SDS-100

Status
Not open for further replies.

fmulder13

Just ordered mine from ZipScanners. It’s so very cool that they’re a locally based company. Once it arrives, I know some trouble spots I’ll be hitting in Saint Paul, Minneapolis, and in Dakota County to test. I’m happy to take requests for other LSM trouble spots in the metro and report back. I’d also be happy to demo the unit at a local gathering. I haven’t been able to attend one yet, as I work Sunday evenings, but if there’s interest I’d be open to other times. Either way, I’ll keep the forum updated on how it does with ARMER.

Raven95150

Premium Subscriber
Awesome, I didn't realize they were available to order yet. I just ordered one from them too. Looks like the estimated ship date is June 11th.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

JASII

Memory Capacity
SDS-100 production models are arriving to consumers this week.

Also, in case anybody here missed it, Whistler has announced their intent to produce LSM capable scanners, both a portable and a base/mobile version.

Also, SDRplay introduces the RSPduo with dual independent tuners.

There will be some interesting new equipment available this year.

https://forums.radioreference.com/uniden-tavern/371226-sds100-first-impressions.html

https://whistlergroup.com/blogs/news/whistler-to-launch-new-lsm-capable-scanners

https://forums.radioreference.com/software-defined-radio/370608-sdrplay-announces-rspduo.html

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/sdrplay-release-a-dual-tuner-sdr-called-rspduo/

fmulder13

The short answer is very, very well. I can't say it never garbles or misses a transmission, but so far the testing I've done has yielded very positive results on the Minneapolis CC, Minneapolis N/S, Hennepin East, Ramsey, Dakota, Goodhue, and Rice sites.

I've tested it in the 436hp's "dead zones," including Highway 52 and Cedar Ave in Dakota County, and 50th and France in Edina. It receives nearly perfectly in those places. My first ride with the SDS was great-on and off deafness on the 436 while the SDS was consistently chatty up and down 52 from St. Paul to Zumbrota and back.

My apartment is a strange place evidently. My G5 has struggled a bit to decode on a number of sites, but my XTS500s have never seemed to have an issue. The SDS does well overall, but misses some transmissions and comes late to others. Average RSSI seems to be around -100dbm, fluctuating between -116 and -80, depending on where I am in the apartment.

I seem to be able to pick up 2-3 more sites in the apartment than the 436 can, although side by side the 436 has caught some transmissions on the stronger towers that the SDS has missed. I'm investigating further.

I've heard a few garbled transmissions when the RSSI has been around -45dbm, and seen the digital error count rise up to 45 or so.

I do wonder how attributable the few instances of garbled/missed audio are to RF interference. There's a cell tower at Cretin and Lincoln in St. Paul that deafens both G5 and SDS100, while the XTS is completely unphased.

BTW, this is all with RadioShack 800mhz BNC antenna with the adapter. I ran an all-band antenna mag mounted to the car, and heard much more transmission garbling, and found that it completely lost the signal just like my 436 loves to do. Switching back to the RS antenna inside the car fixed that issue. I tried a Laird Phantom 800 mhz antenna yesterday on the same mag mount, and it performance was comparable to the RS antenna-overall good.

I'm going to keep testing and posting.

Finnesotan

I can add that the SDS100 is working very well on Anoka County simulcast and Hennepin systems so far after first day of use here. On par with Unication G4 side by side. Both using stock antennas. No garbled transmissions thus far.

mark432k

KC0LRU
ARMER in SW Minnesota

I can hit the Beaver Creek and Kanaranzi - Ellsworth towers and so far I'm very impressed with it's performance. I live in Sioux Falls, SD so it's a stretch reception wise but I'm very happy.

Finnesotan

Does anyone have any recent feedback on the MN ARMER simucast site reception with the SDS100 with/without updated firmware? Any further comparisons to other recent comparable scanners?

jdm911

Does anyone have any recent feedback on the MN ARMER simucast site reception with the SDS100 with/without updated firmware? Any further comparisons to other recent comparable scanners?

I noticed many more missed transmissions with going to the new FIrmware. In fact I was trying to revert back but in the meantime Uniden offered up the beta which seems to be much better but still not as good as the firmware before the last official update in my opinion (Duluth Simulcast). Back to at least 9/10 thankfully.

Current Firmware: 1.03.03
Sub: 1.01.05.

________________________ After posting this and still missing the 10/10 performance I reverted back to 1.02.05b....10/10 again.

Last edited:

bearcatrp

Premium Subscriber
Is this scanner really needed in Minnesota? We all thought the 436/536 was the killer scanner when they came out. You can only listen to one talking at a time with the new scanner, right? I live by St. Cloud and wonder if it’s worth it.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Is this scanner really needed in Minnesota? We all thought the 436/536 was the killer scanner when they came out. You can only listen to one talking at a time with the new scanner, right? I live by St. Cloud and wonder if it’s worth it.

I have had scanners most of my life. I am 57 years old and got my first, crystal controlled scanner when I was a teenager. With that in mind, I have seen quite a few changes over the years. Like many products in life, manufacturers will add new features to get consumers to buy.

Some people find certain features more important than others. For example, when PL tone was an option with an accessory board and switch from Uniden, I bought it and loved it. It added to my understanding of two-way communication systems, too. Of course, many other people didn't see the need and kept using their older scanners.

Other changes can shut people out, if they don't keep up. For example, when some organizations went to 800 MHz around the country, you had to have that band to listen. Some older scanners were analog VHF/UHF and didn't have 800 MHz.

When some systems went to trunking and your radio didn't trunk track, you would be shut out. Some would try and follow with conventional equipment, but it was probably frustrating.

There are now various digital modulation types in use around the world. P25, DMR, NXDN, System Fusion, D Star, etc. If your radio isn't capable of decoding that type, you will be shut out.

If you're listening is AM aircraft, none of that really matters to you. You can keep listening to your service on whatever radio tunes in to that band.

Most public safety in Minnesota is on ARMER. It is a digital APCO P25, trunked, 800 MHz system. If that is what interests you and what you are using now works, don't change anything.

However, areas with simulcast can be a source of frustration for some people. Many/most consumer grade scanners can't decode it properly and the audio doesn't sound good.

The SDS100 is reported to perform much better on simulcast systems because of a change in receiver design. It also has DMR and NXDN options available.

Some people only are interested in certain services. For example, fire service is their thing and they have zero interest in anything else,

Other people like having a device that has the ability to listen to as many things as possible. They want it all.

As time goes on, it is getting more difficult to have a "Swiss Army knife" radio that will do everything AND do it well. And, if it does, to have an affordable price.

AOR makes some very solid radios. Their AR-DV1 will monitor a number of digital modes. I don't believe that they will trunk-track, however.

I apologize for the length of this response, but hopefully it is helpful. The bottom line is, if you like what you have and use. If it works, don't bother spending the money for anything else. Sort of like my 8 year old car. I have no need to update right now.

On the other hand, if you feel like your audio on the 436/536 does sound garbled sometimes, you might want to consider upgrading.

You should know, too, that the SDS-100 isn't your only choice, however. I happen to have a Unication G5 and it performs better than any consumer grade scanner I have ever used. It isn't cheap and won't listen from DC to daylight, but what it does, it does very well.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber

I travel to Minnesota each year and have both the 436 and 536. They perform well in most areas of the state.

The only issues are in areas where simulcast is used - Metro area and would include St. Cloud. In those areas, clear reception is "iffy". If you are close to a tower, it's good. If you are equally between towers, it's bad.

The SDS100 is much better at dealing with decoding simulcast. I had the opportunity to see one in action on our local simulcast system, which was challenging for my 436 and 536.

Just today I ordered a SDS100 for an upcoming trip to Minneapolis and want to avoid simulcast garble.

Status
Not open for further replies.