MOSWIN in Illinois?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flhays

Premium Subscriber
I was looking at the site map for MOSWIN and noticed there were several sites across the river, in Illinois. I can see a need for one or two, maybe three, since the topography along the river can be challenging. Are five in the Metro St.Louis area in Illinois necessary? I guess they are since they are there. Can any one educate me?

mgolden2

I would imagine they built those towers in Illinois to not only expand the coverage on the east end of Missouri but to enable interoperability/interconnectivity with the Illinois radio system as well.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

flhays

Premium Subscriber
I see one is close to the Air Force Base, further east that I thought would be necessary. There may be a special connection there, top secret stuff?

talkpair

I can see a need for one or two, maybe three, since the topography along the river can be challenging. Are five in the Metro St.Louis area in Illinois necessary?
Keep in mind that many of the suburban agencies adjoining St Louis are also using the system. That's a lot of real estate to cover, especially when you expect portable coverage to be as good as mobile coverage.

Using multiple sites (or ID's) allows restrictions to be placed on talk groups so that they can only operate on a few sites, thereby conserving channel resources. Airport runway maintenance for example, does not need to be heard city-wide, so it's talk group is most likely restricted to using the Lambert site.

Starcom21

IL /MO/Global DB Adm!n
Database Admin
METRO

The "METRO" sites are for METRO Bus and METRO Link (Light Rail) AKA "Bi-State Development Agency"

There is a site in Pike Co IL that I have not been able to verify on air.

The Bi-State Development Agency is an interstate compact formed by Missouri and Illinois in 1949. Since February 2003 the agency has been doing business as Metro.[2] It operates with a budget of $160 million[citation needed], which is funded by sales taxes from the City of St. Louis and St. Louis County, the St. Clair County Illinois Transit District, federal and state grants and subsidies, and through fare paying passengers.[3]

Metro owns and operates the St. Louis Metropolitan region's public transportation system, which includes MetroLink, the region's light rail system; MetroBus, the region's bus system; with Metro Call-A-Ride and Metro Call-A-Ride Plus, the paratransit minibus system. In addition, Metro also owns and operates St. Louis Downtown Airport (formerly Parks) and the adjoining industrial business park, paddlewheel-style river excursion boats, the tram system leading to the top of the Gateway Arch, and the Arch's parking garage. Metro has more than 2,400 employees and carries over 55 million passengers each year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.