• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM Ignition Sense Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

rdubeii

I'm bashing my head against a wall with a CDM1250 here. It's installed in a squad truck and was never connected to an ignition sense lead to allow it to turn on and off with the ignition. I purchased the correct accessory port plug and installed a wire with the correct pin into the slot for pin 10, and wired it back to an ignition switched power source. Yet, after all of this the radio will not turn on/off with the ignition, it works fine manually turning the unit on and off, but will not follow ignition. I have double, triple, and quadruple checked the ignition sense wiring connections, checked the pin placement, checked the power output at the plug for the accessory connector and get proper voltages at the proper times(ignition on and off). I read the radio, and it is programmed correctly for manual on/off & ignition sense. There are no bent pins, and the plug is firmly seated in the accessory port, there is also an external speaker wired to this plug and it works just fine. I'm going to toss another CDM in it's place tomorrow to see if there might be something wrong with the accessory plug on this unit. Anyone experienced this issue before or have any ideas?

TRNcommLLC

Feed Provider
Do you have it turned on in the programming (CPS)?

Radio Configuration --> Accessory Configuration --> "Ignition Sense Type"

If not then it will not work.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Do you have it turned on in the programming (CPS)?

Radio Configuration --> Accessory Configuration --> "Ignition Sense Type"

If not then it will not work.

That's one of the very first things I do with every radio that comes across my bench. Set it to "On/Off & Ignition" and forget it. There are way too many user problems with any other setting.

Even base radio setups using mobiles really benefit from the setting. The Motorola power supply for most of their radios has an extra + wire for just this purpose. When properly connected and programmed, the radio will come right back on if there is a power interruption when the power is restored.

scottyhetzel

I'm bashing my head against a wall with a CDM1250 here. It's installed in a squad truck and was never connected to an ignition sense lead to allow it to turn on and off with the ignition. I purchased the correct accessory port plug and installed a wire with the correct pin into the slot for pin 10, and wired it back to an ignition switched power source. Yet, after all of this the radio will not turn on/off with the ignition, it works fine manually turning the unit on and off, but will not follow ignition. I have double, triple, and quadruple checked the ignition sense wiring connections, checked the pin placement, checked the power output at the plug for the accessory connector and get proper voltages at the proper times(ignition on and off). I read the radio, and it is programmed correctly for manual on/off & ignition sense. There are no bent pins, and the plug is firmly seated in the accessory port, there is also an external speaker wired to this plug and it works just fine. I'm going to toss another CDM in it's place tomorrow to see if there might be something wrong with the accessory plug on this unit. Anyone experienced this issue before or have any ideas?

Maybe your reading not a true voltage...check it under load...test it with an old style test light.. Is it possible it's really a ground...in which case you will need a relay. Careful around srs airbags.

rdubeii

Yes, it is properly programmed in the codeplug (I mentioned that in my original post), and the voltage at the accessory plug is definitely "real voltage" not an induced or capacitively coupled voltage (my meter has a low impedance input mode that loads down the line and would show me if it was a "ghost" voltage). I'm not new to the two way radio field and have worked my way down my list of standard "idiot checks". I was hoping someone had seen this before, because if not I feel I likely have a problem with the accessory port on the CDM and will have to pull it from service to put in on the bench and open it up which I'm leaving as my last resort.

N1GTL

Database Admin
Ignition control blowing out on a CDM is not that uncommon. Whatever you do to test things, DO NOT program your radio for ignition only. You will then have no way to power the radio up without a trip to the depot.

SD70MAC

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.3.4; en-us; DROID BIONIC 4G Build/5.5.1_84_DBN-74) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

N1GTL said:
Ignition control blowing out on a CDM is not that uncommon. Whatever you do to test things, DO NOT program your radio for ignition only. You will then have no way to power the radio up without a trip to the depot.

I second the ignition only, that is a BIG no no... You can put a jumper on pins 7&9 and it should power it up,even with ignition only. I have had a CDM1550ls that would not power up on pins 7&9,but thats the only one .

Status
Not open for further replies.