• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

few questions about MTS-2000

Status
Not open for further replies.

jas196

Syd Australia (hawkesbury,lower mountains)
Hi everyone, i posted a few questions here-http://forums.radioreference.com/new-user-getting-started-forum/156200-total-noob-mts-2000-camnis-hsc-010-scanner.html#post1141104

i was told i should ask to have the thread moved to this forum but i didnt know who to ask to do this so im just gonna ask them again and the previous thread can be removed.

basically

1.do i need a RLN4008 RIB to program my unit (NOT UPDATE FIRMWARE!!) - RIB Radio Interface Box for Motorola RLN4008 RLN-4008 - eBay Accessories, Commercial Radios, Industrial Supply MRO, Business Industrial. (end time 27-Aug-09 10:05:50 AEST)

2.If i dont need a RIB is it just the data cable i need and will an after market one work fine? one like this Programming Cable For Motorola XTS3000 HT1000 MTS - eBay Accessories, Ham Radio, Radios CB, Ham Shortwave, Electronics. (end time 24-Aug-09 19:08:58 AEST)

I HAVE ALREADY BOUGHT THIS EXACT DATA CABLE SO I HOPE IT DOES!!!

3. And this might be my biggest question, but what RSS CPS software can I or should I use,??? i cant really find any help in this area, im not sure if im looking in the wrong places but like i said im a total noob when it comes to radios (not computers) and and only just starting to learn some of the technical jargon.

4...also would i have a problem with reprogramming at all if my unit is Xg0vernment n was used specifically on (old)p01ice and other sensitive bands? or would this have no affect at all..??

Motorola MTS-2000
FLASHport
Model # H01RDH9PW1BN

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
1. No

2. You can used the RIB-less models, they work just fine.

3. You will need the latest version of CPS (if it was CPS programmed last) or RSS (if it was DOS programmed last). You can probably find it on the internet somewhere, but the only safe way is to buy it from Motorola.

4. If it's a VHF or UHF or even 800 trunked, it will work on all those frequencies.

Hope this helps!

jas196

This is the one i have bought the seller states no rib required and for mts2000.
Programming Cable For Motorola XTS3000 HT1000 MTS - eBay Accessories, Ham Radio, Radios CB, Ham Shortwave, Electronics. (end time 24-Aug-09 19:08:58 AEST)

I really hope i havent wasted my money

i have two threads about the same thing now can one please be remove by a moderator..

Thanks for the help, im still confused tho because the in the other thread i was told i definately need a RIB,

anyways i think ill wait till i get the data cable ive already paid for and cant help with firmware ect coz im not going to use the old battery i have i took it apart and its that old it was leaking acid or all coroded up between two of the cells, definately dont wanna risk it.

thanks for the help
peace
jas

********i have started 2 threads asking the same thing now (one in newbie section) can one please be remove by a moderator..*********

62Truck

Ordinary Subscriber
Premium Subscriber
I have the same cable but I bought off a different guy..the cable works great haven't had any issues using it on my MTS.

jas196

I was planning on using Professional Tuner R02.02.00 will this work fine?

I found this disk for sale on ebay but im a bit unsure..??

Motorola Two-Way Radio Software - eBay, Commercial, Radio Equipment, Consumer Electronics. (end time 12-Sep-09 04:59:43 AEST)

There is one feedback saying illegal pirate copy!!! i got a few questions bout this...

I read through the moto software thread and read the article saying how seriously moto takes piracy, well im just curious why they are letting it happen now and why is he getting away with this? or has the software become freely distributable after they stopped support for the MTS???

also (just hypothetically) if one were to use THIS software is there any way it can toolproof or brick my radio because it isnt official????

Please dont get angry at me, the last thing i want to do is get kicked from these boards for providing links to illegal software or something. I dont endorse what this ebayer is doing nor do i think piracy is right.. This seller is obviously profiting from selling moto's software and i just need to know where i stand as i dont even know if the software is still copy righted, if directed to do so i will remove link straight away, i just need to know why this is being sold and what would happen if it was indeed bought to program a MTS..
Thanks guys.
Peace

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
If you will notice, that one has been pulled already. Motorola does a good job of policing eBay and having all the software removed from auction. The only way that you can be 100% safe and secure (even in the land of the upside down), is to purchase a legit copy from Big M. You get the disk, programming manual and support. What else could you ask for.

The CPS is also designed to work on a high powered computer. I use a 1.6GHz machine with no problems.

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
Theres a guy on ebay that I constantly see listings of kenwood, motorola, icom, yaesu, etc. all on a disk for $30 or something. I messaged him one time and he said that it included numerous Motorola CPS and RSS although this wasn't listed in the description. But they've gone away over time but more still pop up every few days

jas196

ok i realise how stupid that was, ive been told by josh that Professional Tuner isnt even for my radio.

That item has now been removed from ebay anyways so looks like it was dodgy as a $3 bill...

so is this right??

*********** its MTSX RSS VERSION R06.07.00 if i want to use dos and it was programed last with RSS.

OR

Motorola MTS2000 CPS R02.02.00 if it was last prog with CPS,,, ************

and these two progs.(mtsx and mts cps) are the only two actual programs used for programing a MTS2000 the only difference is the os, the computer, and the program versions(MTSX RSS VERSION R06.04.00,, V. R06.06.00)ect ...???

and lab and depot are versions of mtsx and made by motorola too, but for some reason they might be bad and toolproof my radio?

anyways any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
thanks heaps everyone
JAS

jas196

Also ive read i need to use a 486 or 286, but others were saying that they use P1 ~380mhz with 95 or 98 and using MTSX thru dos...

Im asking coz i know the 486 were ~50mhz and the 286 only ~5-10mhz, would having the extra 200-300mhz processor disrupt programming or something or wouldnt matter as long as your in DOS??...

Thanx again
peace
JAS

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
Well I program MTX8000 with a Dell Inspiron 600m with a 1.5 GHz processer in DOS 6.22. Toolproofing is to keep from people using unautherized software to program radios and is only on the newer MTS 2000s. I don't know much about the MTS 2000 because I only have experience with MTX8000s, of course they are the same radio pretty much.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
RSS is meant to be used in DOS mode. The slower, the better.
CPS is meant to be used in Windows mode. 1.6GHz machine I use runs flawlessly.

jas196

Ahh thats all good, the best computer i run is a dell c800 with a full 850mhz of power, havent got over the 1ghz hill yet..bahaha

Another NOOB question!!--

Could anyone please help me or point me to somewhere i can do some research about taking a ***s-record***, what it is? why and how i do it? because everytime i read of someone screwing up their radio the next post is "i really hope youve taken a s-record" but ive been looking around and cant find out even what it is..

I quickly scanned through the 350 odd pages of the RSS manual but couldnt find anything..

Thanks again guys yous are all helping me along heaps....

Peace
JAS

scanfan03

Premium Subscriber
An S-Record has to do with Lab. Although I haven't quite figured out how to get one either. I've got the aftermarket RIBless cable and don't think you can get the S-Record with it, but don't know.

jas196

Ok so basically every person that has a s-record for their radio obtained it by using illegal software to do so.. Why are there so many people openly talking about or actually having an s-record for? are these people retarted and want moto to come knocking??

Anyays I got a Dell XPi 133 cranked up today after a few issues got everything working 100% and now its a DOS only system, running DOS 6.22, also got another 64mb of RAM on its way so thats a total of 80mb ram including on board memory.

So you old school guys out there using RSS think this setup will be ok for programming.?... I still have yet to get my new battery tho so might end up needing CRS anyways bloody hope not..lol

Arghh yeah i was talking to MOTO today and they said that i couldnt get the software i need because its so old they dont provide support for it anymore, is this correct? are they really telling me that they are gonna leave all their old radios practically to become a paper weight because they dont wanna keep selling the soft to reprogram.????

With this in mind could i possible buy the authentic soft from someone that bought it legally and selling it on, or does the MOTO agreement prohibit this.???

Like what is moto thinking, they could sell it for like $50 with NO support an d still bring in the $$..

Its all seems bloody crazy to me..
Thanks again everyone.
Peace

Moto_Jedi

Ahh thats all good, the best computer i run is a dell c800 with a full 850mhz of power, havent got over the 1ghz hill yet..bahaha

Another NOOB question!!--

Could anyone please help me or point me to somewhere i can do some research about taking a ***s-record***, what it is? why and how i do it? because everytime i read of someone screwing up their radio the next post is "i really hope youve taken a s-record" but ive been looking around and cant find out even what it is..

I quickly scanned through the 350 odd pages of the RSS manual but couldnt find anything..

Thanks again guys yous are all helping me along heaps....

Peace
JAS
You mention that you have the MTSX RSS software manual, so I'd suggest that you slow down a bit and read it... The questions you've put forth here are all answered in the 304 page RSS manual last published.

NOTE: You will not find any references to an "S - Record" in any MTSX RSS manual. All references will be to the radios "Code Plug". Be sure you save an original copy of the radios "code plug", in a seperate little back-up file, BEFORE you write any changes to your radio... just in case.

Moto_Jedi

Anyays I got a Dell XPi 133 cranked up today after a few issues got everything working 100% and now its a DOS only system, running DOS 6.22, also got another 64mb of RAM on its way so thats a total of 80mb ram including on board memory.

So you old school guys out there using RSS think this setup will be ok for programming.?... I still have yet to get my new battery tho so might end up needing CRS anyways bloody hope not..lol
Yes, that computer will work fine with MTSX RSS. You don't even need to wait for the extra memory. 64mb RAM is more than enough. Will actually work fine with as low as 8mb RAM...

Arghh yeah i was talking to MOTO today and they said that i couldnt get the software i need because its so old they dont provide support for it anymore, is this correct? are they really telling me that they are gonna leave all their old radios practically to become a paper weight because they dont wanna keep selling the soft to reprogram.????
Yes, they are in business to sell newer equipment, not to support old equipment forever.

The MTS2000 CPS, version R02.02.00 ("Customer Programming Software" for Windows) should still be available for sale through Motorola. I just saw it listed in my MOL U.S. account.

With this in mind could i possible buy the authentic soft from someone that bought it legally and selling it on, or does the MOTO agreement prohibit this.???

Like what is moto thinking, they could sell it for like $50 with NO support an d still bring in the $$..

Its all seems bloody crazy to me..
Thanks again everyone.
Peace
Motorola software can only be obtained LEGALLY from Motorola. Get it from anywhere else and it's an unauthorized or pirated copy.

You should bear in mind that programming Motorola high tier radios was never intended to be done by the average Joe on the street. These radios were designed and built for mostly government use (mainly public safety and other critical applications). When they needed service or programming they were intended to be sent to an authorized Motorola source for repair/service by Motorola factory trained technicians. That's why it seems bloody crazy when a first timer gets into surplused Motorola equipment and tries to figure out everything from scratch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.