• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

ht1000 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

dagwag77

Hi All, newb question (I'm sorry)...

What RSS do I need to program a HT1000? Is it the Astro (not 25) R08.50.00 or I have one thats HT1000; JT1000; Visar Conventional (V R03.03.00).

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Dave

dagwag77

OK - I got the cable and the radio, and I'm trying to read the codeplug. The comm test (F9) works, says OK, but I can't read the codeplug. I tried using a USB to serial adapter and then an older laptop direct to serial port with no luck. Do I need a super-old computer to program the ht1000s?

Thanks,
Dave

jim202

Did you make sure the RSS is looking for the right com port your connected to?

Are you running the computer in a pure DOS mode and not from inside a DOS window from
XP? If not, make a DOS bootable disk, restart the computer from the floppy disk and see
if it make a difference.

Jim

OK - I got the cable and the radio, and I'm trying to read the codeplug. The comm test (F9) works, says OK, but I can't read the codeplug. I tried using a USB to serial adapter and then an older laptop direct to serial port with no luck. Do I need a super-old computer to program the ht1000s?

Thanks,
Dave

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin

Thanks,
Dave

Radios like the HT1000 also need a RIB (Radio Interface Box) or a RIBless cable. If you are just using a standard Jedi cable, then you'll need a RIB.

dagwag77

I'm using a ribless cable (Serial). I'm going to try it in DOS mode on my old win 2k toughbook (has a serial port so I dont need to worry about the usb to serial converter being the problem). Thanks Mike (mconnell) for your help off the board. I'll let you all know how it goes...

Thanks,
Dave

Moto_Jedi

Your Moto HT/JT/Visar RSS isn't gonna work with your W2K machine either. You need to boot into pure DOS from a Windows 95 or 98 machine. Anything newer won't work without modifications or special applications.

dagwag77

OK - thank you to everyone who offered their help. I finally got the HT1000 programming to work...using an old toughbook CF-25 running windows 95 (had to boot to dos mode). I first had to figure out how to get the ht1000.exe program on to the cf-25, as the floppy drive was busted, the PCMIA slots weren't recognizing any of the accessories I had, and there are no USB ports....I can't believe that this old toughbook actually used to be in one of our cruisers. Anyway, figured out I could use hyperterminal to send over the .exe from one of the new toughbooks (only other computer in the station that has serial) and then reboot into dos, ran the exe and magic... Again, thanks to everyone who helped!

Sunshineandmonkeys

Premium Subscriber
I will do

Just that!! I'm still waiting on a battery for it to show up so i can get started.....and then its off to the races............err....well, more like off to the RIB and hex editor!

TOC2009

Hi Everyone

I need some help as well. I have just been thrown into programing the HT1000 and running in to all kinds of issues.

I have the radio all charged up Model:H01KDC9AA30N.
I didn't have a computer to run does so I installed a VMware to run dos. The application runs fine when I boot up.

I have a serial connection from the DB9 then to a DB25(male) to a DB25 (female) then connected to a that goes to the power black box (that is powered by a 9 volt battery) then to a Female DB25 which is connected to the radio which I beloieve is called a RIB. But honestly I have no idea. If any one has a picture on how everything connects and a little walkthrough on how to get the program runnign would be great.

Thanks
Sean T

Moto_Jedi

Hi Everyone

I need some help as well. I have just been thrown into programing the HT1000 and running in to all kinds of issues.

I have the radio all charged up Model:H01KDC9AA30N.
I didn't have a computer to run does so I installed a VMware to run dos. The application runs fine when I boot up.

I have a serial connection from the DB9 then to a DB25(male) to a DB25 (female) then connected to a that goes to the power black box (that is powered by a 9 volt battery) then to a Female DB25 which is connected to the radio which I beloieve is called a RIB. But honestly I have no idea. If any one has a picture on how everything connects and a little walkthrough on how to get the program runnign would be great.

Thanks
Sean T
You need to start off right to end up right. Forget the VM and use a W95/98 computer to load and run the RSS in pure DOS mode, as already mentioned above. That is your issue right now.

RibSetup.jpg

Your "power black box" is the RIB (Radio Interface Box). The radio cable connects the radio to the RIB. The DB9 and DB25 connects the RIB to the W95/98 computer running in pure DOS mode.

Unknown what kind of RIB and radio cable you're using, but I suggest genuine Motorola RKN4035D. Most aftermarket RIB to radio cables for the JEDI series radios are adequate but I personally stay away from them, especially the "ribless" ones.

Genuine Motorola RLN4008B RIB boxes are also recommended, but most of the cheap aftermarket ones you'll find on eBay seem to do well with the HT1000, MT2000 and MTS2000 radios.

Last edited:

shaft

Ive been using FreeDos to run the HT1000 RSS and programming it with the Ribless cable. Ive had no problems in the past year or so using this configuration.

I just boot from the CD, then change directories to the c:\ drive where the RSS is located and fire it up from there.

Moto_Jedi

Ive been using FreeDos to run the HT1000 RSS and programming it with the Ribless cable. Ive had no problems in the past year or so using this configuration.

I just boot from the CD, then change directories to the c:\ drive where the RSS is located and fire it up from there.
I know, I know... I knew someone would come along and say that. More people have problems doing it your way though than those who stick with the real deal.

It's no skin off my butt either way. TOC2009 can keep struggling with the VM or he can try the other route. It's up to him.

TOC2009

Hey Everyone

I just wanted to thank you for all your assistance. The diagram with explanation was awesome. With all the projects that I have on a go at the moment I think we are going to out source this process since VM ware option was our only option and with that most likely being the cause then I think why go any further.

Again thank you for all the great info.

Thanks
Sean T

Does anyone know in Calgary Alberta Canada that does that kind of service?

shaft

I know, I know... I knew someone would come along and say that. More people have problems doing it your way though than those who stick with the real deal.

It's no skin off my butt either way. TOC2009 can keep struggling with the VM or he can try the other route. It's up to him.

I understand what you are saying, and I agree with you that using the mfg spec way is usually the best for optimum results. But I figured I'd throw it out there as an option. Those RIB boxes arent exactly cheap ( at least when I priced them a while back)... You'd really cringe if you found out what type of computer I use too :)

Hey Everyone

I just wanted to thank you for all your assistance. The diagram with explanation was awesome. With all the projects that I have on a go at the moment I think we are going to out source this process since VM ware option was our only option and with that most likely being the cause then I think why go any further.

Again thank you for all the great info.

Thanks
Sean T

Does anyone know in Calgary Alberta Canada that does that kind of service?

Since you have the cabling to program, give FreeDos a shot first before sending it off for programming. Just download the image and burn it to a CD, then boot from the CD. its pretty easy.

sheriff16

hi i am having the same problem it keeps saying that it ahd no power but i kept hearing the beep from my radio what did you do to get yours working???? please tell me thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.