• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola astro saber programming issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

CCEMS253

Hello. I have a Motorola Astro Saber model number: H04KDH9PW7AN
My issue is that i have had no problems programming it since i received it. however now when i try to read or write to the radio it will beep, show "1 csq" on the radio screen and Motorola cps says "communications with radio failed". does anyone know why this is.

cmdrwill

"communications with radio failed".Problem with the interface. RIB is the first thing to check.

Remember even the Motorola RIB does not match the RS232 standard, and this IS a failure point programming radios.

Some computers do not have the correct voltages on the serial bus either which contributes to the problem.

CCEMS253

"communications with radio failed".Problem with the interface. RIB is the first thing to check.

Remember even the Motorola RIB does not match the RS232 standard, and this IS a failure point programming radios.

Some computers do not have the correct voltages on the serial bus either which contributes to the problem.

i dont use a rib. its just the cable from the serial port to the radio. im very new at this. i dont understand a whole lot of the programming talk.

exkalibur

Premium Subscriber
What cable exactly are you using? A programming cable requires a RIB (Radio Interface Box). There are however aftermarket "RIBless" cables that plug right into the computer (basically they have a small RIB in the connector housing).

Best way to tell - the connector that you're plugging into the computer - is it 9pin or 25pin? The Motorola RIB uses a DB25 for the radio connection, so if you are using a cable with a DB25, odds are you require a RIB.

When the radio shows 1 CSQ, that is service mode. The radio will boot into that mode upon programming.

If you're using an aftermarket RIBless cable, that is more than likely the issue. Aside from that, re-seat all the connections and make sure the battery on the radio is 100% charged.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
That is your problem. You need a rib box unless you have a ribless cable. Is it DB9 or DB25 cable on the end of the cable?

CCEMS253

its a ribless. the cable is a 9pin that connects to the computer with a 9vlt plug in, with the saber connection on the other end. it just floors me that i programmed the radio fine and now that weve gone narrowband and need to change that setting im not able too. ive charged the radio, replaced the 9vlt bat. on the cable...

jhooten

Come on guys read. It worked before but now it doesn't. The question is what has changed since the last time it worked? Next since the radio does go into the test mode display some communication is going on between the radio and computer.

Is it one of the cables that has a 9 volt battery connector at the computer end of the cable? If so check the battery.

FFPM571

Premium Subscriber
Ribless cables from China are Junk. Ive had good luck with the China RIB and RIB cable. I even use one in my travel case for work. But every ribless one I have ever seen has been nothing but problems

mm

I had a similar problem but this only occured when the codeplug became large after adding a few additional scan channels to an existing scan list.

If your radio has a large codeplug with many zones and scan lists in it then this may work: if so then open up your original saved codeplug in CPS, and I hope you do have a saved codeplug for this radio otherwise this won't work.

With your master/original codeplug opened up in CPS rename it with a different name than the original and save this new codeplug, you want to do this so that you still have an original unmodified version.

Remove all the Zones except for One Zone and remove any other CPS items as needed to clear any CPS errors and then attempt to program the radio, if this works then you can start to work with this whittled down codeplug but simply build on it by adding in one or two additional zones one at a time and then program the radio each time and see if it hangs up.

Last edited:

CCEMS253

Come on guys read. It worked before but now it doesn't. The question is what has changed since the last time it worked? Next since the radio does go into the test mode display some communication is going on between the radio and computer.

Is it one of the cables that has a 9 volt battery connector at the computer end of the cable? If so check the battery.

Yes it is. ive even replaced the battery

Status
Not open for further replies.