• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS2500 Battery Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

FHEMSMD

Hello,
I currently have a MTS2000 that I use as my personal radio for our Trunked Public Safety network. I generally have the portable off but occaisionally, on for an hour here and there. The MTS suprises me every once and a while when it gives no sign of being low then when I want to transmit it is too low.
I am getting an XTS2500 to be used the same way. I would like to just put it in the charger every night and not worry about charging one battery and then the radio and carrying both. I don't think I am up for a $130 Impres Battery, so my questions (finally, sorry) are:
1.Nicd, Lithium, or Metal battery
2. What miliamps?

Thanks
Evan

trlrdrdave

How often do you charge it? Every night or just when it runs down? If you are using a nicad now and charge it every night, that might be your problem. I would go nickle-metal and the high end on maH.

cmdrwill

For that kind of operation use a SLOW charger. NMh batteries do better in this kind of service.
Slow charge the battery about the same length of time you use the radio to listen.

Do Not leave your battery in the charger, it will get overcharged even in a slow charger and will not be able to work correctly.

No indication of a low battery from your radio. Option, Low Battery Alert, not programmed in radio.

FHEMSMD

Thank you for the answers. What I currently do is carry the radio and hope it doesn't suprise me with a battery that is too low to transmit while charging the other battery. At night (most) I switch and charge the one I have carried for the day or so depending on how much I have used it.
Ok, so here is the scary question, if I had an Impres charger and battery, could I just plop in the charger each night?

trlrdrdave

Yes you could. But I would still leave it on all day. It is just not good to charge the battery that long and not run it down no matter what the chemistry. Impres would help but i really don't see it as necessary. I carry a vhf and uhf every day and they never get turned off. One of my batterys is 08 other is 07.

FHEMSMD

Thank you all. Where would you suggest I look for $71 Impres Batteries?

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
dont jack around with aftermarket or non-impres batteries. i have been carrying the same impres battery on my xts5000 portable for 4+ years now. it only holds about 65% charge but i can still use it for 24 hours. go ahead and spend the money on a good impres battery and an impres charger, it will save you money down the road. its kinda one of those deals pay for it now or pay for it later. if you chose not to go with the impres system you will just have to buy more batteries down the road because you wont get as much service life out of them.

hdralleiii

Feed Provider
As others have said, Impres is the way to go. The charger will condition the battery as needed and the overall usable life is fantastic. My non-impress batteries on other portables pale in comparison to the impres batts on my 2500. I have purchased from WisCom and they are a good source.

RodStrong

go ahead and spend the money on a good impres battery and an impres charger, it will save you money down the road. its kinda one of those deals pay for it now or pay for it later. if you chose not to go with the impres system you will just have to buy more batteries down the road because you wont get as much service life out of them.

I can buy 4 knockoffs for the price of one impres that in the long run will last significantly longer. Not trying to rain on your parade by any means, but if you know what you are looking for, and know how to take care of a battery, there is no need for a fancy battery with a fuel gauge on it and a hundred dollar+ charger to boot.

If you can afford it, than by all means, buy the most expensive stuff out there. But what should be clear is although impres might be a want, it's not a need. Good luck.

Metro12

I can buy 4 knockoffs for the price of one impres that in the long run will last significantly longer. Not trying to rain on your parade by any means, but if you know what you are looking for, and know how to take care of a battery, there is no need for a fancy battery with a fuel gauge on it and a hundred dollar+ charger to boot.

If you can afford it, than by all means, buy the most expensive stuff out there. But what should be clear is although impres might be a want, it's not a need. Good luck.

I disagree. As other have said, the Impres battery systems are worth it. I know my battery is good, every time I turn it on. You won't have that assurance with anything else other then the Impres battery line. I can't take the chance, or deal with the frustration, of a dead battery 1hr, or 7hrs into a shift!

fdscan

I have two MTS's that I use for personal use and some personal work, and they all have aftermarket stuff. Never had any issues, but then again I do charge pretty often.

For your application IMRPES is probably your best bet.

SCPD

QRT
Go with Impress batteries and chargers. Sure they are a bit more expensive but are worth it. I use nothing but Impress for my XTS2500's and never had a battery failure. It's pretty neat the charger detects when it's time for a conditioning session.

Status
Not open for further replies.