Unication G4 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

Golson2210

Can anyone help me with a Unication Profile for the Anoka area? Specifically trying to figure out how to set up paging for the Anoka Fire Channels, and how to get rid of the default conventional channel.

Thanks

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Are you looking to set it up for two tone paging or just the trunking side, it is quite the different setup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Unless the county uses P25 paging, which last time I was there they didn’t you would have to set it up on the analog channel. At this point the only way to do it on the trunking would be to set the alert for every time someone keys up on the paging talkgroup.

mmtstc

Ø
Premium Subscriber
All Anoka county firefighters now carry G5 pagers and use 800 for paging. There is a VHF backup as well.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
That is good to know, now the thing to do is decode the P25 tones and match them to each department. Then the G4/G5 can be programmed for paging.

mnrick

I was considering a Unication G5.

From what I understand you cannot scan more than one system at a time but you can program a different system to each knob position?

For example I would not be able to listen to Scott County and Dakota County at the same time but I could put Scott at Knob position 1 and Dakota at Knob position 2, E Hennepin at 3 and so on?

I want to understand before I buy. If I can only listen to one system period then I do not want it but if I can program different systems into different knob positions then I might be interested.

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Yes you can only scan one system at a time but system being,

ARMER, WISCOM, Conventional etc...

Now when the G5 is scanning a trunking system it will lock into and stay on the best site, it will roam automatically as you move through the system area. This being said you can add the talkgroups from the counties you listed to one list but you will only hear the traffic if it is on the site the G5 is listening too.

You can define sites in the G5 to force it to stay on a site, and then you would just change the knob to change sites.

The G5 functions like a radio without transmitting.

mnrick

So for example could I program all the State Trooper TGs and listen to them anywhere in the stste as the whole state is ARMER?

Is "site" defined as a specific tower or is it a control channel?

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
To the first question yes.

To the second, the one site would be defined by one RFSS and Site Number, if you look at the ARMER DB each site has it’s own unique address if you will it spits out so the radios know were they are. These sites can be made up from one physical tower(multicast) or several physical towers(Simulcast)

mnrick

Ok .. it sounds interesting . I'm used to regular scanners.

With the G5 is there any limit to how many system sites or control channels I can put in? I usually travel an area of Dakota, Scott and Hennepin Counties every day. Let's say I want to enter all their control channels? Or would I even need to do that?

With a scanner for example if I have state patrol TGs in there but I only have the Scott county CC freqs entered I would lose reception as I got further away from Scott County. If I want to travel around the metro and continue to monitor I'd need to have the CCs from the various counties programmed in.

Does the G5 operate the same way or do you just put the armer info in and it works anywhere in the state?

ScanWI

MN & WI DB Admin
Database Admin
Kind of, while you can put in only the Scott county control channels as long as you start the pager in that area it will learn the rest of the system and keep going. I only have like 20 CCs in mine for ARMER. However if you turn off the pager in Anoka and then back on in Becker it may not have learned the new sites yet. The way around this is to turn on Band Scan, if the pager cannot find a CC from the preprogrammed ones it will search a predetermined range and lock into the first one it finds.

Status
Not open for further replies.