• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

GM300 not RX'ing/Filtering PL properly.. need help..

Status
Not open for further replies.

ywhic

I have a used GM300 radio for GMRS (I have license).. and the programmer set it for PL tones of 127.3 for 462.625, and 141.3 for the 462.550 channels..

However my other GP350 NON-PL setup radio is able to transmit clearly to the GM300.. it seems like the PL is not working on RX at all..

I can't test the TX PL side as I'd have to flip my (below noted KW 805D around)..

Testing the GP350 with non-PL against my working/good KW 805D with PL setting I get nothing but an indicator/busy picture but no audio thru it, till I take the SQ off then I get the audio.. which is proper..

What could he have missed (if anything) in programming?? He said something about maybe prior signalling settings (that he did not check)??

N1GJB

Not terribly familiar with that exact model, but a lot of the older Motorola mobiles are set to defeat the PL when they are off the mic clip. Your radio may be programmed this way. If you have no way of reprogramming yourself, try hooking it up to a grounded (metal) Mic clip and see if the problem goes away.

Last edited:

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Not terribly familiar with that exact model, but a lot of the older Motorola mobiles are set to defeat the PL when they are off the mic clip. Your radio may be programmed this way. If you have no way of reprogramming yourself, try hooking it up to a grounded (metal) Mic clip and see if the problem goes away.

That's pretty much correct, except the mic clip doesn't need to be grounded. However, the mic does need to be in the clip. The metal of the clip closes the circuit between the inner and outer sections of the mic hang up pin assembly and places the radio in an "on hook" condition. That enables Rx PL.

If working on the radio on the bench, either slide a spare mic clip onto the mic. I've been known to slip a small screwdriver blade in there if there's no mic clip nearby.

ywhic

I didn't think about the Mic issue till you folks mentioned it.. The BLabs mentioned the Monitor Yellow Light.. yup was lit up..

I tried the original Mic that came with it on a clip.. still failed.. then tried a new cheapy china Mic with the same Mic clip.. success.. thanks to ALL..

Saved me a huge headache..

Is there a way to make a 8 pin terminal jumper to just plug in the front to do the same?? and which connection #'s?? This is for my cheapy repeater project..

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I didn't think about the Mic issue till you folks mentioned it.. The BLabs mentioned the Monitor Yellow Light.. yup was lit up..

I tried the original Mic that came with it on a clip.. still failed.. then tried a new cheapy china Mic with the same Mic clip.. success.. thanks to ALL..

Saved me a huge headache..

Is there a way to make a 8 pin terminal jumper to just plug in the front to do the same?? and which connection #'s?? This is for my cheapy repeater project..

I have some jumpers all made up here if you want one, send me a PM.

ywhic

PM sent.. thank you..

And I am guessing the TX side of the transmitting radio is handled by the radio itself and not Mic on hook dependent.. (its an SM50)..

ramal121

Lots and lots of watts
Premium Subscriber
Is there a way to make a 8 pin terminal jumper to just plug in the front to do the same?? and which connection #'s?? This is for my cheapy repeater project..[/QUOTE}

If you can snag a jump plug, great. If not and you have a RJ-45 plug and a crimp tool, put a jumper loop between pins 3 and 4 (counting up from the bottom of the mic jack).

Transmit will always spit out PL regardless of mic hook.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
I use a small paper clip to ground the mic on my mobiles. Easy to bend around and out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.