RadioReference on Facebook   RadioReference on Twitter   RadioReference Blog

Go Back   The RadioReference.com Forums > Service Specific Monitoring > Military Monitoring Forum

Military Monitoring Forum - Discussions regarding monitoring military communications on the ground, in air and at sea. Please keep USCG discussion to this forum also.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-15-2018, 8:43 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

Default Strategies for programming

Ok so I would like to program a bct15x & 125at for both civil & milair ,..I currently have an older BC898 I use & the way it was programmed was to just read the forums (Michigan military activity) and put in the frequencies from everyone's logs ,..kind of a cobbled together approach all over the place & without alpa tags ,..so I want to upgrade & fix , & am wondering how everyone else approaches it , the handheld I intend to take on trips, & airshows & the base will be mostly for milair , Now I live in a border city, in Canada across from Detroit so Im thinking my plan should be to draw a circle on the map a few hundred kilometers around me & look at what frequencies everything would use within that ,..so lets say a gulfstream is traveling from Detroit to Toronto ,..I should have all the frequencies in so that I can follow it as far as radio conditions allow ,..then I should have all the common air to air ,..search & rescue guard frequencies etc , then all the refueling freqs & enroute freqs , any nearby airbases (selfridge) any nearby ,or even not so nearby MOA's (steelhead ,pike) & any airshow freqs like showboss , demonstration teams etc ...The idea being I can select either military or civilian at any time , as well as being able to narrow listening to either just my local airport traffic , or widen it by selecting all frequencies that would be in use in the entire region , Im going to try not to mix civil & milair because i dont want to miss the short milair transmissions when selected , Am I missing anything ? or is there a better way to do it & any other frequencies I should look for ?
Sponsored links
Old 09-15-2018, 9:46 PM
  Premium Subscriber
Premium Subscriber

my bc15 is my milair scanner..what i did was to program each system to its own scanlist i started from my home and added systems 1 is ACY nj air guard 2 is joint base andrews lots of air combat patrols 3 is all civilian air 4 is joint base mcguire 5 is common usaf freq 7 is maryland air gaurd..i even get hits from air force one on the andrews scanlist
Old 09-15-2018, 10:12 PM

I have all my radios setup the same. Have groups for Norad/Huntress, Uhf centers, AR, A/A and so on. I have special groups for say air show freqs and things you dont normally scan all the time. I like to keep everything programmed the same so if im listening to something i know no matter which radio i use everything will be in it.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk