• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Jefferson County Public Safety Question!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksroberson

Hello all, I have a question,
My county is Jefferson County, AL and therefore, when you go to it on the database you get Jefferson County Public Safety trunking system P25 Common Air Interface Motorola type II smartzone. And whenever I go to the control channel, all I hear is a odd noise, like static almost but I guess it's the encryption noise, but my question is what radios does Jefferson county use to decode the radio signal because I bought a MTS2000 and its useless (except for 8 other different channels) but what radio do I buy to hear them on?

N4KVE

By the way, this is the encryption http://www.w2sjw.com/sounds/VSELP.mp3
Motorola ASTRO VSELP
That is the data that you will hear from the data channel on any trunking system. Buy a scanner that allows you to enter your zip code, & city name. All the info is in the radio. You choose the talk groups you want to listen to, & that's it. Easier than making a piece of toast. My friend has been using this radio for a few years, & it's the perfect scanner for dummies. No skill needed. The radio hasn't been available for a while, as GRE stopped production, but Whistler will be making them soon. http://wiki.radioreference.com/index.php/PSR-800

sfd119

IF it is indeed encrypted, yes a Motorola XTS 3000 may do it, no you won't be able to hear them. Think of Encryption as a password for the radio channel...if you don't have it, you don't get to listen.

Sorry.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I have tried using a BCD346XT and I still get that encryption noise Do I need a specific digital scanner?

The 346 is an analog only scanner. Won't work for monitoring systems that use digital.

you need a digital scanner to monitor most activity on the JeffCo system, such as a BC-396, BC-996, BC-436, GRE PSR-500, etc.

most talkgroups on the system are unencrypted digital. This is an older mixed mode system with a 3600 baud control channel, with both analog and digital talkgroups.

to hear the digital, you have to use a digital capable scanner. Simple as that.

johngentle

Mark - i noticed you were once broadcasting Jeffco and Vestavia Hills specifically. could you tell me what scanner you used to get Vestavia Hills? I live in VH and am trying to get them setup, but I am QUITE new. like brand new, so i am clueless, but it appears you had it once.

marksroberson

Mark - i noticed you were once broadcasting Jeffco and Vestavia Hills specifically. could you tell me what scanner you used to get Vestavia Hills? I live in VH and am trying to get them setup, but I am QUITE new. like brand new, so i am clueless, but it appears you had it once.

i was using a bc346xt, i will be making a new VHPD stream soon, send me a private message if you want me to send you the way i programmed it

Status
Not open for further replies.