STICKY thread for Fed & MilAir MS

Status
Not open for further replies.

KE5TLF

Been perusing the fed/military bands some the last few weeks and have made a few discoveries I'd like to share and get some feedback on. Although it pretty much seems all I am doing around here is talking to myself. :mad:
We now have Federal and Milair pages on the Mississippi DB front page too for those who may not have noticed.

New discoveries

173.4125 293 NAC - Definite EMS usage. Unit was "getting back onto Pass Rd." and other EMS related traffic was heard. So.....
VA Hospital or KAFB? either one fits.

164.9625 293 NAC - I've heard "21 Biloxi all gates are now closed". According to this thread it is VA security which I have no reason to doubt and fits with what very little I've heard. Would like one more confirmation before making it official. There are also some other interesting bits of info in that thread as well.

173.100 330 NAC - LEA operating in Foley, AL. Suspect FBI. I've only heard it active at night also. One unit is encrypted. At least 3 others are in the clear. Using first names to identify each other.

169.450 100.0 PL - Customs and Border Protection. Had a training operation in Gulfport Harbor today among other traffic. At least two "Mike" (marine) units involved making hourly check-ins with Charlie 100. Added to DB.

171.6625 136.5 PL - Heard only very briefly giving call sign (which I missed) "on air to ground". This is a National Incident Radio Support Cache frequency. Suspect US Forestry Service use.

Last edited:

ecps92

Nice finds.

For 173.4125, I would tend to think KAFB since all of my finds on that frequency are AFB or AFRB

169.4500 Rptr or Simplex?? Rptr is NET-02 and Simplex would be TAC-02

Been perusing the fed/military bands some the last few weeks and have made a few discoveries I'd like to share and get some feedback on. Although it pretty much seems all I am doing around here is talking to myself. :mad:
We now have Federal and Milair pages on the Mississippi DB front page too for those who may not have noticed.

New discoveries

173.4125 293 NAC - Definite EMS usage. Unit was "getting back onto Pass Rd." and other EMS related traffic was heard. So.....
VA Hospital or KAFB? either one fits.

164.9625 293 NAC - I've heard "21 Biloxi all gates are now closed". According to this thread it is VA security which I have no reason to doubt and fits with what very little I've heard. Would like one more confirmation before making it official. There are also some other interesting bits of info in that thread as well.

173.100 330 NAC - LEA operating in Foley, AL. Suspect FBI. I've only heard it active at night also. One unit is encrypted. At least 3 others are in the clear. Using first names to identify each other.

169.450 100.0 PL - Customs and Border Protection. Had a training operation in Gulfport Harbor today among other traffic. At least two "Mike" (marine) units involved making hourly check-ins with Charlie 100. Added to DB.

171.6625 136.5 PL - Heard only very briefly giving call sign (which I missed) "on air to ground". This is a National Incident Radio Support Cache frequency. Suspect US Forestry Service use.

darrendotcom

I saw major fires in the Desoto National Forest yesterday on my way down to the coast. There were US Forestry Service fire crews on the side of US 49 fighting the fires. So this may have been the US Forestry Service .

KE5TLF

Appreciate the feedback very much.

I was kinda favoring KAFB for the EMS one. I'll hold out a little longer hoping for further feedback and hope to catch more traffic myself before officially entering it in the DB.

Guess I forgot to add it was NET 2. That one is 100% confirmed by me over several transmissions.
"Charlie 100, Mike ###, on NET 2...etc." WIth hourly check-ins on or about the top of every hour.

Also just found a list of known NACs in the Wiki this morning indentifying NAC 330 as FBI so I'm almost certain now that is what that one is.

Nice finds.

For 173.4125, I would tend to think KAFB since all of my finds on that frequency are AFB or AFRB

169.4500 Rptr or Simplex?? Rptr is NET-02 and Simplex would be TAC-02

Last edited:

KE5TLF

I saw major fires in the Desoto National Forest yesterday on my way down to the coast. There were US Forestry Service fire crews on the side of US 49 fighting the fires. So this may have been the US Forestry Service .

Ah, that's good enough confirmation for me then. I'll add that freq. to the current list of identified Incident Support Cache freqs we allready have then. :) Any of those are subject to be used in the state for that purpose anyway.

KE5TLF

UGH! Just noticed a mistake in my OP. 171.1375 136.5 PL is the Incident Support Cache freq. i heard the "on air to ground" traffic on.

171.6625 200 NAC is another freq. I've found and I am hearing "Golf" units operating on it this morning. They stopped a cargo van with Mexican tag on I-10 this morning. All evidence points to ICE/DRO me thinks?

KE5TLF

149.150 AM - Fighter jet training ops. Air to Air and Air to Ground comms. 1 Failed to fire an AMRAAM and the other sucessfully fired 2 AMRAAM's. Full report given to ground station about the firing exercise.

KE5TLF

148.125 127.3 PL and 4F9 NAC Obvious Civil Air Patrol. Blowing me away in Jackson County so.... MS051 Singing River Composite Squadron?

signal500

K4DPS
Premium Subscriber
171.6625 200 NAC is another freq. I've found and I am hearing "Golf" units operating on it this morning. They stopped a cargo van with Mexican tag on I-10 this morning. All evidence points to ICE/DRO me thinks?

This is a ICE wide area system frequency, along with 171.325, 171.7625. The input is 164.925. Thanks for all of the info, keep up the good work.

173.100 NAC330 is the FBI and it is linked together with 167.5125 and 167.5375 repeaters. The input is 164.0125.

ecps92

Good Catch for the R-61 Rptr, I haven't looked at a Map, but could this be over in Alabama for the Rptr ?Crooked Oak ?? / Muscle Shoals?

148.125 127.3 PL and 4F9 NAC Obvious Civil Air Patrol. Blowing me away in Jackson County so.... MS051 Singing River Composite Squadron?

KE5TLF

This is a ICE wide area system frequency, along with 171.325, 171.7625. The input is 164.925. Thanks for all of the info, keep up the good work.

173.100 NAC330 is the FBI and it is linked together with 167.5125 and 167.5375 repeaters. The input is 164.0125.

Thanks a ton for the awesome feedback :D

KE5TLF

Good Catch for the R-61 Rptr, I haven't looked at a Map, but could this be over in Alabama for the Rptr ?Crooked Oak ?? / Muscle Shoals?

Anything is possible (ducting etc.) but considering the strength and quality of the signal I'd say chances are it was MUCH closer to me.

BTW 149.150 just went active again.

"we'll stay to the west side of the airspace so we don't go into DeSoto 2."

Doing bombing training today, dropping a single GBU-38 (JDAM)

Last edited:

ecps92

I found an old list of CAP MS Wing Sites, No Freq's as they all changed with the move from Wideband to Narrowband, but the Sites typically would have remained the Same. There are reportedly 9 Fixed Site Repeaters, I have:

Ackerman
Biloxi
Hattisburg
Jackson
Newton
Tupelo

Anything is possible (ducting etc.) but considering the strength and quality of the signal I'd say chances are it was MUCH closer to me.

BTW 149.150 just went active again.

"we'll stay to the west side of the airspace so we don't go into DeSoto 2."

Doing bombing training today, dropping a single GBU-38 (JDAM)

KE5TLF

Cool. I am also in a position to receive traffic from southwest Alabama(Mobile and Baldwin counties) too if you have any information on sites in that area?

Just noticed I didn't elaborate that the traffic I heard were "Mockingbird" units so it was a MS Wing I'm sure.

I found an old list of CAP MS Wing Sites, No Freq's as they all changed with the move from Wideband to Narrowband, but the Sites typically would have remained the Same. There are reportedly 9 Fixed Site Repeaters, I have:

Ackerman
Biloxi
Hattisburg
Jackson
Newton
Tupelo

Last edited:

ecps92

The KNOWN ones for AL are in the RR WIKI

The Unknown Sites are:Tuscaloosa and Victoria

Cool. I am also in a position to receive traffic from southwest Alabama(Mobile and Baldwin counties) too if you have any information on sites in that area?

Just noticed I didn't elaborate that the traffic I heard were "Mockingbird" units so it was a MS Wing I'm sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.