Odd Audio

Status
Not open for further replies.

w7cma

Local PD is analog but some of the cars only emit a buzzing sound . Is this digital or encrypted? I cant attach a sound file but if anyone wants to monitor my feed they can hear what I am talking about. Feed # 29328 Missoula city police.
Thanks You for your time.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Local PD is analog but some of the cars only emit a buzzing sound . Is this digital or encrypted? I cant attach a sound file but if anyone wants to monitor my feed they can hear what I am talking about. Feed # 29328 Missoula city police.
Take a look at the database page for the county:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1625

For Missoula (city) PD, the dispatch frequency (155.6100) is listed twice. One listing for analog, the other, on the same frequency, is digital. The feed provider may either not have a digital scanner, or else has the frequency programmed with a PL code (for the analog transmissions), and programmed a second time without a pl.

I would suggest that you request your thread be moved to the Montana forum. Someone there might have information of any upgrades or changes planned for this system. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the red outlined triangle in the upper right corner of your original post, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

N8IAA

If you are using an analog radio for your feed, you will hear a buzzing sound when the P-25 is used. That would be your problem.

If you are using a scanner that has P-25, then the frequency is encrypted.

Larry

w7cma

If you are using an analog radio for your feed, you will hear a buzzing sound when the P-25 is used. That would be your problem.

If you are using a scanner that has P-25, then the frequency is encrypted.

Larry

Thank Larry,
I am using a conventional radio.

w7cma

Take a look at the database page for the county:
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?ctid=1625

For Missoula (city) PD, the dispatch frequency (155.6100) is listed twice. One listing for analog, the other, on the same frequency, is digital. The feed provider may either not have a digital scanner, or else has the frequency programmed with a PL code (for the analog transmissions), and programmed a second time without a pl.

I would suggest that you request your thread be moved to the Montana forum. Someone there might have information of any upgrades or changes planned for this system. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the red outlined triangle in the upper right corner of your original post, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there.

Thank You,
I have requested to move the thread.

bumby

Premium Subscriber
What you are hearing is the P25 digital signal used by some Missoula Police patrol units. Dispatch always transmits analog and one side of the conversation will be a buzzing audio sound. This is P25 signal on a non digital scanner. Additionally, occasionally you may hear a buzzing sound for both the dispatch and the patrol side that is a harsh cacophony of buzzing audio. This is a secure encrypted transmission. Most of the time dispatch or patrol unit will request or identify that they are going to transmit on secure, so you will be able to make note of that sound...The P25 buzz sound is random with the dispatch responding on analog.

w7cma

What you are hearing is the P25 digital signal used by some Missoula Police patrol units. Dispatch always transmits analog and one side of the conversation will be a buzzing audio sound. This is P25 signal on a non digital scanner. Additionally, occasionally you may hear a buzzing sound for both the dispatch and the patrol side that is a harsh cacophony of buzzing audio. This is a secure encrypted transmission. Most of the time dispatch or patrol unit will request or identify that they are going to transmit on secure, so you will be able to make note of that sound...The P25 buzz sound is random with the dispatch responding on analog.

So will a digital scanner then decode the audio? I understand if the transmission is encrypted it wont.

bumby

Premium Subscriber
odd audio

Yes a digital scanner capable of receiving P25 Phase 1 signals will receive Missoula Police digital transmissions.

w7cma

Yes a digital scanner capable of receiving P25 Phase 1 signals will receive Missoula Police digital transmissions.

Thank you bumby, I will look for one to replace this old radio I am using. Do you have any recommendations? I am thinking the Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 , or is it an overkill. Is ther a les expensive one that will do the job?

Thanks

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thank you bumby, I will look for one to replace this old radio I am using. Do you have any recommendations? I am thinking the Uniden Bearcat BCD996P2 , or is it an overkill. Is ther a les expensive one that will do the job?

Thanks
Older units, even the 396T, would decode it. However, I would not go that far back. Instead, the 996XT or 396XT would be a better choice, so that you could utilize the NAC code for the digital channel. On the Whistler side, WS1065, desk/mobile (WS1040 is the handheld sibling) can also utilize the NAC.

The 996P2 would certainly do the job. It would also 'future proof' you some, as it is P25 Phase II capable. The other scanners mentioned above are only Phase I. I don't see any Phase II in your area right now, but a number of systems around the country, including most of them in my metro area (DFW) are either converting to Phase II from Phase I, or building a new Phase II system. Your statewide system is P25 Phase I. Whther there are any future plans for an upgrade is something you'd need to keep an eye on.

w7cma

Older units, even the 396T, would decode it. However, I would not go that far back. Instead, the 996XT or 396XT would be a better choice, so that you could utilize the NAC code for the digital channel. On the Whistler side, WS1065, desk/mobile (WS1040 is the handheld sibling) can also utilize the NAC.

The 996P2 would certainly do the job. It would also 'future proof' you some, as it is P25 Phase II capable. The other scanners mentioned above are only Phase I. I don't see any Phase II in your area right now, but a number of systems around the country, including most of them in my metro area (DFW) are either converting to Phase II from Phase I, or building a new Phase II system. Your statewide system is P25 Phase I. Whther there are any future plans for an upgrade is something you'd need to keep an eye on.

Thank you Steve for you answer. I am also looking at the WS 1065 (lower Cost) I don't see this area upgrading to P2 any time soon. ( I may be wrong)

Thanks again
Carlos

bumby

Premium Subscriber
I concur with everything Steve stated, while I do not think Phase II will be added anytime soon, my thought is to get a scanner that includes Phase II, in case you move or just traveling in an area that does have Phase II, then your scanner is capable....I always tend to think of radios that are rich in features and capabilities rather purchasing a unit and then regret not getting the extra features and abilities. But then that is just my preferences...I do not really have any recommendations, any Uniden model that is Phase I capable is a great scanner. My suggestion is get it with Phase I and Phase II, but that will likely be more costly. My first Phase I was a 396xt, excellent scanner, but limited to Phase I.

Status
Not open for further replies.