mean, they're almost unlimited with so few users.

My 396 will display ENC, DAT, or LNK during the transmission (IOW it doesn't stay on LNK or ENC or DAT).

I want to make sure it's an encryption issuer, and not a you-just-need-a-newer-scanner issue.

Mainsail

It could very well be that I have this all programmed completely wrong. I found an old post from 2007 when I was trying to get McChord AFB and we figured it out.

I'm not sure under which type of system I should put the data in the ARC software / scanner.

The info is attached below, can someone walk me through this until it triggers my memory?

Attachments

• DB01.jpg
    DB01.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 366
  • DB02.jpg
    DB02.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 362
  • DB03.jpg
    DB03.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 365
Status
Not open for further replies.