Are Scanner's Illegal

Status
Not open for further replies.

ke6gcv

I agree with eaf1956. Scanners are not illegal to have inside your home. In some states, however, they are illegal to have in your vehicle unless you're a licensed Ham (Amateur) radio operator. If you plan to go mobile with your scanner, check your local laws before doing so.

BaLa

There are like 3 or 4 states that think they are special so they have special laws.

Link posted above by QPD2012.
This is posted in Missouri forum so closest is Minnesota and Indiana.

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I wonder what the legal status of certain “gray market” radios would be (if they have the U.S. Cellphone bands unblocked) when they are physically being used in the U.S.?

gewecke

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
I wonder what the legal status of certain “gray market” radios would be (if they have the U.S. Cellphone bands unblocked) when they are physically being used in the U.S.?
Illegal obviously, and there are thousands of them but then again this IS the 21st century and people need information any way they can get it. :wink: 73, n9zas

KC0UHS

RF23

Premium Subscriber
I have been told by a number of people in several different states that technically the scanner must be part of the amateur gear (the scanner is built into the federally licensed radio) for Hams to be allowed to use a scanner in their car in states that have laws against such use. I have several 2 meter rigs that have scanner capabilities built in but they are slow and do not trunk.

Has anyone else heard of this or know if it is true?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber

Considering they can no longer be used for monitoring cellular phones, I'm not sure anyone would be too concerned, or would make a big deal over it.

Status
Not open for further replies.