Help on buying a digital scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.

ripcord46

First thanks for all the great information on this site
I have 2 scanners, an old Pro-39 and a Pro-107. Looking around for a new scanner.
From what I read a lot of agencies are going to digital systems. I live in east Brandon,MS.
Have been reading about the Pro-106 , GRE PSR-800, GRE PSR500 ,BCD396XT
I know you all have a lot more knowledge than I do and maybe you all can guide me
in the right direction.

Thanks in advance

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hi ripcord46:

Welcome to Radio Reference - glad to have you aboard. With all the trunking systems that you have in your home state - I counted 86 - you'll definitely want a scanner to monitor trunking as well as conventional systems. That being said, and being a fan of the Uniden products, I would suggest the BCD396XT. It's a great unit and should be just what you need. Go to the Wiki section at the top of the page and click on Radio Models to get the 396XT and look at the features of this scanner. You can also check out the other models you mentioned such as the GRE models. I'm sure that members here that favor the GRE scanners will offer their opinions also. Hope this helps!

Russell

Remo_Willams

Premium Subscriber
I'm from east Brandon also. I have the pro-106 and the Psr-800. I mainly scan all of rankin co law and fire. I've had the 106 since they came out. The 800 for 8 months. Side by side the 106 picks up the conversation 3 or 4 seconds faster than the 800. I may have the 800 programmed wrong.

Remo

KE5TLF

The 106 and 500 guts are identical, only the outsides are different. What you get in the box is also very different. You get an antenna, the two battery holders, and a belt clip with the 106, and that's it. The 500 also includes a programming cable, and wall wart. I find the 20 "quick keys" to be somewhat of a constraint. Also if you want to program it to where each site in a multi-site system is on it's own quick key then memory capacity is likely to become a problem since each site has to have it's own set of talkgroups. Really only an issue if you like to organize things in that matter.
The 800 is kinda computer dependant to really maximize it's usage. No STAT mode for multi site systems is HUGE drawback.
All those GRE based products are pretty awesome on 700/800 trunking. VHF and UHF reception often has overload issues in areas of higher RF density though. Notch filters (expensive) and the local attenuator setting can overcome this in some cases.

Unidens memory management is much more flexible(and logical) imo.
99 system quick keys with 10 group quick keys a piece. You can actually have 20 groups per system, but some will have to either not have GQK's or will have to share them others.
You can put many sites in a single trunk system and they will all share a single talkgroup list.
Frontend overload and selectivity in the VHF and UHF band is rarely an issue.

Plenty of existing topics on all them here and in the manufacturer specific forums you may want to peruse as well.

Last edited:

ripcord46

I am really looking at the Uniden Home Patrol1 or the Uniden BCD 396XT what do you all think.
I only use it at home, are any of you using either one

Thanks again for all the help

David

russellmaher

KC1ANC
Hello David:

I am also thinking about upgrading to either the HP-1 or the 396XT and since I have been using the 396T since 2006 and am familiar with how it operates, I am leaning more in that direction. I'm very happy with the 396T - it has served me well through the years - moves from house to car to fuel truck (at work) and gets beat up but still does the job.

I have read posts on here from unhappy members that don't like the way the HP-1 operates or the way it scans the systems in their areas, etc. Some seem to reason that if you pay that kind of money for it, then it should be error free; and don't we all have that kind of reasoning. I remember one fellow using the logic that since it is a brand new concept in scanner technology that maybe waiting for Uniden to "iron out the bugs" is the way to go. Maybe he was right!

So, to sum it up, I'll just say that I am a big fan of the Uniden line and I've had a few RS scanners in my lifetime, but I'm staying with Uniden. I've just got to decide....which!

Russell

ripcord46

Decided to try the HP-1

Got the HP-1 four days ago, so far I am really enjoying it.
I have been checking it with my Pro-107 and it picks up all
It does plus I get the digital. I also ordered a Diamond SRH 77CA,
The stock antenna does not look like a very good one should be here
tuesday.
Thanks again for the help

David

n5ims

I also ordered a Diamond SRH 77CA,

That antenna will work great on the two bands it's designed for (VHF-Hi and UHF, 140 - 170 and 430 - 470 MHz) but pretty poor on the 800 MHz band. Depending on which package you got, it may or may not say it will work on 800, but remember that "work" doesn't really translate to "work well". If the 800 MHz signal is quite strong you'll pick it up, if for fairly weak signals in that band, other antennas (such as the RS/GRE 800 MHz antenna) will work much better.

ripcord46

Checking between the original and this one it works as good on all bands, if I have my PRO-107 with the RS 800MHZ antenna on and the HP-1 on with the SRH 77CA antenna I get the 800MHZ band just as good on the HP-1.

BartowCountyScanner

Banned
I too have been looking at the HP-1. My county is scheduled to go digital in the next year or two and I am trying to find the best unit to provide my feed with.

Status
Not open for further replies.