• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola RDX Freq Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlindsay

Premium Subscriber
Hi!
I have several freq's at my work that I would like to program into my RDU4160D. However, the freq's are not listed in CPS. Can you manually enter freq's or how could I go about programming these freq's into my radio?
My freq's are:
If this radio can not be used with these freq's for whatever reason, what radio can?
We do use a repeater, but I do not know which freq's are for RX/TX. If the FCC freq license page helps, go here: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?cs=WPRH706
Ross

--Edit
Now that I look on the RR Callsign page, I found the Repeater freq's but I still don't know which is RX/TX. But both of the Repeater FB2 freq's are the same. Is that normal?
2 462.06250000 11K2F3E FB2 1 0 45.000
2 462.06250000 20K0F3E FB2 1 0 45.000

Last edited:

rlindsay

Premium Subscriber
Yeah! That's half of the puzzle solved. Now how would I go about programming that into the radio?

RepomanGP

Premium Subscriber
Ross,

The free consumer version of the CPS does not allow custom frequencies to be programmed into those radios. As you know, with the consumer version of the CPS you can only choose from a limited list of preprogrammed frequencies. However, there is a dealer version that DOES allow custom frequencies to be programmed into that radio and yes, they can be programmed to work on a repeater.

Per the owner's manual for that radio, it says:

"PROGRAMMING CUSTOMIZED FREQUENCIES ON 4W/5W RDX MODELS
Certain 4W/5W Models can be programmed to have customized frequencies (different from the
ones shown in the VHF and UHF charts in previous pages). VHF range is 146 -174 MHz and UHF
438 - 470 MHz.
Certain 4W/5W models can also be programmed to work with repeaters.
Please contact your Motorola point of purchase for details."

Sure, it may cost you a few bucks to have them programmed by the dealer for your repeater but it's bound to be cheaper than having to purchase new radios.

Squelchtone

Hi,
I hate to wake up an old thread as I also run a forum and know how annoying necromancing can be, but this is one of the few threads talking about programming an RDU4160d and I have a related question.

A friend has had a RDU4160d UHF for about a year now and bought it on ebay from someone who had the dealer version of CPS and they put in my friends UHF freq manually, as it was not one of the default ones in the consumer CPS freq drop down box.

My friend just got another RDX RDU4160d UHF radio and forgot the programming was done by the last ebay seller, so he handed it to me new out of the box and I found out that FPP and CPS methods do not let you type in your own freq. so that led me to finding this post.

My question is: if I buy the usb to usb cloning cable that goes from charger base to charger base, would that take the custom freq set to freq 3 in his older radio and clone it to the new radio overwriting the freq currently in freq 3's memory position, or is it just going to clone the info that he is using freq 3 and DPL 85/351 ? his CHAN 1 also has a custom channel name, which I also hope clones over. The cable on ebay is $20 and if this method doesn't clone the custom frequency to the new radio, the cable is not useful for anything else other than these radios. All my other Motorola radios use XTS cables, dont want to throw money away, so hoping someone knows for sure.

Thanks,
Squelchtone

Squelchtone

following up and hope this helps someone in the future.

I found an "RDX cloning cable" on ebay for $12.97 and it worked like a charm!

It cloned the alpha tagging info, channel and PL tone settings as well as the custom frequency the original radio had programmed in. Took less than 10 seconds to clone using the cable and the 2 charger bases wired together.

cable included a cloning instruction booklet and looks like a real Motorola part RLN6303A

Squelchtone

laythrom

Premium Subscriber
Ross,

The free consumer version of the CPS does not allow custom frequencies to be programmed into those radios. As you know, with the consumer version of the CPS you can only choose from a limited list of preprogrammed frequencies. However, there is a dealer version that DOES allow custom frequencies to be programmed into that radio and yes, they can be programmed to work on a repeater.

Per the owner's manual for that radio, it says:

"PROGRAMMING CUSTOMIZED FREQUENCIES ON 4W/5W RDX MODELS
Certain 4W/5W Models can be programmed to have customized frequencies (different from the
ones shown in the VHF and UHF charts in previous pages). VHF range is 146 -174 MHz and UHF
438 - 470 MHz.
Certain 4W/5W models can also be programmed to work with repeaters.
Please contact your Motorola point of purchase for details."

Sure, it may cost you a few bucks to have them programmed by the dealer for your repeater but it's bound to be cheaper than having to purchase new radios.

I've also found out that if you call Motorola, they can and usually will create a software packet to input into the CPS if you have proof of use for the frequencies in question. I called in the past for custom freqs on our RDX before going MOTOTRBO and they were quite pleasant to deal with.

Status
Not open for further replies.