• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Radius M1225 Programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

LMAAS146

I have a M1225 UHF I am trying to program... it is the 20 channel model. I have several channels that we use the "talk-around" function. I was trying to optimize the use of this radio and have just one freq and use the talk-around option button rather than having a RPT channel and a talk around channel. When I try to turn on the option button for the talk around, I get an error that says I don't have enough memory. Several of the channels are already simplex. Do I need to "count a channel" for each RPT'd channel that will be effected by this "Option" button?

2009KVFD976

Im having the same issue with mine.. Sorry i cant b of much help on this. I have all 24 channels pgmd and there are a few that r simplex and it wont let me use the button for repeater/talkaround. I got the same msg. Once again, sorry i cant b more helpful...

firefive76

I believe that if you fill all of the channels on a M1225, especially when labeling the channels with alpha, there isn't enough room in the memory for the talkaround button to be used. Apparently the talkaround button uses a lot of the radio's memory.

petnrdx

I have been using 20 ch and Alpha labels on my VHF M1225 for years. Since all but three or four are repeaters, I use the T/A button, and it works just fine.
So, I think it must be something other than that.
I have the buttons configured as T/A, High/low, and DIM.
And I use scan.
Are you using any signalling ( like QC II ).
Since at least two people have run into the memory problem, I would be curious to know why so I don't ever run into that problem.
I think nearly all of my channels TX analog PL tones, and only a couple use RX PL tones.
Maybe filling all the PL tones or using DPL uses up more memory.

firefive76

Copied off of batlabs:

Channel Expansion

There is a selection in the RSS to make the radio 24 channels. If you select this option, as long as you don't use the alphanumeric portion on every channel (or it will run out of memory) you can get 24 channels in.

However, we have been told that one of the greatest memory hogs is the Talk-Around button option. If you delete this option, you should be able to alpha-tag all the channels.

petnrdx

Like I said, I have all 20 channels with alpha names and talkaround.
So it must be something else.

firefive76

He is talking about 24 channels. It is possible to squeeze in 24 channels if you DO NOT use the repeater/talkaround option. If you DO use the option button, you are limited to about 20 channels normally. Also, there is no dim option on a M1225, just a green/red color toggle.

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Everyone is right, it is a memory thing. From what I can tell, it's easy to fill up the memory on a M1225 with programming and reprogramming.

Try this. Clear out the memory completely. Delete all the channels and the alpha tags. Start fresh. Add each channel as you want it but without alpha tags. Only use Rx PL when absolutely necessary. Only program other features if essential. You should be able to get your half duplex channels with talk-around programmed correctly.

With the channels all programmed, you should be able to go back and add alpha tags. Keep them as short and simple as you can because every character uses more memory, even spaces. For example, instead of Fire Channel 1, just program FIRE1 and so on.

rareed63

Programming Motorola M1225 UHF 20 Ch

I just purchased one off e-bay was curious as to how hard they are to program where can I get software any cables I need or can you program on the fly? any advice will be appreciated.

2009KVFD976

Fairly simple to program. . Software has to be purchased through (/\/\) which is expensive. Cables can be bought on eBay for around $20+. Or you can locate a Motorola dealer and have it pgmd to your specific frequencies. .. good luck on it!! I had the vhf and still have the uhf models. I also had the software for them but my laptop that ran winXP crashed and there went alot of my Pgm software and the new laptop has win 8.1 which will not run the 1225 or 1250 software that I have tried..

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I just purchased one off e-bay was curious as to how hard they are to program where can I get software any cables I need or can you program on the fly? any advice will be appreciated.
As already mentioned, the programming software is proprietary to /\/\, but NLA through their online sales outlet. It's kind of a quandry.

If you just have the one radio, and you are only going to have it programmed once or twice while it is yours, you may find it easier to just have a radio shop do the work. Typical programming costs for conventional analog units is about $30 to $50.

If there is a ham radio club near you, they may be able to help you for free or minimal charge.

If you do decide to acquire the software and cables, study the existing threads here and on the batboard about programming this radio and other /\/\ legacy radios. There's lots of good info for the reading, and you should learn some of the do's and don'ts of programming. Rule #1 is when you first read a radio: save a copy of the codeplug to your hard drive or a memory card. That way, if you make a mistake that you can not correct, it is usually possible to blow a known good codeplug back into the radio. Read, save, program to your heart's delight, save the new codeplug under a different file name (do not overwrite the original!) and then, and only then should you write back to the radio.

rareed63

I'm wondering what to put in my M1225 its gonna be used for GMRS only can you default to talk around or should I Load all simplex and repeater pairs on seperate channels? can you program the radio for 5 watt output on the interstitial channels or just leave em out all together? any help here would be appreciated.

cabletech

As already mentioned, the programming software is proprietary to /\/\, but NLA through their online sales outlet. It's kind of a quandry.

If you have a Moto account, the software is still listed for down load under resource center>software>two-way>discontinued products.

Both conventional and for the LS model

Also programming talk around buttons use's a lot of memory and not worth the effort.

If you have a repeater system and you need talk around, it is easier to just program a simplex channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.