• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Motorola XTS 5000R Handheld Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

cody89

Hello, I just picked up 3 used Motorola XTS 5000R handheld radios for 50$ each. I want to believe these are worth more then that and hope they are not stolen. Is there anyway to search the serial against warranty/purchaser information?

And what is the value of a used one?

Thanks!

jim202

Hello, I just picked up 3 used Motorola XTS 5000R handheld radios for 50$ each. I want to believe these are worth more then that and hope they are not stolen. Is there anyway to search the serial against warranty/purchaser information?

And what is the value of a used one?

Thanks!

Some searching on the internet and even on this site should answer most of your questions.

Bottom line of just what they are and can be used for will depend on what the model number is. That will tell you what the frequency band of operation is. Pull the battery off the radio and there should be a tag with the radio model number and serial number. If the tag is missing, I would start to wonder just what the source of the radios are. There is a very slight chance that the case was replaced due to damage and if that was the case the tag would be missing.

Trying to program them might be your major hurdle to get over. You will need the software, a RIB and the cable to interface between the radio and the RIB. The software can only be obtained directly from Motorola after going through their license process.

Motoflightmedic

Premium Subscriber
can you post a pic of the tags off of one of them? do they have a display and a DTMF keypad? as far as programming the xts5000 and xtl5000 radios do not use a rib, motorola started to not use the rib so that they can charge you 275 bucks for the factory programming cable.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Call Motorola (1-800-422-4210) and give them the serial numbers and ask who their owner of record is.

50 bucks each is ridiculously cheap. I'll double your money for them! LOL

If they work they are worth more than that. A good deal more.

If they're intact but don't work they're worth more than that for parts.

Got any friends with the local PD? If so, ask them to run the serial numbers.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Trying to program them might be your major hurdle to get over. You will need the software, a RIB and the cable to interface between the radio and the RIB. The software can only be obtained directly from Motorola after going through their license process.

No RIB needed for an XTS5K. The RIB is built into either the USB or Serial Programming cables. Original poster just needs to purchase a copy of CPS from Motorola and a programming cable.
I would be concerned about 5Ks that only cost $50 a pop. Seems to me
they would either be stolen or they have been inhibited or both and the
seller was wanting to get rid of them quick.
No way a decent non-stolen 5K in working condition goes for only $50.
Marshall KE4ZNR

AF5JQ

Feed Provider
I have a 5000, but I don't have the programming package for it. Motorola software is hard to get a hold of, since the company wants you to be a licensed dealer. I've been told that you can buy the software and the radio at the same time you can bypass all that, but I've never bought a brand new Motorola radio so I don't know that to be the case.

If you bought three of those for $50, then one of three things happened. 1st, the radios don't or won't work. 2nd, they were stolen. 3rd, you just got one heck of a bargain. Seriously, it's rare to even find a battery for an XTS5000 that cheap.

cody89

The radios come on and work just fine. Here is a picture of one of them. I won't be be using these I will be selling. Is there anyway to just get them to work with each other so I can show the buyer they work?

http://i.imgur.com/8wxycYq.jpg

Here is a picture of the serial sticker.

AF5JQ

Feed Provider
Going by the model number, it's a UHF (380-470 MHz). If you can find a way to program them, you could try putting one of the GMRS frequencies in it to test. I'd recommend setting the transmit power to its lowest setting, which I believe is 1 watt.

cody89

I really don't have any clue how to do that. I am just going to sell them as is.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Here is the flashcode decoded:

Q806/G806 IMBE / APCO-25 Digital Operation
H14/G114 Digital ID Display
H868/W298 Conventional Multikey and Analog Conventional MDC OTAR
Future System Package
H38/G51 Smartzone Operation
W947/Q947 APCO Packet Data
Q173/G173 Smartzone OmniLink Operation
Q361/G361 Digital APCO-25 IMBE Trunking (9600kb Control)
1B2 Future System Enhancement

Marshall KE4ZNR

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Motorola software is hard to get a hold of, since the company wants you to be a licensed dealer. I've been told that you can buy the software and the radio at the same time you can bypass all that, but I've never bought a brand new Motorola radio so I don't know that to be the case.
I don't know where you got that information, but it's not correct at all.

There are plenty of folks here on RR and over on the bat board that have set up MOL accounts for themselves and purchased lots of software and accessories and parts. They've done it under their own names and not as any kind of dealer whatsoever. I set up my account under the name of the community where I live because I manage the radio inventories for several departments. The worst of it was confirming sales tax exempt status. The rest was easy.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
The genesis database is so little of use. I would say that only a very small fraction of radios that turn up missing / stolen are even listed in there.

KevinC

Big Dog...celebrating 10 years of abuse!
Super Moderator
Will that help me with selling it?

Cody89,
I deleted your other posts concerning selling these. Selling is only allowed in the Classified section.

The genesis database is so little of use. I would say that only a very small fraction of radios that turn up missing / stolen are even listed in there.
Well... it's like anything else. It's only as good as what people put (or don't put) into it. Phil doesn't have to do it, but the fact that he puts this database out there makes it a good place to at least start. I mean, a "hit" is a hit, regardless.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Do exactly what Elroy suggested and call Motorola. They can tell who they were originally sold to and could possibly yield more useful information. Those are Model II radios and were probably several thousand dollars when new!

cody89

Thanks. I will give Motorola a call and see what they can tell me. Hopefully its legit and not stolen.

cody89

Can anyone tell me what this radio would be worth sold as is? Working with just a battery. I don't want to undersell it.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.