• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Digital Turbo Scanner? How to listen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

powderchaser

I am looking to monitor a small 4 frequency Turbo Digital system (Might be trunked) of a ski area and have the frequencies but no key codes. IF i were to purchase a Motorola Turbo radio and put the Freq's in it is it unlikely that I would be able to hear anything? Is there any way of idetifying the codes or a scanner that can pick this up?

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Without the Group Codes and Color Codes you won't hear a thing. Unfortunately there isn't an easy way to get this information either. There isn't a scanner currently on the market that will do anything with TRBO.

powderchaser

How long do you think before a scanner can do it? Will Uniden crack it?

Eventually you would think they would have to figure something out with the Turbo market inceasing.

N

N_Jay

Eventually you would think they would have to figure something out with the Turbo market inceasing.

Probably, but right now it is a drop in the bucket.

Trunking just started shipping this past summer.

Comint

Premium Subscriber
I think I recall someone posting that both TRBO and NXDN are open standards... can anyone confirm/deny?

MOTOTRBO (to give it its correct name) is based on the European 'Digital Mobile Radio' (DMR) Standard, which is an 'open' Standard.

Whether or not Motorola has added some proprietary embellishments, that limits its compatibility with DMR, is another matter.

DMR Association link.

--
Comint

Last edited:

RayAir

Gees, in a situation like that you would almost have to hope that a local communications company programmed the radios and try to talk to one of the tech's and offer to pay him to have him program up a radio so you can listen in (RX only). $200-$500 should be more than enough.

mikeps

Spinning the TRBO Color Code Wheel

Once you know the frequency of the repeater, there are 2 Time Slots and 16 color codes to determine. Assuming the system uses the ALL CALL talk group (default), then you only have 32 modes or channels to scan. That will require 2 zones only to scan. Program your radio for the 16 color codes on time slot 1 in one zone and TS2 in the next zone, then scan (be sure to create two scan lists, 3 most likely as scan lists hold only 15 talk groups as I recall).

I'd put an analog receiver on the frequency as your alert to repeater activity and then simply switch between the zones as your TRBO radio scans. You will not see any RSSI signal in the TRBO radio until you land on an active talk group. If the system is using custom talk groups, then you have millions of possibilities. Most small or simple systems tend to use ALL CALL so you might get lucky.

I am looking to monitor a small 4 frequency Turbo Digital system (Might be trunked) of a ski area and have the frequencies but no key codes. IF i were to purchase a Motorola Turbo radio and put the Freq's in it is it unlikely that I would be able to hear anything? Is there any way of idetifying the codes or a scanner that can pick this up?

Status
Not open for further replies.