• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Adding 2nd freq. to Minitor V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

I have searched this topic and found a few threads on it, but I just want to be 100% sure before I get into it. We have a guy with our department and he also volunteers at the dept. in the town where he works. He travels back and forth during the day between the two districts and does not want to carry two pagers. His other department gave him a Minitor V with SV and it only has one frequency in it along with that department's tones along with their central department's tone. I have the Minitor V programming software that I downloaded off of the Moto website along with the programming cradle. My question is does the software have to be in engineer mode to add a second frequency? Thanks for answering my questions during the past week.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I have searched this topic and found a few threads on it, but I just want to be 100% sure before I get into it. We have a guy with our department and he also volunteers at the dept. in the town where he works. He travels back and forth during the day between the two districts and does not want to carry two pagers. His other department gave him a Minitor V with SV and it only has one frequency in it along with that department's tones along with their central department's tone. I have the Minitor V programming software that I downloaded off of the Moto website along with the programming cradle. My question is does the software have to be in engineer mode to add a second frequency? Thanks for answering my questions during the past week.

It depends on the exact model of the pager. He may already be carrying a two channel pager. The only way to be sure is to have the model number. Since you have the PPS and cradle, just read the radio. The general info tab will tell you what you need to know.

If it is a one channel model, you will need engineer mode to convert it. That's not for the inexperienced to do the first time.

Cow

It depends on the exact model of the pager. He may already be carrying a two channel pager. The only way to be sure is to have the model number. Since you have the PPS and cradle, just read the radio. The general info tab will tell you what you need to know.

If it is a one channel model, you will need engineer mode to convert it. That's not for the inexperienced to do the first time.

I didn't think about that, but the guy who works for Motorola told him that it could not be done...that's when I told our guy that when I get the programming stuff that I could do it, then I remembered that you had to go in engineer mode to do it and I don't know the password... I tried the hack, but I don't know if works because I haven't got my programming stuff yet. I doubt anyone is going to give out the password though...

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Well, you've got to get the software working before you worry about the programming cradle. Either the hex edit of the PPS worked and you can get into Engineering Mode, or you can't. The programming cradle has no bearing on that.

Cow

Well, you've got to get the software working before you worry about the programming cradle. Either the hex edit of the PPS worked and you can get into Engineering Mode, or you can't. The programming cradle has no bearing on that.

I thought that I had to read the codeplug first before I could find out anything...?

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I didn't think about that, but the guy who works for Motorola told him that it could not be done...that's when I told our guy that when I get the programming stuff that I could do it, then I remembered that you had to go in engineer mode to do it and I don't know the password... I tried the hack, but I don't know if works because I haven't got my programming stuff yet. I doubt anyone is going to give out the password though...
The hack instructions include the password and some info about how to use engineering mode. If you don't have the password and/or the instructions, then whatever you have there is suspect.

Just wait for the pager and your cradle. Read it first and determine if you even need to go further.

com501

If it is indeed a single frequency pager, if it is sent in for service, it will come back as a single channel pager. This of course voids ANY warranty the pager may have, and if it is under service contract, jeopardizes the employee's employment if the employer were to find out that unauthorized changes were made to their property without permission.

Cow

If it is indeed a single frequency pager, if it is sent in for service, it will come back as a single channel pager. This of course voids ANY warranty the pager may have, and if it is under service contract, jeopardizes the employee's employment if the employer were to find out that unauthorized changes were made to their property without permission.

His chief said that it was okay to make the change, so we've got the green light.

HRN

Premium Subscriber
Two things...... First, you have to have a code plug opened before you can make the change from 1 channel to 2 channels. So you do have to wait until you get the programmer. Second, if you send it to the Depot for repair, it will come back with the original serial number and the correct model number. It does not void the warranty and they make the change. I have done this before and sent pagers back that fire companies have done and it has never been questioned or the warranty voided.

Status
Not open for further replies.