• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

CDM Pin #4 External Alarm Issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Radio_Shop

Hey guys I'm having a very frustrating inconsistant problem with ouR station alarms. I'm using a CDM 1250 and we tone using quick call II.

I have a cdm1250 mounted to a power supply and a relay attached to the side of the radio. The realy is powered off the power supply to pin 85, pin 30 is grounded by pin #7 on the radio 86 is my trigger coming off the radio, And my station lights ground is on 87 and + for the lights is on 85.

THE PROBLEM
I have and problems with some random stations not turning on the lights when the radio recieves tones. I can give 86 ground by using my power probe and the lights come on just like they are suppose to, but yet when the radio recieves tones pin #4 is not giving the relay ground.

WHAT I HAVE CHECKED SO FAR.
I have checked accessory pins in the cps over and over again, all programable pins are set to "Null" except #4 I have that set to "external alarm" am I missing another setting? maybe like a delay or something? I have checked the signaling tab and everything on that end is right because the radio does light up when a call is recieved.

The frustrating thing is it happens on a station everyonce in a while. Yesterday I took 2 brand new 1250's out of the box and neither worked. I'm stumped PLEASE HELP.

cmdrwill

Relay has too low coil resistance?

Only the two coil should be connected to the radio.

cmdrwill

I checked the relay and its at 9.2 ohms, is that too much resistance for the radio to operate?

Sounds like you are trying to use a starter relay.......... 9.2 oms coil resistance is way too low. The radio will choke on that..

CCHLLM

Here's a device that will work for radio activated alarms. Go to elkproducts.com and look up the ELK-924 Sensitive Relay. I have built many siren and light timer control systems for fire/rescue stations using these and other components available from them. They will readily accept the alarm output from any CDM/MaxTrac/Radius 16 pin connectors and require only a 1.2 mA trigger to activate. There are 2 optically isolated 10 amp SPDT relays mounted on a board and configurable for + or - trigger, and are powered by the radio's 12 volt power supply.

This item is only a few bucks - probably around 10-12 bucks shipped. They are in the alarm components manufacturing business, are located in the US, and have numerous components and items useful to the two-way radio business, including timers, relay boards, board mounted audio amps, and other things.

com501

I use the Elk 924 and other products from Elk for a lot of things.

The CDM cannot sink more than about 80ma reliably. You run the risk of it either not working or destroying the gate in the device driving the pin.

CCHLLM

Yes, you could use that model as its 35 mA coil load is within the capability of the CDM alarm output, but for the reason com501 posted I would still choose the ELK-924. The ELK-924's 1.2 mA trigger load would almost be transparent to the CDM, and since the CDM alarm output is electronic instead of a mechanical point closure, the optical isolation from the relay's coil loads is highly beneficial to component reliability and longevity on both sides. Besides, by adding ELK timers to the scheme, one relay can activate a siren timer circuit, and the other relay output can be used to trigger a light timer, thus providing more isolation.

Last edited:

Radio_Shop

Yes, you could use that model as it's only 35 mA coil load, but for the reason com501 posted I would still choose the ELK-924. The ELK-924's 1.2 mA trigger load would almost be transparent to the CDM, and the isolation from the coil load is highly beneficial to component reliability and longevity.

Roger i'll stick with the 924 thanks guys!

Brandon_K

Just to add something for those that still may be using a heavier duty / automotive relay; use a diode around 85 and 86. This will reduce / eliminate the flyback (voltage spike) from the coil of the relay that can smoke the smaller transistor arrays that drive those outputs.

cmdrwill

Just to add something for those that still may be using a heavier duty / automotive relay; use a diode around 85 and 86. This will reduce / eliminate the flyback (voltage spike) from the coil of the relay that can smoke the smaller transistor arrays that drive those outputs.

The relay you describe has too low coil resistance to work properly.

cshort1987

I would like to pick your brain a little over the set up if you dont mind. I'm trying to do almost the same thing for our department

Fire125

FF/EMT/HMRT
Premium Subscriber
so i'm trying to hook up my cdm radio to a flasher or a small light, can i just directly connect it to pin 4? or it's only for alerting system?

Status
Not open for further replies.