• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Codeplug question

Status
Not open for further replies.

nycap

If the codeplug has a password what can you do? I dont care about saving the codeplug. I just dont want to screw this thing up. Thanks in advance.

gary123

if the codeplug is PW and your trying to read it with the CPS you will need the PW.

If you created the codeplug simply save it without a PW. If you want to save the codeplug with a PW select "save as" and rename the code plug with PWxxxxxx as the last part of the codeplug.

nycap

well i bought the radio and i just want to put a new code plug in. i dont care whatsoever about the previous programming of the radio. in the cps under device it has a recover option. will this just put a blank one in or what?

davidgcet

Premium Subscriber
yep, there are default programming templates in the "sample" directory.

nycap

the sample folder has a template with my same model # but it is a uhf template and my radio is vhf. So is this an issue?

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
the sample folder has a template with my same model # but it is a uhf template and my radio is vhf. So is this an issue?
The model number for a uhf radio is different from the model number of a vhf radio.

It might be helpful for the rest of us if you would tell us the full model number of your radio. That way one of us could actually look up correct info for you.

nycap

Yes that would help wouldnt it.

Radio: XPR 6550
model #: AAH55JDH9LA1AN
firmwar v: R01.07.02
CP ver: 08.00.05

Any advice is much appreciated.

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
You can get the password by using Winhex, which is a hex editor. What you do is open Winhex and then open the CPS. When the CPS ques you to enter a password, you run "Open RAM" and then search for the password.

More info can be found on Batlabs.

It's easy to find if you create a new codeplug with a known password and then use the above method to find it. Once you find it, just make note of and use that search string that is near the known password to find the unknown passwords.

I'm sure there are other ways, but this has proven to be a very reliable way of recovering passwords on radios that I have purchased in the past.

gary123

no the file is not encrypted. If your using the winhex method then the file will already be opened and sitting in "memory". Its when you are looking at a saved archive (not opened or running in software) that the info is packed (not encrypted although the end result is the same for most users).

The unit is a MotoTRBO.

nycap

ok i get that. so when i run the open ram this is going to allow me to see whats in the ram at that moment. where do i run this "open ram" command?

Thanks soo much!

nycap

i dont know man; i opened the cpsservicess.dll file in ram when the pw prompt came up. in the right side pane of winhex i see what looks like assembly language? and there is ALOT of it! and the only strings i can find dont make much sense. :-/ ill keep looking.

i created a sample codeplug with codeplug pw called PAINIMA. and im bringing the pw promt up and loading into win hex and opening the ram. does anyone know what .dll file the PAINIMA string will be in? and will the search function (binocular icon) work to find it?

Last edited:

nycap

I can fing the PAINIMA pw easily in the codeplug i stored my self on the but still havnt been able to get the pw out of the radios codeplug. the memory location changes each time the files are loaded.

anyone know of an easy way to find it? i mean there is alot of code here to look at.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Don't be concerned with the memory location, just look at the text that follows your password. Use that text as your search and then the unknown password will be right in front of it.

You probably already know this, but Alt+F9 will run the Open RAM command, then you'll scroll down to the last thing in the list, which will be Patport or something along those lines. Then open the Physical Memory and search in there.

For the Astro 25 CPS, the search string would be \Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion in the Patport Primary Memory. I'm unsure of your CPS type, but it will be similar.

This is the easiest way to find out or recover lost or unknown passwords on these radios.

nycap

RC_CPPASSWORD is the variable i think. In the codeplug i craeted in the cps i can see quite clearly where RC_PASSWORD IS assinged the user defined password. But when i get the codeplug password promt from trying to read the radio and run winhex and search the ram for the RC_PASSWORD i find it where its being named and then a number of other places where it looks it is beeing converted back and forth from byte to text to bool. i can can never find the accutally password. i cant find the <RC_CPPASSWORD Applicable=&#8221;Enabled&#8221; ListID=&#8221;0&#8221;>. and the place where the password is in my sample codeplug, >PAINIMA<, this exact place i cannot find. and the only places where it looks like it may be passing a the RC_CPPASSWORD variable or operating on one the spot is blank with iether 8 or 10 blank spaces! i suck at C++ so obviuously assembly language is going to be a PAINIMA!

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Don't search in the default Open RAM option. You have to scroll down to the CPS program, which will be called Patport. Once in Patport, open the Physical Memory. That is where you'll have to search. Look for your own password first, so you'll know where to find the unknown one.

You will find other instances of your password, because it is still in memory from where you typed it in (in other areas of the Open RAM memory), but you'll only find one instance of the unknown password and it will be in Patport.

nycap

yeah i dont have a patport. all i get is mototrbocps. in the mototrbocps there is no partport. i search the entire memory of the mototrbocps at the times the cps is promting for the code plug password. when the promt is up on the codeplug i made i do the search and find it right away, and thats by searching for strings near the password, not searchign for the password. to easy. Now, when i search the memory for the code plug password when promted for the code plug password on the radio this tactic dose not work. i search for common strings near the password i created in my codeplug and the main variable and ofcourse RC_CPPASSWORD. I can find that variable but I cant find the password or the same place where RC_CPPASSWORD is "Enabled" and assigned the uswer defined value between the ><.

Last edited:

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Okay. Patport is just the name for the Astro 25 CPS, so yours will be different. So, exit the cps and start Winhex. Now start CPS and open your codeplug. When the CPS asks for your password, use Open RAM in Winhex and go all the way to the bottom, as that will be the last program that you opened (CPS) and click on the "+" on that program. Next, single-click "Primary Memory", (NOT "Entire Memory") and press OK.

Now, use the search feature and search for your password. You will only see it once. At this point, look at the phrase that follows it. Mine for Astro 25 CPS is \Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion, but again, yours may be different. Once you have that data, close that codeplug and open the unknown one and repeat the steps above. On Astro 25 CPS, I have to hit the F3 key 5 times before it finds the password.

nycap

i did what you said 3 times. where i made the password i made in my codeplug it looks like this: <RC_PASSWORD Applicable="Enabled" List ID="0">PAINIMA</RC_CCPASSWORD>
then it goes into some release times thing. I find this 4 times.

when i look for this when try to open the radio none of this is there.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
I'm not sure what the <RC_PASSWORD Applicable="Enabled" List ID="0">PAINIMA</RC_CCPASSWORD> is all about???

Do you have your password in CPS set to prompt for the password upon accessing the codeplug? If you don't, then you need to. You need to make your passworded codeplug behaves exactly like the unknown password codeplug.

I'm at the end of my rope man. I wish I could help, but I've given you all I have.

Status
Not open for further replies.