Simulcast Distortion Buster

Status
Not open for further replies.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
I'm getting 95% readability with the paint cantenna. My yagi produced about 60%. I'm finding that aiming at Hennepin East Simulcast is producing the best results. I'm a little bummed at what I'll miss using this super-directional antenna, but it's nice to hear transmissions that don't cut in and out.

Attachments

• IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 1,184

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
Inside the can is a 3.25" metal element soldered to the center of an SO-239 socket that sticks up through a hole.

Wasp nest :)

I think you may have a point! :) I wonder if there's a plastic cover that fits over paint cans.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
A picture...

Attachments

• Can.jpg
    Can.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 1,091
Last edited:

muchomorek

Premium Subscriber
I was using cantenna for my WIFI 10 years ago. it was working fine.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
I was using cantenna for my WIFI 10 years ago. it was working fine.

Some people use Pringles cans as WiFi cantennas. Much of my experience is with C- and Ku-band satcom (for TV) so waveguide is nothing new. Does anyone know if this is considered waveguide?

Voyager

I think you may have a point! :) I wonder if there's a plastic cover that fits over paint cans.

Use a coffee can. It comes with a plastic lid that you can use to seal the unit not only from wasps but from rain which will cause rust and corrosion.

For more isolation, stack two or more cans.

jcardani

Premium Subscriber
What a great idea for simulcast LSM reception!

BTW I like your user name! I put my first TVRO dish up in 1984 and watched many shows from CBC on the Anik birds! The great pre 1986/Captain Midnight days when mostly everything was free on satellite.

kh11

Premium Subscriber

Sure, any paint store or home improvement place has them. Most have a pour spout with a cap, but that won't cause any issues.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
What a great idea for simulcast LSM reception!

BTW I like your user name! I put my first TVRO dish up in 1984 and watched many shows from CBC on the Anik birds! The great pre 1986/Captain Midnight days when mostly everything was free on satellite.

Yeah, digital has really changed the landscape. I got my Ku fix in about ten years ago on Galaxy 10R- it was all I could see through the sliver in the trees back in FL.

As for the plastic cap, I'll check my hardware store. Thanks for the suggestions!

stmills

John's map looks like a good reference to the towers. If you aim toward the City Center site you should be able to get Metro Main 1-001 MPLS 1-009 and Hennepin East 2-001 - towers for all of these systems are on the same site.

cpetraglia

A picture...
Do you have a optimal distance from element to the rear of the can? What type of coax are you using? Also what distance are you from the tower? I would be about 5 miles, tower at 150 feet. I've tried more antenna contraptions and finally settled on a vertically polarized HDTV UHF antenna. Beats all the yagi's I have tried and there have been some expensive ones.

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
Well, I am way off from being aimed anywhere near Hennepin East's towers like I thought I was. From my location, which is right at the southern border of the Minneapolis Golf Club, my antenna is aimed directly 45 degrees (exactly NE).

How can I figure out what tower I'm currently aimed at?

I did try to aim at Mpls City Center, but my readability rate went way down. Perhaps, like Voyager suggested, I should throw another can on to get even more directionality to my current setup. Maybe then I'd be able to pick up City Center with ease.

I appreciate the advice, all!

AnikF1R

Premium Subscriber
Do you have a optimal distance from element to the rear of the can? What type of coax are you using? Also what distance are you from the tower? I would be about 5 miles, tower at 150 feet. I've tried more antenna contraptions and finally settled on a vertically polarized HDTV UHF antenna. Beats all the yagi's I have tried and there have been some expensive ones.

The distance from element to the rear of the can is the same length as the element, about 3.25". I'm running 100' of LMR-400 to a PAR FM trap then to my 436. The trap had more to do with my air band setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.