2017 - Kansas City Metro Area MARRS P25 Trunked Radio System

Status
Not open for further replies.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Unication Receivers

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else here using a Unication receiver to monitor this system (or any of the surrounding radio systems)? I was able to get my hands on one. It performs flawlessly on MARRS and KSICS. No multi-path distortion issues whatsoever!

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like KU Medical Center PD is beginning the P25 transition. I heard them doing test calls on the Reg Com channels earlier this evening. Word is they will be using full encryption once they move from the current Motorola analog system.

bctrainers

Sounds like KU Medical Center PD is beginning the P25 transition. I heard them doing test calls on the Reg Com channels earlier this evening. Word is they will be using full encryption once they move from the current Motorola analog system.

Is that who it was? Sounded nice and clear coming thru the radio.

mburge

What is Unication receiver?

Just out of curiosity, is anyone else here using a Unication receiver to monitor this system (or any of the surrounding radio systems)? I was able to get my hands on one. It performs flawlessly on MARRS and KSICS. No multi-path distortion issues whatsoever!

what is the Unication receiver and how do I get one?

bctrainers

what is the Unication receiver and how do I get one?

Unication USA (The G4 and G5 are similar, but slightly different use in spectrum and type)

I don't know the tech behind HOW the Unication radios are better than the run of the mill scanners. But from demos that I've seen and other general reviews, it's a rock-solid device. It simply does not drop transmissions, fade out transmissions or go robotic. Has a somewhat steep price tag however!

I think ScannerMaster.com carries the G4.

KCoax

Premium Subscriber

KU MED has been using a NEXEDGE96 system for the past couple years. I've not seen any Police aliases, but I've not monitored much, or in awhile. Maybe they are patching to the Reg Com or KCK PD talkgroups. Is that is possible from NXDN to P25?

Last edited:

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
KU MED has been using a NEXEDGE96 system for the past couple years. I've not seen any Police aliases, but I've not monitored much, or in awhile. Maybe they are patching to the Reg Com or KCK PD talkgroups. Is that is possible from NXDN to P25?

All public safety operations have been on the Motorola Type II system. The NEXEDGE system you're referring to is used by the University (for non public safety ops). I read the RFP paperwork for their new P25 system. They did mention something about putting some NXDN talkgroups in the new consoles. Whether or not that's possible could be an entirely different story.

RF-Burns

I am trying to help my brother who lives in Lee's Summit get a radio to work good on this system. I'm the tech guy but I live in NC. I've been looking at the Unication G4 for him or a Harris P7200 without registration.

My question is does this system use Motorola Omnilink? A lot of scanner listeners won't know what Omnilink is but the radio guys around will know. The reason this is important is because my brother wants to be able to listen to Jackson County Fire, Kansas City Fire, Cass County Fire and maybe Johnson County Fire from his living room. If the system uses Omnilink then this can be done with surrounding counties roaming, if not then each site/county will have to be programmed in separately eliminating being able to use a Unication G4 or a Harris Radio. Both the Unication and Harris P7200 can only scan 1 system at a time and programing in different sites as separate system would result in not being able to hear all three counties in one zone.

In scanner terms, when in Jackson County can you listen to Cass or Johnson County with the frequencies from Jackson County?

Anyone have this answer?

Last edited by a moderator:

pdmedic

All public safety operations have been on the Motorola Type II system. The NEXEDGE system you're referring to is used by the University (for non public safety ops). I read the RFP paperwork for their new P25 system. They did mention something about putting some NXDN talkgroups in the new consoles. Whether or not that's possible could be an entirely different story.

The NEXEDGE system is actually used by the Hospital not the University the University uses the new P25 system (just upgraded from the Motorola Type II system) on a techinical note the NXDN talk groups come into the dispatch consoles using dedicated NEXEDGE radios that are frequency agile.

PVPD730

Premium Subscriber
The NEXEDGE system is actually used by the Hospital not the University the University uses the new P25 system (just upgraded from the Motorola Type II system) on a techinical note the NXDN talk groups come into the dispatch consoles using dedicated NEXEDGE radios that are frequency agile.

Thanks for the info. I've personally never monitored the NEXEDGE system, but was told School of Nursing and others were on there.It's easy for people not familiar with KUMC to mix up the two entities who operate on campus (Hospital Authority and the University). At any rate, glad to hear everything with the transition is going smoothly.

Status
Not open for further replies.