• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Suggestion with Motorola Spectra Siren/PA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I have been searching these forums and others and found a great deal of information, so I can actual ask this question clearly.

I have a Spectra VHF 110W Radio with an A9 head and 1 DEK. Everything works, no errors, programming fine, perfect working order.

Now I want to get the Siren/PA. I am only going to use the PA and Ex. Rad, as well as the air horn. (Programming the siren functions would be illegal for me to do).

Now I have read you have to enable the Siren and PA to get the airhorn to work. I also will add the SIREN and MAN button to the DEK that comes with the Siren/PA module I am going to get. The Module is a HLN1185E with Motorola Astro Spectra printed on it. This is because I found out that people were saying stuff defaulted to WAIL. However some say that doesn't effect the Spectra, because I checked and there is an option in RSS about what to do after loss of power. You can select "Last State" or "Off", so i will select off. I am still going to add those buttons just as a fail safe. Some also said you MUST have the Siren button to use the Air horn anyways.

Ok, now here is my question lol

I know there are selections for power output, such as 65, 75 and 100 Watts (as well as 135 if you have two speakers).
Now some people were saying about the quality of Dynamax speakers blowing and stuff, as well as saying they don't. So I have decided to narrow it down to two models that people were not having much trouble with. This would be the Federal BP100 and the Whelen SA314. They are both 11 ohms and 100 Watts.

Now on OnFreq, they were saying about how a hi line (or sumtin like that) where the spectra Siren/PA could get up to ~16 Volts of power, increasing the Power Watts by up to a 30% increase and that the speaker better have a power rating of that increase.

So the problem is, is that the speaker is rated at 100W, and the default for the Siren is 100W. Now obviously if I wanted to be safe I could put it to 75W, and i checked even with a 30% increase, it would be just under the rated 100W.

But OnFreq said that the cable had to be modified and you had to move a pin (the big square connector that goes to the Siren/PA). They said you needed a special tool or a home made one, so maybe someone could tell me about a home made one? Also, he says when you open it there is some membrane that you almost always break when opening it. I don't think he means the cable won't work after that, but the seal will never be the same again or sumtin. Also, is it worth this much trouble if the Siren/PA is already set to 100W? Will it be a problem about the voltage spike if it happened? I also heard that the Spectra Siren likes to spit out extra watts sometimes? Hopefully, since the one I am getting is the latest revision, these problems are fixed.

Also, any other Speaker suggestions? (used) Do Dynamax's have that bad of failure rate with the Spectra Siren/PA? I also heard that CPI is a good brand as well?
As of now, I am ONLY looking at good brand sirens (that are also cheap used), such as Federal, Whelen, and CPI. Maybe Code 3 as well. Just wondering on what you think I should do. I am hoping someone had to do this before (change the watts). Someone said you change it inside the Siren/PA with a jumper, but like I said, someone else says it is the pins, so I am not sure which one to believe (or if both are true!).

To anyone who replies, thanks for all the help! I really appreciate it! :)

--linkinpark9812

P.S. I posted this to the batboard as well, since they focus on this type of stuff, but I know there are some here on RR that know this stuff too! :)

Thanks again!

bwoodfire45

Premium Subscriber
Well, part of my job is building Squad cars and most of them have spectras w/ motorola 100w sirens, and we use "Show-me" siren Speakers and haven't had one blow yet that I know of. We have had Dynamax speakers blow however. I think they're reasonably cheap.

SHO-ME Speakers and Speaker Brackets
heres the link....hope it helps.

rcvmo

We have had Dynamax speakers blow however.
Yep, they don't last long. My greatest concern was where the spekaer wires exit the siren casing right where the bracket assembles. You can attempt to take it aprt and modify it, but why waste the time and effort.

A TS 100 under the hood does better justice.
rcvmo

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Dynamax for some reason have impedance issues with Motorola sirens. Id use a CPI or Whelen the True best is an atlas D60 but those arent very small to mount anywhere..

Well, so far I am looking to get either the Federal Signal BP100 or a Whelen SA314. I like the Whelen better due to size and their quality products.

Would those two models be alright with the Spectra?

I still wonder if I should try to reduce the Power with the Siren/PA Module. But If you guys have had fine results with the Siren/PA running 100W into a 100W rated speaker, then I guess it is alright.

Any other models to be on the look out for?

Thanks for all of the replies and suggestions!

Btw, How about Code 3 Sirens? Are the quality of those up to par of Whelens? Just wondering on different brands to consider.

(Weird, I can't edit my posts in this thread.)

Status
Not open for further replies.