• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

New flashcode

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cow

I just obtained a XTL1500 and my original plan was to sell it to a friend in the FD, but after looking at the codeplug it does not have the "ASTRO system" settings in the tree view. Does this mean that it will need a new flash code to be able to do P25? Do I send it directly to MOTO or can my local MOTO tech do it? Thanks

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
About as analog as they come....

Decoding Flashcode: 008008-002410-5
Platform: XTL1500

G683: Trunked One Touch Status Message
G51: SmartZone Systems Operation
G241: Analog Only Operation
G173: SmartZone Omnilink MultiZone Operation
G789: 3600 Baud Trunking (Analog/Digital Voice)

Cow

About as analog as they come....

Decoding Flashcode: 008008-002410-5

G241: Analog Only Operation

So can my MOTO tech put a new flashcode in it?

WA9TED

You may want to check out batlabs to get the skinny on flashing.

Motorola Flash Programming Primer

Typically, if your not the original owner of the radio (meaning you bought it new from a dealer) Motorola doesn't like to sell flash upgrades. If you are the original owner, your fine, just talk to your local dealer about the upgrade. (It will cost money tho)

On the ASTRO 25 series of radios, which is yours, I believe a firmware upgrade might do it. (I could be wrong) Some people may correct me if I'm wrong, but I know you can "dirty flash" the radio, which will upgrade the firmware. If anyone knows if that actually adds "IMBE digital operation" let me know! (Otherwise that may have to be flashed supplement to the firmware upgrade) I have a friend who took an MT 1500 and "dirty flashed" it to add P25, so I do know it can be done.

Also, for quick reference, any flashcode starting in "5" or "1" is capable of digital (P25) operation

Cheers!

Last edited:

talviar

XTL1500 and XTS1500's were either or. . . . either Analog only flash with conventional/Smartnet/Smartzone or P25 conventional / trunking. At least in the 800 MHz versions that have filtered thru my desk for programming.

One of the drawbacks of a low end cheap unit. . . .

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Call Your local dealer and explain what you want. They should be able to order the proper flash upgrade for you.

If they can't or don't understand what you want, call Jeff at Sandy's Communications. He'll be able to order it for you.

Cow

Typically, if your not the original owner of the radio (meaning you bought it new from a dealer) Motorola doesn't like to sell flash upgrades. If you are the original owner, your fine, just talk to your local dealer about the upgrade. (It will cost money tho)

On the ASTRO 25 series of radios, which is yours, I believe a firmware upgrade might do it. (I could be wrong) Some people may correct me if I'm wrong, but I know you can "dirty flash" the radio, which will upgrade the firmware. If anyone knows if that actually adds "IMBE digital operation" let me know! (Otherwise that may have to be flashed supplement to the firmware upgrade) I have a friend who took an MT 1500 and "dirty flashed" it to add P25, so I do know it can be done.

Also, for quick reference, any flashcode starting in "5" or "1" is capable of digital (P25) operation

Cheers!

How do I go about updating the firmware? I have programmed many radios before, but never updated the firmware. Thanks

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
You can purchase a firmware refresh for $75 plus labour.

Once again, visit your local dealer or call Sandy's.

mikewazowski

Staff member
Forums Manager
On the ASTRO 25 series of radios, which is yours, I believe a firmware upgrade might do it. (I could be wrong) Some people may correct me if I'm wrong, but I know you can "dirty flash" the radio, which will upgrade the firmware. If anyone knows if that actually adds "IMBE digital operation" let me know!

No, a firmware upgrade does not change the flashcode which is what is needed to upgrade the radio to digital.

A dirty flash will upgrade the firmware but it doesn't do a proper job. Certain things like the codeplug do not get upgraded using this method. This could lead to incompatibilities between the upgraded components and the non upgraded components.

com501

Purchasing the correct flash upgrade will include a firmware upgrade to the current firmware package also.

ANY Motorola shop SHOULD be capable of doing this, but if your local shop won't for some reason, like Mike said, call Sandy's.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
So can my MOTO tech put a new flashcode in it?

LIke others have noted, you will need to contact a Motorola MSS and have them order a flashkit for you that will update the flashcode and at the same time will bring you up to the current firmware version. This will not be cheap. Expect an easy $200 to $300 bill to do this. A $75 firmware refresh will not change the flashcode of the radio, so there is no cheap way to do this.

There is also another caviot which is what band is this mobile? And if it is 800MHz was it obtained during rebanding? If so that adds a seperate set of complexities especially if there is a need to do 700MHz. You will need to post the exact model # of the radio that is in the codeplug to be able to make that determination.

Last edited:

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
XTL1500 and XTS1500's were either or. . . . either Analog only flash with conventional/Smartnet/Smartzone or P25 conventional / trunking. At least in the 800 MHz versions that have filtered thru my desk for programming.

One of the drawbacks of a low end cheap unit. . . .

This is the typical flash of 800 MHz XTL1500's that I have worked with.

Decoding Flashcode: 508048-001414-4

G806: ASTRO IMBE Digital Operation
G114: Enhanced Digital ID Display
G791: PM1500/XTL1500 Enhanced Software Capabilities
W947: APCO Packet Data Interface
G193: ADP Software Encryption

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT

Cheers!

Most of this is wrong. Please try and post accurate information.

OP, as others have stated... Call Jeff at Sandy's.

WA9TED

Most of this is wrong. Please try and post accurate information.

OP, as others have stated... Call Jeff at Sandy's.

Uh, maybe if you read the entire portion, you would have realized I said "correct me if I'm wrong". I made no claims that this was correct information since I haven't done it myself. I was simply passing on something that a friend of mine did. I was actually hoping that maybe could learn something myself (but obviously not from YOU!)

I think this forum can do without your two cents.

Oh and try and read it all next time...derrrr

WA9TED

No, a firmware upgrade does not change the flashcode which is what is needed to upgrade the radio to digital.

A dirty flash will upgrade the firmware but it doesn't do a proper job. Certain things like the codeplug do not get upgraded using this method. This could lead to incompatibilities between the upgraded components and the non upgraded components.

I appreciate the correction!

Thanks!

SCPD

QRT
Uh, maybe if you read the entire portion, you would have realized I said "correct me if I'm wrong". I made no claims that this was correct information since I haven't done it myself. I was simply passing on something that a friend of mine did. I was actually hoping that maybe could learn something myself (but obviously not from YOU!)

I think this forum can do without your two cents.

Oh and try and read it all next time...derrrr

Obviously, the forum could most certainly do without your two cents. Saying "correct me if i'm wrong" doesn't give you carte blanche to just guess.

I'd appreciate if you avoided the personal attacks.

WA9TED

Obviously, the forum could most certainly do without your two cents. Saying "correct me if i'm wrong" doesn't give you carte blanche to just guess.

I'd appreciate if you avoided the personal attacks.

Your right, I apologize. I'm only out here trying to help. I enjoy the hobby, as of now I'm currently unemployed so that probbally contributed to my snippyness. Like I said I was more or less trying to pass on a story to give the forum something to think about, not trying to give false information.

73s

SCPD

QRT
It's fine.

For your edification, your friend did not add digital operation to his radio by flash-zapping the radio. What he did was jam a codeplug into the radio using depot tools. If one was so inclined, one could change the model number and flashcode of an Astro 25 radio this way. The hardware inside Astro 25 radios is more or less identical across the different models. Essentially, the radio is whatever you tell it it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.