• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Nextel i355 help

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjoyster

I'm looking to purchase 22 i355's for a worksite. I am having difficulty getting a clear answer as to whether or not I can use the phone solely as a walkie talkie. In the past, my company has rented them and what we get is the i355 with direct connect (no group connect, no cell), and a nextel custom unit identification programming with name. Can I just purchase the phones and some used sim cards and just use the phone as a walkie talkie (without paying any kind of a service fee)?

rescuecomm

You will need a Nextel sim card in the phone to be able to access the Direct Talk feature but no activation is required. They can be had off the web for a few bucks. I have five i355's and three of them are programmed to power up in Direct Talk mode. The other two have activated Boost cards in them, but the DT feature still works.

Bob

Last edited:

moonboy

What would be the range of the radio off the network,also after i get few i355 and sim card and than what.

Thanks

rescuecomm

The range is about 1/4 to 1/2 mile depending on how many buildings and hills are between the users. I get about 1/4 mile around my house, but I live in a valley.

Bob

moonboy

Nextel i355

Thanks,as far as setting the radio what i need to do,after i get the Nextel i355 and sim car any special settings or plug and play.

Thanks

drunyon

Silent Key
Thanks,as far as setting the radio what i need to do,after i get the Nextel i355 and sim car any special settings or plug and play.

Thanks

Refer to my earlier post in this thread (#2). One of the links I included should help you get things setup properly. I followed the instructions and now have a group of 15 units operating flawlessly using the off-network feature. I'm seeing anywhere from 1/4 mile up to a 1 mile range depending on terrain and buildings.

Gilligan

Database Admin
I used two i355 radios at a distance of about 2 miles from a 2nd story building to a highway user. Also have successfully used them several miles between cars on the highway, not completely line-of-sight.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Nextel

Bob (and the group),

I have a two i315s and two i670s that I use exclusively for Direct Talk. How can I configure them so that they power up in Direct Talk mode?

Jim

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
don't think you can make any iDEN default to Direct Talk/MotoTalk automatically on power up, but you can set one of the menu/arrow/shortcut keys to go right to Direct Talk without having to wade through the menu to enable it everytime,.

rescuecomm

I have several of my I355's that go to the DirectTalk screen on powerup. This is done under settings/personalize/powerup=Directtalk. I can't say about the other models since the menu's vary.

Bob

cdesigns

Hey the new Motorola i290 from boost mobile can be set to MOTOtalk wich is the rename for Directalk, it can be set to be used on Mototalk with a software, I have the software and unlocked my 2 phones and they work excellent with great range and this phone are CHEAP $49 with sim card, and offcourse you need the right software difficult to find, most of them that say it will unlock the mototalk feature don't work.

toddc79

Hey the new Motorola i290 from boost mobile can be set to MOTOtalk wich is the rename for Directalk, it can be set to be used on Mototalk with a software, I have the software and unlocked my 2 phones and they work excellent with great range and this phone are CHEAP $49 with sim card, and offcourse you need the right software difficult to find, most of them that say it will unlock the mototalk feature don't work.

Any way you could possible point me in the right direction... I was looking to pick up a couple of these phones but I'm not really having any luck finding information that isn't super outdated. If you could help me out I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

1911SRB

Hey guys, question for ya:

I live in Sweden. There's not a single carrier that allows us to use any kind of "walkie talkie" feature on our cell phones. As far as I know, these phones (I'm thinking about the I355) are kind of like digital "walkie talkies", when used in the "direct talk" mode, right?

I've been looking to get something cheap, but digital and "secure". I was thinking about the TriSquare radios, but this is much cheaper and possibly better (because the I355 is made by Motorola = quality).

Would it be possible for me to buy 2 I355's + 2 nextel sim cards on ebay, have them shipped to Sweden, and ONLY use them as walkie talkies?
Again, there is no carrier that supports the "walkie talkie" features here, so would it work? I only want to use them as short range, secure digital radios.

JASII

Memory Capacity
Nextel i355 Help

Yes, it would be possible for you to buy these on Ebay. The biggest concerns that immediately come to my mind in this situation are:

-Would it be legal for you to operate on this frequency band in Sweden?

-Would you have a power adapter for charging, or is it just easier to use a 12 volt charger with a power supply in country?

-Make sure that the SIM cards had been activated at one time. I tried a brand new, never had been activated SIM card, but it did not work. Previously activated SIM cards should be readily available, however.

1911SRB

Thanks for your answer. I don't know how legal it is to use them here, but I'm gonna try to find out.

I've heard about some power adapters, I guess I'll get one of those.

I tried searching for "nextel sim card" on ebay, I found a few but most of them are NOT activated. Also, what's the difference with the 128k, 64k etc sim cards?
Am I searching for a nextel card or a sprint card or something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.