• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola Syntor X9000 programming

Status
Not open for further replies.

fullpwr5675

Premium Subscriber
Just got my hands on the ham version software and though it seems simple enough,I do not see an option or program included to program the control head.I have the original Moto syntor rss and it has radio and control head programming executables.I can't get them to load on my pc even in dos,I use "moslo" to slow the computer down and when I try to run either the moto head or radio programmer,I get the moto splash page then "run time error 200 at 10E9:04D5" and throws me back to dos prompt.I am using freedos instead of msdos (can't find my msdos software) but all my other moto rss works on it without a hitch

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
You don't need a HAM version to program the head, any version will work. Also you need a very old (think 286, 386 ) computer and true DOS (I use 6.0) for the programs to work properly. I use a 486 SX not DX and it's slow but works, because the software doesn't like math co-processors (DX).

mancow

Database Admin
I have an old Epson 486 / 33 and I still have to turn off the cache to get it to work with Syntor RSS. You really do need ancient hardware.

com501

The CACHE in the CPU is the key. The greyhound software was written for an IBM PC that didn't have CACHE on the chip. It's a clock cycle thing. My 486-100 Thinkpads work just fine with the CPU cache disabled. You can do it in BIOS or using the CACHE program.

Good luck with you X9000s.

Mogman

Com501?

Man I know this is an old thread but I have a 486/25 LTE I am trying to use to program a X9000 with, I have the RSS working fine on a 286 but it is real flaky, I get "protocall" and "bus fail" when I try to read the radio, I also can not find any reference to a CACHE program, any ideas would help

Mogman

Sorry, I was not real clear, the issues I am having with the 286 have nothing to do with programming, I am running DOS 6.22 on the 486/25, I have removed the smartdrv line from the autoexec.bat file so it does not run during boot up, I have not removed the 8meg of extra extended memory yet and have found that the default CACHE will only be 512K with it removed so that might help. There is nothing in the CMOS setup about CACHE or the co-processor but for the comment that the CP is integrated, I have no idea if an SX processor can be substituted for the DX
Thanks

P25Radio

Premium Subscriber
I have the same problem, just run it from the floppy. Depending what you want to program type in CHPROG or RDPROG it will run fine from the floppy. Also make sure the battery in the RIB box is good or hook it up to a good clean 9v source.

Mogman

Thanks, unfortunately the floppy on the 486/25 is very week due to a loose belt, takes several tries to get anything loaded, would not be a good candidate for a "working" drive.

com501

It has more to do with the mobo BIOS and the chipset than anything else. Motorola used to issue guidelines for compatible computers for programming.

X9000 software is driven by chip timing. You NEED to install the CACHECTRL program. Google is your friend. You can run CACHE=OFF which should disable any internal caching your CPU does which messes with the program's timing.

Mogman

com501 you are a genius, I found a program, with the commands ICD and ICE for internal cache disable and enable and the 486 is humming along nicely now, now to buy a new battery for the LTE (actually are available) and I am in business...

jim202

Those that may still be fighting this problem, there is a small program called "CACHEOFF.EXE" that a simple search on the internet will locate. Run it before you start the Syntor X9000 software files.

I use it on several of my computers used for the different older Motorola radio software. I generally use a computer with an 800 MHz. clock speed. So with the cache shut off, it works just fine with the above program run first.

Have a number of the Syntor X9000 radios in use on both low band and VHF. There are a number of tricks you can use to get the various control heads to function on these radios. Plus changing out the EEPROM will allow you to go from the normal 32 channels (modes) to up to 255 channels in the radio. Unless your real luck and manage to find one of the radios with the 128 channel firmware for the larger scan channels, your stuck with only a max of 64 channels in any combination of scan channels available.

If you haven't taken time and looked at the information in the repeater builder web site, you need to take a look there for the information on the Syntor X9000. They will also mention another site we all call the Mike B site. It has a wealth of information there that you really need to also look at. There is some manual information available between these 2 sites also.

Mogman

I have run into another issue with the X9000 Syntor, if I select a "mode" for user scan I can not delete it, I can make it yellow, red or flashing red but can not extinguish the scan "select light" during user programing...
Craig

jim202

I have run into another issue with the X9000 Syntor, if I select a "mode" for user scan I can not delete it, I can make it yellow, red or flashing red but can not extinguish the scan "select light" during user programing...
Craig

There are 2 types of scan that can be used on the Syntor X9000. One is operator select and the other is fixed scan. I don't like operator scan, as it goes away when you power down the radio. The next time you power the radio up, you have to set the operator scan again. So I use the fixed scan as it stays there. Power off the radio and then power it back up, the scan channels is still there.

I don't remember if I mentioned it before, but you can't change anything with fixed scan with the ham version of the software. I use the normal version of the software to set the scan. But you have to have normal, in band frequencies in all the modes before you can set the fixed scan.

If anyone needs more info on the scan, just say something.

Mogman

Thanks, not looking forward to removing the battery leads every time I want to change the operator scan (it only erases the operator scan when the power is removed from the large red lead), and it sounds like fixed scan will not work with ham frequencies..

jim202

Thanks, not looking forward to removing the battery leads every time I want to change the operator scan (it only erases the operator scan when the power is removed from the large red lead), and it sounds like fixed scan will not work with ham frequencies..

I did not say the fixed scan will not work with ham frequencies. I said the ham software doesn't allow you to change the scan lists. If you want to have fixed scan, you have to set the channels (modes) up ahead of time using in band channels. Then you use the ham software to set the frequencies to what you need them to be. It's a real pain in the rear, but it works.

So what I do is to make up an Excel spread sheet with all the channels I want in the ham band. This way you know what positions you want grouped and in what scan list. If you change out the EEPROM to a larger one like is in the Mike B web site, it will allow you to have up to 255 channels in the radio. Under normal conditions, only a total of 64 channels can be in the scan lists. If your lucky enough to have the modified firmware, there is a 128 channel scan ability.

The original Motorola software has an option to copy channels. So I program an in band channel and then copy it x number of times to get to the total channels I want for scanning and then some. This now gives you the needed channels in the radio to work with. Now you can go in and start setting up the scan lists as you want them. The scan list is on a per mode basis and doesn't give a hoot what the frequency is as long as it is in the normal band limits. This is where the Excel spread sheet keeps you on track of each channel (mode) as you set things up.

It has been a long time since I have done this scan lists, so can't remember if each list limits you to the 16 channel limit like most of the other Motorola radios or not.

The ham software will also allow you to make up a multi PL table list with 32 tones. It takes a little getting use to in doing it because the screen gets messy and it's hard to tell just where you are. But it does work. I have a number of radios set up with the multi PL operation using the 9000 series heads (w9).

You might run into a problem if you have a head that originally was set up for trunking or some other odd ball configuration. Generally it shows up as an error truing to write to the control head. A trick that can be used is to put the head on a Spectra and program it there. Then go back to the Syntor X9000 and program it on that radio. You will need a working Spectra with the W9 head on it. Read the Spectra radio. Shut the radio off. Then put the bad head on, turn the radio on and write back to it. Now take the head you thought was bad and you should be good to go put it on the Syntor X9000. Go through the process of reading a good head on the X9000 first. Shut it off and put on the head you just fixed on the Spectra. Write back to the head on the X9000 and you should be good to go. You might want to put a tag on the different heads so you don't get them confused. You will be playing with 3 different heads in this musical chair routine.

Mogman

Thanks for the information Jim,,I guess that explains why I get a run time error every time I try to program a mode in a scan list, Man this is a pain, I do need two scan lists for the radio in the XYLs truck so she can monitor law enforcement (no TX frequencies programmed of course) Big pastime for her seeing we live out in the sticks with not much else for entertainment. I did not realize I was running "ham" software, it is 6.00SP. Looks like the Syntor is not very friendly to periodic modification. I too have noticed how messed up the MPL programming is but can see if one pays close attention it can be done. It looks like the STD 6.00 will let me set up scan lists without programming frequencies into the modes, I have not tried to output it to the radio yet. of course the first thing I do after verifying a radio is operating correctly is do the firmware and EEPROM upgrade. I just picked up one of the WA state radios (High Band) with the AUX. receiver port, great radio after removing the RX splitter as it has a preamp and makes 0.2 uV. for 12 db sinad no problem.
Craig

com501

You use 'Select' to set a channel in the scan list, you use 'Delete' to remove a channel from the scan list. You use 'Recall' to view what is in the list.

Mogman

You use 'Select' to set a channel in the scan list, you use 'Delete' to remove a channel from the scan list. You use 'Recall' to view what is in the list.

Ahh not like the Maratrac, it is like one was designed on Mars and the other was designed on Venus, the reversed frequency entry still gets me every time...

com501

You have to remember, that each branch of the Motorola radio tree, Marlin, Greyhound, Jedi, Wookie, etc, all the way up to present apparently has little coordination between any central design committee when it comes to how the software functions. Witness the huge change from Astro25 to APX. It seems that we have taken a step back there, I NEVER thought I would have to create channels in three different places anymore, after the Astro line. At least the X9000s all functioned much the same way, and the RF team made up for any discrepancies in software limitations by building probably one of the finest RF decks of all time.

Mogman

I am having some issues programming scan lists, first is my std (6.00) program will only allow me to create a 64 channel 8K code plug, not that big of an issue, second is if I create an all NP list it just does not work, so before I beat myself you trying to make this work is it possible to create an all non priority scan list, I REALLY hate listening to the "break" in audio as the radio goes back and checks the priority channel. but as it is now I have to turn off scan to hear any programmed mode frequency, possibly because I copied mode 1 programmed as NP scan list 1 to all other 63 modes?

Status
Not open for further replies.