• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

xts5000 RX sensitivity optimization

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrunkLatcher

Hello,
I have a question regarding whether the "squelch (fine tune)" option in the conventional personality windows of the CPS have any effect on digital P25 operation. I can't seem to find the answer in the help. I am actually running a UHF R1 into the R2 band for receive only operation. Although this is not an ideal method for sensitivity, I still am attempting to optimize it as best as possible.

Any other suggestions of improvement that don't require tuning/aligning are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

RKG

Squelch and sensitivity are two different issues.

Sensitivity of a receiver is its ability to detect valid wave form at a low received signal strength. Sensitivity of a receiver is pretty much fixed by its design and construction. (Sensitivity of a system is also affected by the gain of the antenna, quality of the feedline and connectors, and similar issues.)

Squelch is the level beneath which the radio (per the programmer's instruction) declines to open audio. Squelch has basically two functions in a contemporary FM radio: (a) to block audio amplification of the "white noise" than an analog FM product detector produces in the absence of an incoming RF signal and (b) to block audio on stations whose signal strength is so low as to be not useful (and which, therefore, tend to look close to the same annoying white noise).

So far as I am aware -- and it is not something I've studied closely -- digital audio gating is based on BER, not incoming signal strength. Whether adjustments to maximum permissible BER would be called "squelch" is, to me, an open question.

TrunkLatcher

I was a little unclear in my op. I understand the point you brought up about sensitivity vs. squelch. I am aware of the difference.

I actually meant to more clearly express that I wanted help not only on whether the Squelch Fine Tune has any affect on digital operation but also on any other enhancement suggestions that have to do with the separate matter of sensitivity as long as they don't involve the tuner (CPS tweaks only). Thanks for your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.