Other activity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluesfan

Does anyone monitor radio activity like MODOT or local tow services? I am wanting to scan as local and close as I can. What does everyone monitor in your area?

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
I do listen in on MODOT but mainly during snow plow operations and sometimes during flooding situations around the St Louis area. Also during winter weather situations I used to monitor AAA. They used to have two VHF freqs and one 800MHz simplex channel. Have not listened in for a few years. I used to listen in on taxi services. There used to be quite a few and were mostly on UHF freqs. When I am in the mood I will try and monitor FRS (type) channels for stores like Target, Walmart etc. And the old drive through freqs at McDonald's etc. They can be fun.

Speaking of MODOT. I believe they have taken a long time to migrate to MOSWIN. I think it would be a great way for them to use that system since they are already a statewide resource. All MODOT regions programmed in the radios and they could go anywhere in the state with no problems However I do understand one situation that could prevent them from using the repeater system of MOSWIN during plow operations.

If I am correct, they use their VHF high band simplex channels because, as some of us know, using a repeater system (and driving side by side-literally) you can not hear the truck(s) right next to you. They somehow cancel their signal. And......there could be many gang plows going on at the same time in a particular area causing possible overload of traffic on one frequency. I got a suggestion but I am sure, for some reason, it won't work.

If they go to MOSWIN they could dedicate a non repeater channel (or two) for close contact gang plowing. A simplex 700/800 channel would work well, no repeater dead air situation and the 700/800 freq does not travel as far as a VHF freq does and it could help out with multiple gang plow situations.

Just a thought. And I am sorry for getting waaaaaay off track. But hey, maybe it will bring about some good responses here on the MO forum.

Bluesfan

I'm just thinking there are several businesses that travel all around my area and they may be worth a listen. Tow services, school buses, trash services?, public works, local bus service? maybe.
I will give close call more time though. I'm really just learning this BCD436hp.

scanman1958

Premium Subscriber
Yes there is a lot to listen to. A lot of businesses use private trunked systems. You may want to search under MO trunked systems in the database. You will find many. It may take a while to search them and find local stuff but I would try that good luck.

iamhere300

I do listen in on MODOT but mainly during snow plow operations and sometimes during flooding situations around the St Louis area. Also during winter weather situations I used to monitor AAA. They used to have two VHF freqs and one 800MHz simplex channel. Have not listened in for a few years. I used to listen in on taxi services. There used to be quite a few and were mostly on UHF freqs. When I am in the mood I will try and monitor FRS (type) channels for stores like Target, Walmart etc. And the old drive through freqs at McDonald's etc. They can be fun.

Speaking of MODOT. I believe they have taken a long time to migrate to MOSWIN. I think it would be a great way for them to use that system since they are already a statewide resource. All MODOT regions programmed in the radios and they could go anywhere in the state with no problems However I do understand one situation that could prevent them from using the repeater system of MOSWIN during plow operations.

If I am correct, they use their VHF high band simplex channels because, as some of us know, using a repeater system (and driving side by side-literally) you can not hear the truck(s) right next to you. They somehow cancel their signal. And......there could be many gang plows going on at the same time in a particular area causing possible overload of traffic on one frequency. I got a suggestion but I am sure, for some reason, it won't work.

If they go to MOSWIN they could dedicate a non repeater channel (or two) for close contact gang plowing. A simplex 700/800 channel would work well, no repeater dead air situation and the 700/800 freq does not travel as far as a VHF freq does and it could help out with multiple gang plow situations.

Just a thought. And I am sorry for getting waaaaaay off track. But hey, maybe it will bring about some good responses here on the MO forum.

MODOT has no plans to move en masse to MOSWIN.

Status
Not open for further replies.