• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL 2500 Programming Cable Error

Status
Not open for further replies.

ejboness

When attempting to read my XTL 2500 I get the message "Error Context: 24, Status: 80004005" I've gone in on the software and selected "USB" for the connection but still get the error.

gary123

the xtls use a ribless cable if your using a rib box then you need the correct cable.

the error posted is the one you see when the radio is 'polled' to see if it is there prior to reading or writing

askdaniel1

What type computer are you using? I had the same problem with two different model HP netbooks, on both WinXP and Win7 32 bit.

Gave up on it finally and went to using a one of several different full size laptops. same drivers, same CPS version, same cable.

askdaniel1

Is this a REAL Motorola USB OEM XTL cable or some USB adapter with an Ebay special?

I don't know about the OP, but mine was a motorola OEM cable. I actually spent about half an hour twice on the phone with Motorola tech support with no solution. Eventually after I and a few support folks were frustrated, I wrote it off as a lost cause and used another laptop.

It was very odd though, two different HP minis, both tried with 32 bit Windows XP and 32 bit Windows 7-- no luck.

gary123

windows 7 is really picky. Many have posted issues connecting and talking to current radios using windows7 We use windows 7 with no issues here BUT we have windows 7 ultimate and that seems to be important (probable some drivers and other support features in the OS)

I miss DOS everything worked and it didnt need a CD full of data to do the programming.

timkilbride

Database Admin
I have a OEM USB and keep getting the same error. I am using a WinXP laptop. The cable keeps installing as a modem, which is probably my problem. Any Ideas?

Tim

timkilbride

Database Admin
I guess its suppose to install as a modem. All is working now. I think I was selecting the wrong driver to install.

Tim K.

Eaton90

Hi!
"Error Context: 24, Status: 80004005" .
I used to have the same error code since I started using the USB Motorola cable, WinXP... Don't know why it appears, but in my situation disconnecting the cable from the PC and switching the radio off and then on again always does the trick.
Maybe you're willing to try a RS-232 cable? I had no issues with it

dasnps

Premium Subscriber
I have also been having issues with the radio. Mine is also the Motorola OEM cable, Toughbook CF-19 with Windows XP. Radio keeps installing as a Motorola XTL radio or the control head if I try that way. EIther way, error codes when I try to read or write the radio. I don't have another computer to try. Are there any drivers that should be installed for the cable to work?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
On my Toughbook with WinXP, after an upgrade of the Astro25 mobile software, the computer always finds a new device when the radio is first connected and asks me to install drivers.

I let it install the drivers automatically and it finds and installs xtl mobile radio drivers.

Never had a problem.

This is using the Motorola cables.

jim202

I have found that you need to do a clean boot on the computer before running the Astro 25 software.

Once you have a clean boot, start up the Astro 25 software, plug the interface cable into the computer and then into the radio. Wait until you hear the double beep to say the computer recognizes the radio and then go forward using the software.

Has worked for me each time I use the software.

RodStrong

I had a problem reading a radio last week. Although you could hear the connection tones, I would get an instant connection error when trying to read. Swapped cables, usb, serial, borrowed cables, etc. Tried all kinds of tricks. Got the blue screen of death several times. I grabbed another radio out of the batch I was trying to read, and found the same problem. Things were not looking good.

Turned out the radio for whatever reason did not like a system key (from an unrelated system) that was loaded. I killed the key and opened the software and it worked like a charm. Just FYI if that is of interest to anyone. I have never had that happen before.

dasnps

Premium Subscriber
I have tried resetting everything and trying over. The software installation is not coming up anymore, but the radio is not programming either. It is a genuine Motorola OEM cable. I keep getting error codes that say the radio cannot be programmed with codes of either 385 or 344. The 344 code usually comes up when I try USB (it is the USB cable). It will pop up instantly. The 385 code comes up if I try a different port, but usually after a minute. I am pretty sure that I should be using the USB port, since it is a USB cable, but how do I get this error message to go away and the radio to work?

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Is this a remote mount unit?

Are you trying the gcai port or the accessory port on the back of the radio?

If you've purchased the CPS legally, you should be able to get Motorola's help. Have you tried contacting them?

dasnps

Premium Subscriber
It is a high-power remote mount unit and I have tried both the control head and the radio itself. I have not tried contacting Motorola, since I live in a very rural area now with no cell service and no landline. I am typing this from work now, but cannot call from here. It could be quite a while before I can call them.

dasnps

Premium Subscriber
Would I have more luck with the serial version of the cable. That is what I have for my XTS and have no issues with it at all? So, would it be worth swapping cables for the XTL?

rsisley

Same here

I'm trying to update the programming on an XTL5000 with an OEM USB cable. I've used the same cable, comptuer and CPS software version to program the same radio and it worked fine. I get the same message whe I try to read or write.

gcr33

Although this thread is old, here is my issue. WIN7 32bit mode
CPS 17.00.01 I am not given the option of USB on the portable version despite uninstalling/reinstalling rebooting in between. The driver says it's installed but no luck. HP mini laptop.
Real Motorola cable for those that have to ask.

I can put a usb to serial adapter in and it gives me a com port.
Neither USB allows the USB option despite a modem being created using an XTS2500 or 5000

When setting up the mobile version the USB option shows up and works.

Anything in the registry that needs to be tweaked? I only have the USB cable so don't say use the serial cable.

BTW it's a dual boot machine and on the xp side all works normally.
I have experience in programming.

viet5d

I'm trying to update the programming on an XTL5000 with an OEM USB cable. I've used the same cable, comptuer and CPS software version to program the same radio and it worked fine. I get the same message whe I try to read or write.

Sometime, unnstall/reinstall the software maybe help you save time.

Status
Not open for further replies.