Uniden Squelch Settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBWayzata

Premium Subscriber
Just curious what you guys use for your squelch levels on your Uniden scanners. I have been fighting with mine because it keeps dropping the signal and I am missing out on important updates. Up until this point I have tried setting this squelch on every level from 1-15 and at no point was I satisfied with the quality. Until I turned it to Zero and now I am not getting any drops and it seems to be working like a champ.

From what I understand squelch is a built in part of the system, so why would I be receiving the signal better without it. Also how do you set the squelch on the ARMER system as I have read the Do-it-yourself deals and couldn't figure it out for the life of me.

Thank you for your time,
James

Blackink

Just curious what you guys use for your squelch levels on your Uniden scanners. I have been fighting with mine because it keeps dropping the signal and I am missing out on important updates. Up until this point I have tried setting this squelch on every level from 1-15 and at no point was I satisfied with the quality. Until I turned it to Zero and now I am not getting any drops and it seems to be working like a champ.

Thank you for your time,
James

Well I did have my squelch on my BCT15X turned up all the way to 19. But UPMan tells me bad things can happen when the squelch is turned up like I had mine.

Here's his quote: Having squelch turned up all the way typically results in "bad things." (Like lots of audio dropouts, completely missed comms, poor control channel handoffs, etc.) Squelch should be set "at threshold."

So now I have it turned down to 10. I'll try that for today and maybe try going lower tomorrow.

mdulrich

Feed Provider
The proper way to set squelch is to tune to a conventional frequency without PL, DCS, or NAC or communications. Turn the squelch until you begin to hear the constant hiss from the radio and then back it back the other way just until the hiss stops. Then leave it there. You can't do this while monitoring a trunked system

Mike

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
Set it for 2 - most sensitive without it locking up on an analog frequency. When adjusting it on a digital system the squelch has no effect as far as locking up the scanner with the hiss.
Although if " all " the analog frequencies you programmed have the PL, DPL tones, you can go all the way to zero.

Last edited:

Blackink

Set it for 2 - most sensitive without it locking up on an analog frequency. When adjusting it on a digital system the squelch has no effect as far as locking up the scanner with the hiss.
Although if " all " the analog frequencies you programmed have the PL, DPL tones, you can go all the way to zero.

I learned something from your post. Makes sense that someone could turn their squelch down to zero if all the correct tones are programmed in.

Thanks again for your insight.....

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
According to UPMan's post about the squelch and simulcast systems, he states that having the squelch at zero will slow scanning of conventional channels, as the scanner stops on each channel to check PL, even if there is no carrier.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
By far unless the signal is on the cusp of either barely breaking squelch or just barely not breaking squelch is where squelch settings really come into play. At that point setting squelch real low would allow the audio through on those marginally weak signals.

pkbirchbay

Premium Subscriber
MY two cents On my 996XT I have it at 2 and works fine.Had it at zero and had some slight problems now it is great. Just my 2 cents

Status
Not open for further replies.