• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

FDNY Volume Knob for XTS-5000 Portable

Status
Not open for further replies.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
I might need to rescind my previous comment, after W8RMH's question. I did a quick Google search, and it appears that there is a different knob, which is called the FDNY knob. It is much taller, and has a flared-out portion near the top. (It looks like it would be much easier to operate the power/volume control, while wearing gloves, or with the radio in the radio pocket most turnout gear has.)

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Ebay has them

A quick ebay search produced this.

But I now see this the regular knob if that will work for you. I have used this radio and never had any problem accessing the control knobs.

Last edited:

N4KVE

While some people have a true need for this knob, most only want the FDNY knob because it is different, or "special". GARY N4KVE

FiremanSparky

I might need to rescind my previous comment, after W8RMH's question. I did a quick Google search, and it appears that there is a different knob, which is called the FDNY knob. It is much taller, and has a flared-out portion near the top. (It looks like it would be much easier to operate the power/volume control, while wearing gloves, or with the radio in the radio pocket most turnout gear has.)

That is exactly why I am looking for one. It is far more easier to operate when wearing thick gloves and the radio is in your pocket.

Frank

lafd55

I would just keep calling different /\/\ Dealers because it wasn't just an FDNY thing.... Hell, most of the time the knobs would fall off and the smaller knob would be used, so it shouldn't really matter...

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
the ebay auction is not it This knob is taller and has raised ridges. I have one on my VHF XTS5000 Model III. It is much easier to feel with gloves on . Its not just a looks cooler thing.

Attachments

• 0508120901a.jpg
    0508120901a.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 3,890

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
I have one on my 5k as well. I find that if the radio is under a jacket (or a shirt), it is MUCH easier to adjust the volume. You can sort of just slide your finger across the knob and the jacket/shirt will "bite" and adjust the volume. With a regular knob, adjusting under a shirt/jacket is darn near impossible.

MOTOROLANUT

I would just keep calling different /\/\ Dealers because it wasn't just an FDNY thing.... Hell, most of the time the knobs would fall off and the smaller knob would be used, so it shouldn't really matter...

That I would like to see, every Dilbert knob I ever installed had went on so tight it seemed they would never come off...LOL

dixie729

Premium Subscriber
I would call the other MOTO dealers in the area and see if they have any. I got mine from eBay a while back.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk 2

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
THE only way a dealer may have it in stock is if they ordered a few extra and have them. Motorola no longer makes then or stocks them so asking them to order one is useless.

ipfd320

Banned
Hey SPARKY......Try This Place Out---They Might be Able to Steer You in the Right Direction

Motorola Original Parts and Accessories Manhattan Bedford Hills New York METROCOM

Manhattan: (212) 532-7400
.................................................................................................................
or Try This Site.....http://www.wiscomm.com/MotoCatalog/XTS5000.pdf

CONTACT INFO:
Craig Ochs
VP, Radio & Parts Sales

eMail:

craig@Wiscomm.com

Toll-Free - 866-579-1222 - Ext 1
9am - 3pm Central US Time
** Send us an email BEFORE trying to contact us via Phone. You will get much quicker answers via email.
Fax:
262-784-6176

Local/International - 262-649-1041

ipfd320

Banned
Krokus....Believe me i Did Alot of Searching for This Member....the Info i Left was The Only One Who has some Sort of Clue for Parts Needed......GOOGLE gives you the Run Around......and if You Noticed Most of the Sites MAIN Pages are the Same by Motorola Solutions

There is no Solution when Dealing with Them
If Your not Buying New they Don,t want to Know You

He Asked for Help so I Helped
Lets Not Keep Members Discouraged and Say its Discontinued Because A Site says So
There Seems to be Alot of that Going on Lately Around Here

Status
Not open for further replies.