Base & Handheld Radios for MilAir

Status
Not open for further replies.

FoeHammer

Premium Subscriber
So what does everyone use ? I know you can spend a ton on top end radios ,..but what all works ? I know we need the frequency coverage of 225-400 Mhz with selectable modes,.. & even vhf airband right up to150Mhz also with selectable modes , & for handheld , long run times & easy to find batteries like AA's are nice ,..I use a BC895T base & yaesu vx6r handheld , I was thinking of upgrading to the BC15x base & maybe the BC125AT as a spare beater handheld ...as both are easy on the wallet & seem to do most of whats needed ..

N9JCQ

Premium Subscriber
Although I do not have either, I know that both BC125 and the BC15 are highly thought of scanners for civil and MilAir. I am a bit old school as I have a RS Pro-43, A Yupiteru 7100 and several Uniden BC-780scanners. Also don't overlook the BC396T too. I have had good luck with that as well. A big factor in listening is the antenna(s). that is a very important aspect of the calculation.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
+1 on the 780XLT. I had one for dedicated CIV/MIL air monitoring using Proscan and it was phenomenal.

lou9155

i tried a pro2006 for milair but got lost without alpha tags.....bought a gorgous bct15 off ebay and i LOVE it...very sensitive... scans fast ..got alpha tags...recieves better than my pro652....i think ill add another

KR7CQ

Premium Subscriber
+1 on the 780XLT. I had one for dedicated CIV/MIL air monitoring using Proscan and it was phenomenal.

Agreed. I've done side by side comparisons on my multicoupler / Diamond discone and even my beloved PRO-2006 can't quite match the 780 for AM air. I have also compared the BCT15X, the BCD996XT, and the BCD536HP to the 780 and none of them could match it either. It's no wonder that some milair listeners have stacks of 780s setup with the milair band divided among them. Some say that the 785 is a touch better but I have not done comparison testing with that scanner.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Agreed. I've done side by side comparisons on my multicoupler / Diamond discone and even my beloved PRO-2006 can't quite match the 780 for AM air. I have also compared the BCT15X, the BCD996XT, and the BCD536HP to the 780 and none of them could match it either. It's no wonder that some milair listeners have stacks of 780s setup with the milair band divided among them. Some say that the 785 is a touch better but I have not done comparison testing with that scanner.

I had a 796D too and while it was also excellent for CIV/MIL air, the 780 edged it out.

prcguy

Yes on the PRO-43 and yes yes on the Yupiteru MVT-7100!

Although I do not have either, I know that both BC125 and the BC15 are highly thought of scanners for civil and MilAir. I am a bit old school as I have a RS Pro-43, A Yupiteru 7100 and several Uniden BC-780scanners. Also don't overlook the BC396T too. I have had good luck with that as well. A big factor in listening is the antenna(s). that is a very important aspect of the calculation.

nyair1

Have a 15X, two 996xts and a 780xlt. Used to have a pro43 and pro 97 handheld that were great too. Cant do without the alpha tags nowdays. Have so many freqs in them. I try to program everyone the same so each group or bank has the same stuff in it. I run one radio just on uhf center freqs to catch stuff coming to and from my area.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

kc2kth

A timely thread for me. I've been looking around considering adding another radio and milair/civair seems to be a good enough reason to justify one. ��

Anyone have opinions on the R30 vs 8200 mkIII or dv10? Price aside, how do these compare to the Yupi, Alinco, Uniden, etc. options? I've always wanted to play with an AOR but never pulled the trigger. Same on the R20 before it was replaced with the R30. Also never had the chance to get a Yupi.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
A timely thread for me. I've been looking around considering adding another radio and milair/civair seems to be a good enough reason to justify one. ��

Anyone have opinions on the R30 vs 8200 mkIII or dv10? Price aside, how do these compare to the Yupi, Alinco, Uniden, etc. options? I've always wanted to play with an AOR but never pulled the trigger. Same on the R20 before it was replaced with the R30. Also never had the chance to get a Yupi.

I have a R30 and really like it, using it for rail, civair/milair. It's phenomenal with dual tuners and auto memory write during searches aka VFO scans and recording features. With the new iOS remote control app and a bluetooth earphone it's very discreet.

kc2kth

Using the iOS app is interesting. I have far more h/h radios because I'm never sitting in my office where I could have access to an external antenna. Really if the apps are good enough - ie duplicate the display and controls of an average rig - I could go with a desktop rig and connect it to a better antenna system. Have the apps these days gotten to where they can provide true remote control?

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
I am just now juggling some radios and re-dedicating two of them to be exclusive for milair - my Realistic Pro-2006, and my Radio Shack Pro-2035. The 2006 I have used for aviation before with great results.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
FoeHammer - I use an assortment of radios , from Radio Shack scanner with MILAIR to ICOM and AOR hand and base Communications Receivers and I also have a Kenwood RZ-1 and Yeasu and Alinco receivers as well. for the most part the Communications Receivers like ICOM and AOR are superior Receivers for MILAIR or just about ANYTHING except for Trunktracking. the ICOM and AOR receivers have built in AM filters and Noise filters that All Scanners Lack. also the Channel Select knob on Communications Receivers make it easier to stop on a active Frequency and go back N forth in the Channel Bank unlike most Scanners.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
FoeHammer - I recommend the AOR MINI or the ICOM R6 communications receivers , they are very sensitive and don't overload to easily unlike scanners. While not a Replacement for ICOM R30 or the AOR DV-10, the entry level Receivers are great for MILAIR , VHF air, VHF marine and general monitoring ANALOG transmissions such as MEDIA and even HF Utility Monitoring, with the Right Antenna. ICOM R6 and AOR MINI are great Emergency Radios as well , very compact size , very BIG on reception , both radios have AM Ferrite Bar antenna for AM Broadcast and both Radios receive AM-FM broadcast very well as well as NOAA weather , and NEWS/MEDIA crews, and NEWS Hilos.

kc2kth

Good info hardsuit. So you like the R30? I'm a bit concerned with the state of the DV10 at the moment, although I'm sure AOR will straighten it out. Any thoughts on the 8200? Its a bit long in the tooth, even the Mk3, but if one doesn't need digital modes and doesn't want to wait on AOR to resolve the DV10 Issues it seems like it would fit the bill.

One issue with your filter comments, scanners do include filters. The 436 I'm using is known to have some quite good filters actually. I don't know specifics regarding skirt width, but even the newer 325 and 996 models don't beat the 436. Of course I'd hope the R30, DV10 or even 8200 would. CRs are definitely a different class of rig with different use cases.

eorange

♦Insane Asylum Premium Member♦
The R6 doesn't have SSB capabilities, so it's not suitable for HF utility listening. Same goes for the AOR mini.

However, the R6 is a very good mil air scanner.

frankdrebbin

I use an AR-8200 III for air only since everything public service here is digital trunked now. I also have the AR-8600 which I use to search MilAir . They are nice radios but time consuming to program. I also use my Icom R-75 for MWARA HF traffic. It also helps I am close to an Air Force base.

Haley

The R6 doesn't have SSB capabilities, so it's not suitable for HF utility listening. Same goes for the AOR mini.

However, the R6 is a very good mil air scanner.

Agree 100% with this. I use a Kenwood THF6A (it's an amateur HT) often as far as I know it's one of the only SSB HF handheld's. It has a wide receive from .100-1300mhz, in several modes AM, FM, NFM,WFM, CW, LSB, and USB. Does pretty well with a telescoping antenna ( use an adapter). Anyway might be out the range you would want to spend?

As far as the 125, it is a great mil-air analog scanner, what it does do it does it very well (I have used it for 5 years or so)

I also still use an Icom R2 great little radio, does VERY well on the bands for mil-air.

I can't say enough about the Uniden BR330T, Scanner master still has some new one's for about $200 I think. Awesome radio, all analog, but it receive i very wide. again .1-1300mhz. straight through (no breaks at all). No SSB.

Eugene

Haley: Have the 330T as well and it was the best air receiver handheld ever. The only problem is it suffers from some sort of totally random loud, high pitched staccato what I can only describe as what sounds like a static discharge which blocks everything, lasts for 30 seconds to > 5 minutes (at which point I can stand it no longer). It affects all frequencies and again is totally random. No RF around to be causing it. The 125 is close but the 330T was better. Disappointing.

Eugene. KG4AVE

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Haley: Have the 330T as well and it was the best air receiver handheld ever. The only problem is it suffers from some sort of totally random loud, high pitched staccato what I can only describe as what sounds like a static discharge which blocks everything, lasts for 30 seconds to > 5 minutes (at which point I can stand it no longer). It affects all frequencies and again is totally random. No RF around to be causing it. The 125 is close but the 330T was better. Disappointing.

Eugene. KG4AVE

Eugene,
That sounds like your 330T is breaking into some type of oscillation. I have been using my 330T almost daily for 9 years and I have never heard what you describe.
When it starts does it continue to do it with a fresh change of batteries?
Does it continue if you remove the antenna?
Does it do it with earphones plugged in (for safety not in your ears)?

Status
Not open for further replies.