Richfield Radio Shack

Status
Not open for further replies.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I stopped by the Richfield Radio Shack this afternoon. There were signs posted 20 % to 30 % off everything. At first, I suspected that it was closing. The staff there told me that they are now an outlet store. There are also signs stating No Returns. All Sales Final.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Radio Shack

Could this be it for the remaining Radio Shacks? Has anybody here been in one in Minnesota this week? (I still getting used to the change from Uniforms Unlimited to Gall's locally!)

RadioShack May Be Down For The Count | Twice

This could be the last call for RadioShack.
General Wireless Operations, the company that runs the approximately 1,500 remaining RadioShack stores, is reportedly about to file for bankruptcy protection.
Unnamed sources cited by Bloomberg said the bankruptcy will likely lead to liquidation rather than another stab at reorganizing.
If so, the end game comes two years after hedge fund Standard General paid $187 million in a series of bankruptcy auctions for the RadioShack brand and the 1,740 stores left standing after the public version went bust.
As part of the prepackaged Chapter 11 plan, Standard General's operating entity for RadioShack, General Wireless, leased space in 1,440 of the locations to Sprint in a co-branding agreement.
But according to vendors, suppliers, former franchisees and rep groups in contact with TWICE, Sprint backed out of the deal in late January citing a breach of covenants, effectively cutting off the retailer’s cash flow.
As a result, these sources said, General Wireless terminated its buying, inventory management, marketing operations and franchise management teams in a Feb. 3 bloodbath; shut its Illinois fulfillment center; and stopped paying its vendors.
General Wireless’s senior management has not responded to multiple requests for comment, nor has Sprint answered queries regarding its in-store Sprint at RadioShack shops. But a check of RadioShack’s website confirms that the cupboard is bare.
Moreover, Wave7 Research, which tracks the U.S. wireless market, told TWICE that Sprint’s sales reps have left most of the remaining 1,200 co-branded locations after the carrier ended its contract with a third-party vendor last year, and that RadioShack stores are being closed in major California markets.
“Our sources and checks point to very slow Sprint sales at this channel, despite solid overall Sprint sales,” noted principal Jeff Moore.
That’s cold comfort to vendors left holding the bag. “We put [General Wireless] into collections for a high five figure,” reported Sal Irigoyen, CEO of Odyssey, a small, family-operated toy company that sold its drone line through the chain. “I guess that’s how they are ‘improving their cash flow,’ by not paying their vendors,” he said, in a reference to a TWICE Q&A with General Wireless president/CEO Dene Rogers.
“We had a decent fourth quarter,” Rogers said at a TWICE Executive Retail Roundtable, held at CES in January, prior to Sprint’s purported pullout. “The focus was very much on gross profit rate, not absolute sales dollars.”
Rogers noted that drones were a big holiday hit for the chain, which contributed to “a pretty decent lift in gross profit dollars versus last year, which was the first holiday season out of bankruptcy.”
The comments only added to Sy Kessler’s despair. “My company” — Sy Kessler Sales, representing Renata Batteries — “is a 25-year vendor to RadioShack,” he told TWICE. “We have sold [them] many millions of Renata Swiss-quality batteries. We have numerous open orders working and inventory for RadioShack [with] easily $500,000 on the line, and I have been unable to get anybody to call me back.”
“We are very concerned,” he said.

Last edited:

stmills

Just went by the RS store on hw55 in Golden Valley- Store Closing signs in the windows. Based on store stock from the store closings a few years ago Stock inside looks like sale started recently .

JASII

Memory Capacity
I stopped by the West Saint Paul Radio Shack this afternoon. They had sings up 20-30% off. As was the case in the past, no real bargains to be had yet.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I stopped by the Radio Shack at 3009 Nicollet Ave, Minneapolis, this afternoon. Much like the West Saint Paul Radio Shack, this one also had signs up and were at 20% to 30% many items.

JASII

Memory Capacity
I stopped by the Radio Shack at 2868 26th Ave S, Minneapolis this afternoon. Much like the other local stores, they had sings posted. The clerk at this one said they are going down to two stores locally, Golden Valley and West Saint Paul. What is unclear, of course, is for how long. Does that mean they will all be open until the end of March and then the other two are around until the end of April?

stmills

I read the list of Stores from Radio Shack in reedo's link. It did not list the Golden Valley store as closing but the Store also has signs that it is closing- I suspect that may mean all are on the way out.

stmills

Looks like fewer stores on your link- the one I saw on one of these links was a 22 page scanned document that was ordered by store # so it was not the easiest to follow and had what appeared to be 3 rounds of closings- I did not find the Golden Valley or Crystal stores on the list I saw but both have the store closing signs up.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Radio Shack

https://www.radioshack.com/apps/store-locator

The Radio Shack store locator page still shows the six Twin Cities area stores. Golden Valley and West Saint Paul are listed the same as ever. Crystal, Richfield, and both Minneapolis stores have the following listed:

Inventory Clearance Sale on Now

This store is closing.

That does concur with what a clerk told me recently. It will be interesting to see if the in store inventory drops in price significantly or if they just pack up everything and move it to Golden Valley or West Saint Paul.

SCPD

QRT
What's left?. After filing a second bankruptcy, they probably are selling the store carpet at 20% off too.

JASII

Memory Capacity
https://consumerist.com/2017/03/16/here-are-the-365-stores-radioshack-wants-to-close-next/

Yet, another list of which Radio Shack stores are closing. I have extracted these Minnesota stores from this article and they are:

109 WILLOW BEND
CRYSTAL MN 55428

2868 S 26TH AVE
MINNEAPOLIS MN 55406

3009 NICOLLET AVENUE
MINNEAPOLIS MN 55408

Unlike the earlier reports for the Twin Cities, which only listed Golden Valley and West Saint Paul, this would add Richfield to the list of survivors.

stmills

From Radio Shacks own website:
GOLDEN VALLEY-OLSON HWY

CRYSTAL-WILLOW BEND
Inventory Clearance Sale on Now.
This RadioShack store is closing.
The Sprint Store at this location will remain open.

MINNEAPOLIS-HIGHLAND PLZ
HIGHLAND PLAZA

MINN-MINNEHAHA MALL
MINNEHAHA MALL

RICHFIELD
RICHFIELD SHOPPES
Inventory Clearance Sale on Now
This store is closing.

ST PAUL-ROBERT ST S

SCPD

QRT
It's too bad they closed the one in Roseville across from Rosedale. It was a pretty large store and seemed to have parts in stock. That's were I got my 996XLT for under $70, should have picked up the BCD396 too which was probably on clearance so it closing was a double edge sword. I would rather it stayed open for parts that were needed for projects, I now go to AEI in Golden Valley or order online for them. They are pretty much done here now and I hope the employees who lost their jobs can find work

stmills

Just drove by the Golden Valley Store-after hours- store closing Everything must go signs. Now listing prices 20-50% off. Stock looks really good- I suspect new stock is still being received at this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.