• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

what is Y-Split and J-Split and all the different splits mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dgruber

I hear different motorola radios have different splits like Y-Split and J-split. What do these mean?

Thanks!

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
The model number has a character typically in the 4th position that identifies the band the radio was built for.

There's a model number decoder chart on the web, but unfortunately I can't get you the link (I'm posting from my phone - my isp was struck by lightning on Thursday and blew up all their gear).

Here's the ones I can recall off the top of my head:

K - 136-174
R - 403-430
S - 450-470
U - 760-870

U will be 851-870 on older radios.

T is something like 470-520 as well.

Last edited:

N4KVE

For older VHF radios that didn't do the whole 136-174 split, the J split radios did the lower end, like 136-162 mhz, while K would have been 146-174. I've never heard of a Y split radio, but look forward to learning what that was.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Those are all guidelines only. Each model of radio will have a specific frequency range.

A Q split Spectra will be 403-430MHz while a Q split APX will do 380-470MHz.

A lot of radios were also RF module dependent. While you could tell the general frequency range of your radio by the model number, you would have to open it up to determine which part of that range it actually covered.

J/K = VHF
Q/R/S/T = UHF
U = 800MHz

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
W is 900 MHz. However, Motorola didn't start using this scheme until sometime in the 90's. Before then, the band was indicated by the 3rd character and it was a number. E.g. 3 was VHF, 4 was UHF, 5 was 800 and 7 was 900, etc. The most irritating thing about the old radios though was that you couldn't tell a specific range, just whether it was high band, UHF, whatever.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
W is 900 MHz. However, Motorola didn't start using this scheme until sometime in the 90's. Before then, the band was indicated by the 3rd character and it was a number. E.g. 3 was VHF, 4 was UHF, 5 was 800 and 7 was 900, etc. The most irritating thing about the old radios though was that you couldn't tell a specific range, just whether it was high band, UHF, whatever.

Most of my stuff is on the number system. It really depends on the radios. The radius series stayed on the old numbering. Jedi and professional series tended to be on the alpha system. Spectras were on the numbers (some astro series may be alphas). GTX was on the numerical system.

Status
Not open for further replies.