The RadioReference.com Forums

The RadioReference.com Forums (https://forums.radioreference.com/)
-   Motorola Forum (https://forums.radioreference.com/motorola-forum/)
-   -   APX7000 Forced Narrowband? (https://forums.radioreference.com/motorola-forum/246520-apx7000-forced-narrowband.html)

Chauffeur6 08-13-2012 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blaze (Post 1801668)
Good question. I'm not actually sure what the FCC rule on the T-band waiver is. In scanning the waiver order, it's clear that T-band systems don't have to go narrow, but it isn't clear that the waiver applies to equipment sold after January 1. It would certainly be odd if systems were allowed to stay wideband but new equipment wasn't permitted, but I can't find any language in the waiver order about this. (Perhaps it's in there but I missed it; I just scanned the order).

It's in there, right in the first paragraph.

Quote:

I. INTRODUCTION
1. In this Order, we waive, on our own motion, the January 1, 2013 deadline for private land mobile radio (PLMR) licensees in the 470-512 MHz band to migrate to narrowband (12.5 kHz or narrower) technology.1 We also waive a related rule pertaining to manufacture and importation of PLMR equipment. We take this action in light of recent legislation directing the Commission to reallocate spectrum in the 470-512 MHz band.
Quote:

In addition, we waive the January 1, 2013 deadline which cuts off the manufacture or importation of equipment capable of operating with only one voice path per 25 kHz of spectrum in the 470-512 MHz band. We conclude that prohibiting the manufacture or import of equipment capable of operating in 25 kHz mode could effectively prevent existing 470-512 MHz band systems from replacing or adding radios during the waiver period, which would hamper interoperability between systems (or different parts of the same system) that are at different stages of the narrowbanding conversion.17 It would be contrary to the public interest to prevent licensees from keeping 25 kHz systems in full working

PJH 08-13-2012 11:13 PM

^What he said

T-Band is essentially going bye-bye anyways (pending the FCC changing its mind) so in the long term, its really a mute point.

As far as the radios themselves go, its only a couple of bits in the firmware and software to allow the change. Its not like you need to competley rewrite the software.

blaze 08-13-2012 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chauffeur6 (Post 1801673)
It's in there, right in the first paragraph.

Ah, you're right, there it is. I blame it on old age.

Chauffeur6 08-13-2012 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PJH (Post 1801678)
^What he said

T-Band is essentially going bye-bye anyways (pending the FCC changing its mind) so in the long term, its really a mute point.

It's hardly a *moot point to those that were facing millions of dollars worth of narrowbanding expenses. 10 years is not an insignificant amount of time, and for those agencies that choose not to narrowband their T-Band equipment, it's important that they can buy 25 kHz hardware for the next decade.

I understand the point you're trying to make, but you make it sound as if the T-Band waivers are trivial, and you come across as somewhat dismissive about it.

Anyway, back on topic. :wink:

TrunkLatcher 08-15-2012 11:57 PM

Info on Q53 Dongle?

@blaze: Thanks for the info on why they put that notice. That answers my question about that. However, I am still wondering if someone could give me the part number and price for the Q53 dongle and/or a picture. That would be a big help. I just want to know whether it is fat like a audio adapter or more slim. Thanks all for your insight.

blaze 08-16-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TrunkLatcher (Post 1802914)
@blaze: Thanks for the info on why they put that notice. That answers my question about that. However, I am still wondering if someone could give me the part number and price for the Q53 dongle and/or a picture. That would be a big help. I just want to know whether it is fat like a audio adapter or more slim. Thanks all for your insight.

NNTN7526A, list price $37.

It's fat like an audio adapter. (It seems to BE an audio connector, actually - exactly the same shape as on the speaker mic and the programming cable).

I'm sure they could make this slimmer if they wanted to, but I presume they just used the existing connector shell.

I'll post a photo when get home and to a camera.