Mt p25

Status
Not open for further replies.

emtbls1987

Got a Question for P25 listeners?.
Can you listen to Lewis And Clark County from Kalispell MT. and has anyone heard anyone from Flathead County Fire on the New System

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
There have been a few very remote instances of Lewis and Clark County talkgroups affiliating on some of the sites in the Flathead County area - however it is very very rare.

Flathead County Fire is not on the new system - however Whitefish PD has made the switch (talkgroups 4821)

jjwhite29

Premium Subscriber
I was in Helena yesterday with my PSR500 and I was picking up some talk that souned like it was encrypted so did I put the system in wrong or they have encryted channel i could hear dispatch fine but when the officers talked back coiuld not hear them.

I was in Helena yesterday with my PSR500 and I was picking up some talk that souned like it was encrypted so did I put the system in wrong or they have encryted channel i could hear dispatch fine but when the officers talked back coiuld not hear them.

You are correct. Basically dispatch either forgot to flip a switch so they encrypted on their side or they chose not to.

jjwhite29

Premium Subscriber
Well that bites because i will probably go there a lot my sister lives there. I guess i will pick up what I can I really like Utah system when you could pick up pretty much the whole Northern half o the state from my place in Tooele.

It's really annoying and kinda mind boggling as to why Montana would have a statewide P25 system. Oh how I long for the old days of regular old conventional analog freqs..Was wondering also if the Kalispell, MT and Flathead Lake/Valley area was mostly conventional still?

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kalispell PD, Whitefish PD, and Columbia Falls PD have all moved over to the new system. Flathead County SO has partially moved over (they've been testing countywide coverage for a while)

The fire departments are next in line...

This just seems funny to me that a place like Kalispell MT. is migrating to a statewide P25 system and here where I live in the Seattle Wa area we are still on an 800Mhz Trunked sysytem. Not that I'm complaining, just seems like MT really doesn't need some big statewide P25 system as much as a large metro area as Seattle would. I'm sure it's coming soon but still you would think MT would be years away from getting on this P25 bandwagon. How well does that system really work with all the mountains? These sales departments/companies and or people that convince these states/cities/counties that they "need" a big huge statewide P25 system are really really good at what they do, either that or the people in the decision making positions within the communication departments are really nieve and just "believe" what these people tell them they need. or so it seems.

akuter

Premium Subscriber
When I first saw the news of the new system coming, I got a digital radio. 6yrs later I'm still waiting to show locally. Wyoming's system is just now showing wider signs of life after 6yrs.
Guess we need more stimulous money for a statewide system, while my brother's wife a teacher in Los Angeles is still been laydoff for the past year. Where was the "spending bill" for our teachers back in 2009 Mr. president. We don't need a P25 statewide system here yet. It's all about interops.

akuter

Premium Subscriber
Picked up TG 5045 on Clearwater Jct 155.0400 on Wen. at 3pm. Just caught the last few words, unable to identify who or what. This is also the Bozeman Pass site 155.0400 freq so still hopeing to log it again.

Helitac

Premium Subscriber
MT P25 Programming

I note many sites have essentially a duplication of frequencies (i.e. Bozeman and Clearwater above). What happens if we find the duplicates and program them as a separate site w/talkgroups versus entering each individual site w/talkgroups?

It seems we are getting quite a few new sites up (i.e. Kline (Roundup area)) There may be no way to program them all if you travel extensively throughout the state.

Just a thought worth tossing around.

batwingtech

When I first saw the news of the new system coming, I got a digital radio. 6yrs later I'm still waiting to show locally. Wyoming's system is just now showing wider signs of life after 6yrs.
Guess we need more stimulous money for a statewide system, while my brother's wife a teacher in Los Angeles is still been laydoff for the past year. Where was the "spending bill" for our teachers back in 2009 Mr. president. We don't need a P25 statewide system here yet. It's all about interops.

P25 Trunking is in the works in Gallatin County. You might be hearing some test traffic in the very near future.

Don't forget the rules of Montana now... Or Bozeman may be turning into BozAngeles sooner that you would like. When a person moves here it's a strict code violation to compare ANYTHING to how things are in California. =-) As long as we can keep changing the minds of the demanding Californians that have been coming here in droves, we might be able to keep our balanced budget instead of going bankrupt like what's happening southwest of us.

Actually the P25 system is coming together quite nicely, and people are starting to see the benefits. It's nice to see some fruition, as it has been in the works for a long time now.

batwingtech

I note many sites have essentially a duplication of frequencies (i.e. Bozeman and Clearwater above). What happens if we find the duplicates and program them as a separate site w/talkgroups versus entering each individual site w/talkgroups?

It seems we are getting quite a few new sites up (i.e. Kline (Roundup area)) There may be no way to program them all if you travel extensively throughout the state.

Just a thought worth tossing around.

There are a lot of duplicated frequencies, in Montana, and it makes it difficult to coordinate, as propagation can be tricky in a mountainous environment. There is work being done right now to help fight off interference issues. (There are a few issues out there at the moment.)

The duplication should make it a little easier for scanner listeners because they won't need to program as many frequencies.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Hi all,

Hope you don't mind resurrecting an old thread. I didn't want to start a new one when there are plenty of others for this system in the forum.

I'm looking over the statewide system in preparation for a road trip/vacation later this year and have some questions.

First - where do the RFSS 16 and site 10xx values come from? Are those just sites with unknown RFSS/site values, or are they really broadcasting those values?

Second - There appears to be a bunch of duplication of sites. For example, site 001-019 (HCSO) and 016-1005 (Havre). FCC only lists one tower site in Hill County. Both entries in the RRDB share the same (or very similar) frequencies. There's a few more like that - one more such example is Garrison with 001-010 and 016-1009, with similar frequencies. Obviously I'm too far away to monitor and confirm anything at this point, so I'm not going to submit any changes, but someone might want to take a look at these sites.

Third - the FCC data I pulled has zero Lewis & Clark county data for this system. I know FCC data is not to be taken as proof positive that a system is out there, or vice versa, but I would have thought that all the system would be licensed under one owner/entity, and I pulled everything for State of Montana PSSB (or similar) matching the frequencies. Here in Canada, one entity will own/operate/be licensed for the entire radio system's infrastructure, and users will be licensed for mobile licenses (and the occasional fixed license) to permit their use of said system, but all the tower sites will be on one license. Being that I'm having to look for Lewis and Clark licenses now separately, I gather this is not the case in the US - that in fact you can have a radio network where some of the fixed infrastructure is property of/licensed to the state, and some of it is property of/licensed to a city or county, etc?

stringbean2009

Premium Subscriber
MHP District 6

Hi all,

I live here in Kalispell and I recently went on a ride along with a Trooper and they are on Digital here now. I have been looking for it but havent seen it any where. Does anyone know more about this?

Thanks in advance.

imfunny

Trooper

i heard them on digital freq 154.890 i dont know they going have there own frequency yet i do know they also use analog frequency 154.785 too

thanks im funny

imfunny

here all the digital frequency's for flathead valley

Frequencies

154.875 CFPD old frequency

stringbean2009

Premium Subscriber
I have been scanning the channel for wild cards today and i picked up 2 that are new to me.
Talkgroup ID: 847 which seems to be MHP Kalispell dispatch as well as Talkgroup ID 4997 but I'm not sure what that is. I that i have heard on the second was 2 attempt to locates. Ill let you all know if i find out more.

Status
Not open for further replies.